The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Picked up a National New Yorker today...
Scott Parker

Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2014 9:09 pm    

This is my first post on here, and just thought I'd introduce myself and say hi to everyone. Have been wanted to pick up a lap steel and had the opportunity today.

I picked up what seems to be a 1935(?) National New Yorker today. Didn't seem like a bad deal for $100. Have no idea if it works, but seems all original. This apparently is the three pickup model (one visible pickup and the other two are under the fretboard), which was made in the mid 1930's?

I don't play lap steel (I play guitar and banjo). Ordered up 1/4" cable with a Switchcraft 2501f connector on the other end and some GHS GLSC6 strings for C6 tuning.

Anyone have any more info on this particular model and how it sounds? I like playing old school country music.

Fred Kinbom

Berlin, Germany, via Stockholm, Sweden.
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2014 2:11 am    

That's a really good deal. I hope it works, and if not, I'm sure the fix would not be expensive.

I am a big fan of these multi-pickup New Yorkers - I have a 1937 one (I used to have two of them). If you search the forum you will find plenty of info.

Here is a track where I play my 1937 New Yorker (Sarah Blasko's contribution to a tribute album to The Wiggles):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqcR96y8zBU

All the best,

Fredrik

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2014 2:46 am    

Welcome to the wide, wide world of lap steel guitar, and especially to this Forum. Be aware that these little 6-strings are highly addictive. You may as well case up that armpit guitar and banjo for awhile, as they're bound to get dusty from inactivity.

New Yorkers are one of the all-time classic lap steel models. $100.00? Sounds like Santa came early in Colorado this season. That is a seriously smokin' hot deal, Scott. Congratulations.

Good luck!

Scott Parker

Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2014 4:20 am    

Thanks guys for the kind words. I'm pretty excited, albeit a bit overwhelmed! You guys play in a TON of different tunings! Makes it tough for a newb to decide on what tuning to start with!

Do you guys think that C6 is a good place to start for a guy who likes to play old school country and more modern alt-country/country rock along the lines of old Son Volt and Wilco type stuff? I know a lot of guys like to use an open G/dobro tuning for their lap steels, but I have a Melody maker that I keep in open G and figured that it would be a bit redundant to use the same tuning for the lap steel, and should be adventurous and try something different.

Thoughts and comments on that are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2014 4:38 am    

The New Yorkers generally go for a lot more.
They are cool guitars and sought after as well.
I'm sure some of the fellas on here will help you with the tunings.
JB

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2014 7:21 am    

Congratulations and welcome, Scott! I think C6th will be a great tuning for the types of music you mentioned wanting to play. There are lots of resources for learning that tuning.

$100 is a steal. Even if it doesn't work currently, it should be relatively easy to get it working.

Jim Bloomfield

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2014 11:41 am    

Nice to see you on here Scott! Welcome.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2014 11:59 am    

You've started out with a good lap steel. $100 is a very good price. I have two. One is in perfect condition and I paid a lot more than that for it. The other I paid $66 for in a completely dilapidated condition and rebuilt.

Last edited by Alan Brookes on 16 Dec 2014 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scott Parker

Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2014 4:23 pm    

Alan Brookes wrote:
You've started out with a good lap steel. $100 is a very good price. I have two. One is in perfect condition and I paid a lot more than that for it. The other I paid $60 for in a completely dilapidated condition and rebuilt.

I saw your thread chronicling the restoration. Really enjoyed it!

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2014 5:17 pm    

Scott Parker wrote:
...I saw your thread chronicling the restoration. Really enjoyed it!

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=173043&highlight=restoration+yorker
Thanks, Scott. Very Happy

Scott Parker

Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 12:07 am    

Received the cable in the mail today. Everything seems to work! Still waiting for the strings to be delivered, but plugged it in and tapped on all three pickups and they all appear to work, as does all of the controls!

Fred Kinbom

Berlin, Germany, via Stockholm, Sweden.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 7:27 am    

That's great news Scott!

I had the opposite experience plugging in my 1937 New Yorker (the one I kept) the first time - here you can read the whole saga of its repair:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=132669

Which had a happy ending thanks to forum members helping out, with Basil H. repairing what I could not fix myself. Smile

Cheers,

Fredrik

Scott Parker

Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2014 9:24 pm    

Put some GHS strings on earlier tonight. Everything works! Sounds nice, but would sound better if I knew how to play it! May need a new nut and/or saddle. Awesome thing is, earlier I was going to get my haircut at my barber but was early and noticed a guitar shop a block away. It's a small repair shop that also sells some gear. Went in and chatted them up. Amazing people, and the owner showed me a few old lap steels, some old Gibson hollow bodies he was restoring and were just overall nice guys. May bring the National in for them to check out tomorrow.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 7:42 am    

Scott Parker wrote:
May need a new nut

Judging from the photo, I would definitely cut a new nut for the National. Just be sure to save the old one.

Bar slants are so much easier when the string spacing is wider at the nut. I made a new nut for an old Supro and fanned out the spacing considerably. Huge improvement, in my opinion.