The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1964 Epiphone " Caiola " "custom" Price Drop
Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2015 8:06 pm    

I've owned since 1978. Caiola's were made from 1963 to 70. The earlier ones were based on the Gibson 330 body (full hollow).In 65 or 66 they were re-styled, with no F-holes and complete new electronics. This is a Kalamazoo built gtr (Gibson bought Epi in 1957. Has been My go-to guitar and was used recently on our new CD (Open Range). This has Epi's famous
slim line neck, and plays like a dream. Frets, were recently professionaly recrowned/polished/dressed. This guitar represents the best of american craftsmanship, and durability. Played thru my Sho-bud "Christmas tree", with a D-130 JBL, You can almost hear bells ringing and Angels singing! Pictures tell the rest. $3900 plus shipping. I would prefer not to ship, but if interested, we can discuss. Thanks for Looking Lonnie

Last edited by Lonnie Portwood on 17 Jan 2015 5:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2015 8:14 pm    

More Pics...

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2015 5:26 pm    

I went to a Vintage guitar show today and got a lesson on the current market conditions re guitars. I saw a 65 ES 335 sell for $10,000 and compared to my Caiola was not even in the same league. Prices ranged from $700 to over $37,000 I just don't get it! There seems no rhyme or reason behind whats happening to this market. I've been playing for 58 years, and I think I have a pretty good understanding about the quality and value of an instrument. Oh well! One has to do, what one has to do.!!!!

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2015 5:37 am    

Lonnie, do you still have the original pickups for the guitar? Also, what's the small white knob with the black dot on it and the extra knob on the upper bout, it it a master volume control?....JH in Va.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2015 10:42 am    

beautiful guitar. i love that era of epiphones.

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2015 12:59 pm    

Jerry, I don't have the originals. It had Hofner's on it when I got it, and I put the Seymour Duncans (alnico) on it. I love these P/U's. I can only imagine that it originally came with mini-Humbuckers or P-90's, which were used during that era. The "pin" down by the Bigsby is where the "vari-a-tone" switch was. These were a rotary switch with pre-set tones. The luthier I bought it from had tried to rework it beause the original had gone bad, but it sounded like crap. so we took it off and plugged it. I never did like those switches, and Gibson did'nt continue those. The upper switch is a master vol.

Chris, I agree Epiphones from that era are just as good as it gets! Thanks guys for looking. Lonnie

Allen Arndt

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2015 8:50 am    

deleted

Last edited by Allen Arndt on 14 Feb 2015 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2015 10:08 am    

Allen, read the history in my post. Epi made these starting in 63 and did'nt start the others w/o F-holes til 65. Also look closely at the orig card from factory listing the gtr as "Caiola Custom Spec" with bigsby, etc. There are a few like mine out there, but very few! Thanks for looking. Lonnie

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2015 10:52 am    

yeah allen, that was an irresponsible post. you should have read the whole thread before saying that.

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2015 12:16 pm    

Another note, I have three LP Stereo albums of Al Caiola and His band that will go with this guitar. One of my albums has Caiola playing one of the later models named for Him, and the other guitarist playing a double cut-a-way Gibson( Not a 335). Caiola has quite a history in the music business, played themes to many Movies, Magnificent Seven, Bonanza, etc. Check Him out on you-tube. One has Him playing a Gretsch. Can you tell I love guitars and history? Lonnie

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 20 Jan 2015 12:35 pm    

What is the scale length?

Allen Arndt

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2015 1:25 pm    

deleted

Last edited by Allen Arndt on 14 Feb 2015 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Allen Arndt

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2015 1:33 pm    

deleted

Last edited by Allen Arndt on 14 Feb 2015 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2015 5:09 pm    

Thanks, Allen for the info. The models mentioned on the sites you referenced were not made until 65/66. The models like mine (what few were made) were started in 63 and I can only assume were special order only, until Epiphone came out with specific models. There is very little definitive info out there about the 63/64 years. According to my serial no. this one is a "64". That, coupled with the factory card info, leads me to believe this is one of the early ones. Nothing here to get twisted up over. There are some things we'll never know, but ain't it fun chasing the "fox". Lonnie

Geoff Cline

Southwest France
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2015 12:44 pm    

Scale length is the key. The Caiolas were all 25.5" ...longer than the usual Gibson/Epiphone scale of 24.75.

AND Lonnie is right...it is a great vintage Epiphone with higher end appointments. It's a great players guitar and one you don't see everyday. Made to be played.

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2015 8:59 pm    

bump

John Kally

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2015 8:35 pm     64 Caiola Custom

Hi Lonnie,
I keep looking at that guitar, and some of the comments since you posted, sure is interesting. If those notes on the hang tag were from the factory or when it was ordered, lots of things make sense that would otherwise be "red flags". For one, the extra $60 for inlays would explain the fancier headstock which has the same inlays as the Sheraton (and Howard Roberts, and Emperor), not the stock Caiola. And of course the Sheraton would have had the standard scale neck, but yours is longer so it's not a Sheraton in disguise. Also the different electronics setup, which are similar to a Sheraton except for the Vari-tone, which I can't recall showing up on any stock Epiphones. So I am guessing it was a special order, which is also explained by the "Special" on the hang tag. I've had a bunch of Gibson and Epiphone hang tags and not seen "special" on one before.FWIW, I'm sure it had the mini-humbuckers originally, not P-90s as I've never seen a Varitone with P90s, plus the mounting would have been different. I think this is a real one-of-a-kind, and good luck with your sale.

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2015 7:59 am    

Thanks, John, for your comments. I agree with your assessment, and I believe this indeed was either a special order, or, sort of a prototype til Epiphone could design the later configuration, which came out in "65" ( I think). Eventually, someone will see and buy this unique piece of history. By the way, this is an amazing "player" which I have enjoyed for many years. I'll be 74 this year and its harder for me to reach some chords on this 25 1/2" scale. I've had to switch to 24 1/2". Thanks again. Lonnie

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2015 8:15 am    

Someone out there is looking for something "special" and this is IT! Don't miss this opportunity. LP

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2015 5:47 pm    

To the top, one more time!

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2015 8:01 pm    

Bump

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2015 6:12 pm    

Bump!!!

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2015 6:10 pm    

Another nudge up!

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2015 7:56 pm    

Take another look! Lonnie

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 6:14 pm    

Here's a picture of Duane Eddy playing this guitar about 1998. We were on our way to St Louis Steel Convention and stopped by Franklin Tn. met Duane and Dallas Fraser, had dinner with them, went back to the hotel and enjoyed Duane's playing for a few minutes. Duane played the most beautiful version of Amazing Grace I've ever heard. It brought tears to my brother's eyes, and to most of us. Thanks for looking. Lonnie