The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  brass swivels and bell cranks
Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 6:25 am    

I've looked around on Grainger and other places like McMaster Carr and cannot seem to find brass collars with a set screw or swivels to use as eccentrics. I can make my own, but thought if I could find a resource it would save some time.

What I was hoping for was a 3/16 OD brass barrel drilled to accept a 3/32 size pull rod with hex / allen set screw (size of set screw does not matter to me.

This is for a bell crank idea which has been done many times over. Not trying to re-invent the wheel, just doing some modifications, and tinkering with a new bell crank design. You know....digging around for hardware etc etc.

Any suggestions would surely be welcomed.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 7:24 am    

McMaster Carr sells pre-threaded stand offs that are perfect- just drill for the rod sized desired and go- several lengths are available.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 8:09 am    

I see pre-threaded standoffs at mcmaster.com but don't see how they would be useful under a steel guitar. Do you have a photo of the part you're talking about?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 10:04 am    

It sounds like you are looking for Carter parts. If you want them predrilled to accept a 3/32" rod, Al Brisco has them. Someone else might have some, but I have been unsuccessful in finding them.

Earnest... It sounds like he is describing the swivel that the intermediate rod rod attaches to in the bell crank on a cross shaft, where the other end of the rod hooks to the knee lever assembly. I bought 6 of those from Al, and have them on the A, B, C pedals of my Carter in place of the brass pull pins (dog bones) that wear down and break.
On page 21 is what I think he is describing. The socket head cap screw can be replaced with a set screw.

http://www.steelguitarscanada.com/online-store/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/2014-Carter-Parts-Catalog.pdf

I believe Michael Yahl makes 1/4" ones with an 1/8" hole.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 12:38 pm    

They are the standard MSA-like brass barrels/pull pins~ just gotta drill the holes in them for the rods. Glad to send a pic if needed still.

Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 3:29 pm     standoffs

Look again at the stand offs. You can buy short ones that are threaded at both ends for set screws that will immobilize the changer rod. All you need to do then is select a stand off length that fits the width of your bell cranks and then drill a hole the size of your changer rod through the round side of the standoff and tighten the set screws against the changer rod to immobilize it. I'm doing this same thing on my latest Flynn pedal steel,

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 27 Nov 2014 4:27 am    

You guys are right. I some how missed the brass and aluminum stand offs in McMaster Carr, trying to find 3/16. But went back and found them. Many Thanks. Jim - I answered your last email. Thanks Pal. BB

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2014 1:04 pm    

If you're looking for something like this (Emmons style), any RC hobby type store will have them in various sizes

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 7:16 am    

Thanks Ian, yes I have some of those too. Those are collars that RC modelers use for axles and such (I think). Where, they are close and will work in some cases. Thanks, Bill

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2014 2:57 pm    

I have used the McMaster-Carr stand offs, the biggest problem is getting the rod hole in the center, also have used a longer one to pull more than one string on one bellcrank that have the same move,like strings 4&5.

BF