The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fat String Blocking
Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2015 9:37 am    

I was doing fingering exercises on the C6th neck last night picking T-M-T-M from the first string to the tenth and back, focusing on speed, technique, etc., when I realized how hard it is to cleanly block the last two (9, but especially 10) strings on C6th. I tried both palm and pick, wasn't particularly happy with either. It seems to me these heavy strings really have some vibration to them, which also explains why I seem to get so much buzzing when I pick them.

Does anyone have any technique or do anything different in terms of blocking these (or picking for that matter), or is it just more practice? I can't say I've spent a lot of time blocking on the C6th, expecially down on 9 and 10.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2015 12:53 pm    

Try diffent blocking methods including pick blocking and blocking with your thumb on the bar hand for the bass strings. Also, Larry Behm turned me on through one of his video tapes about ring finger under on your picking hand the blocks the strings.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2015 11:42 am     Blocking....................

Until a few years ago, I'd NEVER even HEARD of "BLOCKING", pick or palm!

My playing technique DID enable me to play in top bands in this area for a number of years.

Like speed picking, do you feel it just might be possible that too many of the newer players have been lead down the wrong road........in relation to their position in the music world.

Just learn to play the melody of any given song, in each and every key position up and down the neck. If you discover a particular string is ringing when you don't want it to, simply drop the heel of your right hand onto the offending string and zapp, the ringing stops.

I'd urge you to not spend so much time worrying about this kind of stuff and simply practice your guitar.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2015 12:21 pm    

Ray, I've heard your videos; you don't get that clean without a LOT of blocking.
Just because you haven't discussed the term, or consciously worked on it doesn't mean you don't do it (and do it well).
And I'd think that deliberately focusing on certain aspects as you practice can get the skills nailed down quickly. More quickly than just trial and error.
There are four ways I can think of to get blocking down:
1: come by it naturally. This is rare;
2: discover it by trial and error. This can waste lots of time;
3: have someone teach the concepts and techniques, or
4: read about them on the net in places like this.
3 will get you there the quickest

Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2015 4:14 pm    

Well until this morning I had never heard of "mouth trumpeting" but that doesn't mean it didn't exist (turns out it's a new phrase for something we did as kids years ago, but now some enterprising people in Baltimore are being paid to give lessons in it--you can't make this up). But I digress. I'm guessing you've always blocked, probably didn't think about it and never talked about it. Fact is good playing, whether melody or not, requires some blocking. I was just wondering if someone found a better way on those fat .38 strings, looks like Len is onto something. My quest continues.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2015 6:57 pm    

Quote:
Does anyone have any technique or do anything different in terms of blocking these

Yes! Its called felt. Rolling Eyes That is my remedy...
Dave

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2015 9:44 pm    

Just a bit ago, I asked if anyone had pictures of some sort of ramp or pad below the low strings, over in the no-pedal section. Several people told me to "work on my technique." And what I realized was, when you know how to play rock guitar with some gain, it's a widespread and essential technique to play notes while applying a partial mute with your palm. And steel players don't do that. When you palm block on a steel, it doesn't matter where your palm comes down or at what angle, but to play effectively while muting you've got, maybe, a half inch location your palm has to stay at...

On a six-string it's easy, but on a 10 (or 12!) string steel, you're palm just isn't long enough to do this without moving in and out (parallel to bridge). I though a ramp to support and place your palm was such a no-brainer there'd be lots of them, because it ADDS consistency in placement. Then I realized, you never hear steel players even try that stuff. If you want to mute the lowest 2, 3, even 4 strings in a motion consistent with the high strings, you need SOMEthing there. Right now I just have a whittled piece of rigid packing foam double-taped on there, but I have a little aluminum block in the works. I don't quite want to go all Al DiMeola here... Very Happy Maybe a little.

So the short answer is, give up! E9th steel players don't get the question. The long answer is, stick a little something at the end of the pickup to keep your blocking motions and pick angles consistent.

Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2015 4:16 pm    

For some reason it seems the steel community is, as a general rule, is resistant to the use of technology to enhance ones playing. I'm having a hard time conceptualizinsg your contraption, maybe you can send a pic when it's done?

Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2015 5:01 pm     blocking

It isn't unusual to find a steel player that naturally blocks oneway or the other. I have a student of 5 years who never had to deal with this. In some ways this mirrors the 6 string guitar. Some pick down up down without any prompts from the teacher. No explanation needed.I needed to be shown how to block. With out this help I wouldn't' be where I am today. I chuckle when I have to explain the two different methods to someone who does this without thinking.

L