The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finger Picks?
J.C. Norris

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 11:28 pm    

I too like the Delrin thumb pick for steel. I use Blue Chip for banjo. Using some new finger picks from Elderely Music. I have problems with my fingers getting so dry, the picks keep coming off. I ordered a set of medium Acri picks. They stay put without any 'Gorilla Snot'' and I can use the same ones for steel, banjo,& dobro. Used Dunlops for years .020 & liked them fine 'till I started losing them.

J.C Norris Emmons, Peavey, Hilton, Korg, Custom built Banjo, Flinthill banjo, Equip.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2015 10:27 pm    

That Hoffmeyer sales rap is deranged, "old-world craftsmanship"... each pick made with loving kindness, old-fashioned American family-value respect and finally, dipped in our secret mojo-juice... don't you have any PLIERS and SANDPAPER?!? Whoa!

http://rs100.pbsrc.com/albums/m1/stubhead/Steel%20guitar/ACRI1.jpg~c100

Acri picks rule, and they really ARE made by a crazy old guy in a cave up in the mountains!

http://www.jdmc.com/product/2016B-M.html

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2015 12:11 pm    

John Booth....look on the Thread "Thumb pick mod"

I've mentioned about Propik ....great thumb picks and finger picks too.

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Wayne Shriver

New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2015 8:37 am     Newbie finger pick issues

I just started to play the lap steel and unlike when I started to learn standard guitar, with a single pick, I never dreamed my biggest obstacle at the very start is using finger picks. I have passed the 70yr old point in life, and have dreamed of playing steel all my life. But, trying to get the finger picks to stay on, and getting my index and middle fingers to stop banging into each other is a BIG problem -without even playing one single song. They either fall off, or are too tight if I get them to stay on, or hit each other as I try to pick the strings as I practice the finger picking exercises my instructor gave me. So on to lesson 2 tomorrow, and I haven't accomplished anything because I can't use the picks.

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2015 9:31 am     Re: Newbie finger pick issues

Wayne....you know the saying "Try and try again" Try bending your picks till they are quite a tight fit, then before playing, (this may sound weird) but wet your thumb and fingers a "LITTLE" then put your picks and thumb pick on nice and tightly. The majority of us do that....It works Smile

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.