The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ MSA pedal device, only 1 ever made
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 2:13 am    

This is not my guitar. I'm posting this for a friend.

Most of the MSA pedal units were installed on Peavey guitars. This is the only one installed on a Les Paul.

The guitar is also equipped with coil taps and a phase switch for greater versatility.

The asking price is $10,000.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2013 12:55 pm    

Hey Mike, I'd love to have that guitar but it's way too expensive for me. As far as it being the only one ever made, I don't think that's true. When Phil Baugh was still living in Dallas he was associated with MSA. He and Maurice Anderson came to Blackie Taylor's music store when it was still in Hawaiian Gardens, Ca. to do a promo thing for MSA. This must have been in the late sixties or very early seventies. Anyway, Phil had brought a Gibson Les Paul with one of the MSA guitar pedal units installed on it. I believe it was a sunburst LP though so this probably isn't the same guitar. I remember I was in total awe of the thing and really wanted one but Blackie Taylor convinced me to buy a new Blanton S-10 pedal steel instead, and it was cheaper.........JH in Va.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2013 7:24 pm    

Looks like Phil is playing an L5S in this picture.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2013 8:15 pm    

I was told by the owner that this was the only Les Paul with the unit. The man might have been mistaken, but I don;t think he was deliberately lying.

Then again Jerry, I think Darvin is right. The guitar in the picture appears to be an L5S, not an Les Paul. He could have been playing that.

At any rate, if you are interested in the guitar, I can put you in touch with the owner, and you can negotiate the price.

Marlin Smoot

Kansas
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2013 7:05 am     Msa Lp

I too saw the MSA driven Sunburst Gibson LP. Bud Carter showed it to me when he was next door to Norris Family Music (Outside of Dallas, TX). This must of been in the early 1990's.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2013 2:42 pm    

Hey Mike, after looking at the pic of Phil, I believe that's the guitar he was playing and not a Les Paul.......JH in Va.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2013 3:09 pm    

Eargasm. Any sounds?

Allen Arndt

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2013 6:12 pm     You Tube

MSA Guitar Pedal Attachment Promo circa 1981 ......
Check it out on you tube.

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2014 11:27 am     wow

I bet that Paul sounds GREAT!

Andy Eder

North Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2014 3:38 am     Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ MSA pedal device, only 1 ever made

I am aware of the 1971 LP Custom with MSA Pedal system that was on ebay and have been in touch with the guy selling it for his friend. That guitar at this time is MIA.

Thanks for the note and please let me know if you hear of anything else like this one. Any guitar with pedals will be fine.

Andy Eder

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2014 6:46 am     Re: Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ MSA pedal device, only 1 ever

Andy Eder wrote:
I am aware of the 1971 LP Custom with MSA Pedal system that was on ebay and have been in touch with the guy selling it for his friend. That guitar at this time is MIA.

The owner passed away a few months ago.

Redd V

Galax Va
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2014 7:01 am     Hmmmm.

Here is a link thats adds a bit:
http://www.fretboardjournal.com/blog/catch-day-1971-gibson-les-paul-custom-msa-pedal-attachment

Also this picture on Phil's "Country Guitar II"
album cover shows the same rig, and questions if the one for sale is the same guitar.

I just thought this link might add, shed more light or remind someone else of more info
. . . I can't afford a guitar like this, but am a huge Phil Baugh fan.
Redd

Andy Eder

North Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2014 7:48 am     Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ MSA pedal device, only 1 ever mad

I need the copedant, I've watched the video(not of Phil) and I think I got it but I don't think he ever uses the high E string or the first pedal.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2014 11:28 am    

I had a Peavey T60 for several years that had this attachment, but I never could get used to it. The cables made the guitar extremely out of balance and it was hard for me to keep the neck down. There was one pedal per string, and you could raise or lower that string. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think the high E raised a full step, the A raised a full step, the D raised a half step, can't remember what the G and B did, and the low E was the boo-wah, and lowered 2 1/2 steps? Mine was extremely hard on strings too due to the small rollers in the bridge. I've toyed around with some ideas on a different concept, maybe I'll do something with it after I retire in a few years.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Andy Eder

North Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2014 11:39 am     Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ MSA pedal device, only 1 ever made

Darvin,

What I got out of the video, not Phil but another guy, was this:
Low E drops to B below
A drops to G
D raises to E
G raises to A
B raises to c# or C and
he didn't use the first pedal.

Any more input is welcome.

What happened to your Peavey? Did you buy it new or used and what was the cost?

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by Andy Eder on 23 Dec 2014 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2014 12:39 pm    

I bought mine used, but had to do some work on it to get it playable. The second string would break after about 4 or 5 pulls. After having it several years, I finally got the time to pull it apart and see why. The first two or three strings were dragging across a sharp corner of the body cavity that had not been milled out far enough. I modified it and took care of that problem, but it still broke strings pretty regular. I sold it to a guitar player in the northeastern US, and I don't want to disclose prices, but you could buy a nice D10 pedal steel for what I sold it for.

Rick Baker

Myrtle Beach, SC
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2014 1:59 pm     Msa

http://youtu.be/EbUR6wI5w8s

This may help
1998 VG Strat (Roland G-5)