The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Maverick Decals
Tony Boadle

Skibbereen, County Cork, Ireland
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 8:12 am    

Hi,
I'm restoring an old ShoBud Maverick which seems to have been sprayed dark red. I can see good wood beneath, I'd love to take off the paint and re-finish the cabinet.
However, if I do that I'll need to replace the two decals: 'ShoBud Nashville Tennessee' and 'Maverick'....
both in white. Pics available if there are different styles, these are 2 1/2" x 1" and 1 1/2" x 1" approx. The guitar is a non-roller nut model with the teardrop headstock.
Any advice on where to start looking would be welcome.
And if I can get a set of strings from the same source, all the better!
Thanks in advance, Tony
PS: Is there a roller nut insert available btw?

David Shepack

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 10:40 am     since it is already customized……...

You don't need to worry about keeping it vintage, not that the Maverick is an extremely valuable collectable. You could get a mother of pearl inlay that would look much better than a decal. Or…do without a name plate. It sounds like the original wood flavored shelving style paper was removed, if your model came with that. Know that the wood on the Mavericks is very nice maple. Maple isn't known for loving to be stained, but many Maverick owners choose to stain them when they are restoring them. Also, the natural wood looks great without staining.
Hey guys PLEASE correct me if I am wrong. ( PS I own a Maverick )
Gibson RB4 Banjo

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 4:08 pm    

Tony, if you can take some clear, high-def photos of the existing decals, a local print or sign shop should be able to make some reproduction decals for you. Alternately, if you have a local Art School or University with an Art Department, you may be able to enlist some help making repros from the print shop there. HTH.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 4:24 pm    

Tony, I don't if he has Maverick decals, but formite James Moorehead has a variety of Sho~Bud decals for sale...he is the only guy I can think of, that could possibly help you.
shobud@windstream.net
Email him and ask

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 4:57 pm    

Bobbe Seymore used to have decals. Maybe Vic still has them in the new store.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 5:28 pm     Re: since it is already customized……...

David Shepack wrote:
You don't need to worry about keeping it vintage, not that the Maverick is an extremely valuable collectable. It sounds like the original wood flavored shelving style paper was removed, if your model came with that.
Hey guys PLEASE correct me if I am wrong. ( PS I own a Maverick )

i think you're wrong. if the maverick came with a teardrop headstock and no roller nut, it also had nice natural maple and a raised neck. these are good bodies...better than the later shelf paper model.

Tony Boadle

Post  Posted 21 Dec 2014 2:35 am     Maverick decals

Thanks team, as always.
Yes, it has the raised neck and I'm fairly sure the wood is worth exposing. I don't want to scrape off any paint until I know I can get the decals, I'm basing my opinion on a few scrapes and scratches btw, the easiest option would be to make up a colour and touch up the blemishes, but I was the short-term owner of a maple Maverick some years ago, and would like to regain the look of that model.
I'll check out the advice offered and take it from there...I appreciate it's not some rare collector's item, but if you're doing a job, you might as well do it right etc.
Thanks again, and Season's Greetings to you all from across the pond.
Tony.
PS: I remember as a child in the UK building plastic model planes and boats from kits. If it was an Airfix (UK)kit, the instructions involved applying 'transfers' and if it was a Revell (USA) kit, it was 'decals'. This was my first experience of the language barrier between us !!!

David Shepack

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2014 8:45 am     Tony

Don't get me wrong, The Maverick, to me, is worthy of a top notch effort, and I would really like to see before and after photos. I have big plans for my Maverick, but have let time pass because I never seem to want to have it out of commission.
Anyway, please share any tips or tricks you come up with.
Gibson RB4 Banjo

Tony Boadle

Post  Posted 21 Dec 2014 9:28 am     Maverick

OK David, I'll post some before pics over the break and get started once the festive relatives have cleaned us out and gone back lol! Seasonal Greetings from Ireland.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2014 11:01 am    

tony...below is a pic of a shelf paper mav..they even clean up well.

and this emmons had been oversprayed red. i sanded it down pretty well and my buddy sprayed it with lacquer. the lighter shade allows some woodgrain to show through, though there wasn't much figuring on this back. prep work needs to be pretty good, but not perfect.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2014 11:17 am    

Tony, If you decide to stain it...Go to a shoe/boot repair shop, and get a small size leather dye of your color choice,clear topcoat....Works great..BF

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2014 2:48 pm    

The red paint is probably factory original, especially since the decals are white. Not as common as the natural maple ones but they do exist. I have one. I've also seen them with blue paint, also original but even less common.

Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2014 3:45 am    

Michael Maddex wrote:
Tony, if you can take some clear, high-def photos of the existing decals, a local print or sign shop should be able to make some reproduction decals for you. Alternately, if you have a local Art School or University with an Art Department, you may be able to enlist some help making repros from the print shop there. HTH.

You can also purchase water slide decal stock and print your own. Can find it at Staples, Office Depot or online.

David Shepack

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2014 3:21 pm     Hey Tony

How very cool is it to get seasons greetings all the way from Ireland. Thank you, and you have a merry, happy everything.

P.S. If my Maverick was red…..I would hang stockings on it ha ha
Gibson RB4 Banjo