The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  FRANK GAY Rosewood Dreadnaught--Opry Stars Guitars Luthier
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 10:45 am    

Frank Gay (1920-82) was an accomplished Canadian performer and luthier, whose most renowned work was a series of highly ornamented (some have said "rococo") steel-string guitars built in the 50s and 60s for American country icons like Johnny Cash, Carl Smith, Webb Pierce (he had two), Faron Young and Hank Snow among others.

This is a 1980 non-celebrity Indian rosewood/spruce dreadnaught, with what appears to be a multi-layer laminated koa neck with a walnut(?) headstock. No shortage of fretboard and headstock inlays. Still, this is pretty subdued compared to other F. Gay's I've seen. Gay was renowned as a classical guitarist and I wonder if the neck construction might be in the classical/flamenco tradition rather than the familiar dovetail joint? (Not a real concern at the moment because the action is fine. Condition is very good+ or better. Gay's fine detail workmanship is not quite in the class of Collings, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, etc., but sound, historical connection, design and exuberant ornamentation are the selling features here. The guitar sounds great and comes in what would appear to be an original hardshell case.

$1650 shipped in the USA including PayPal because I will have this packed and shipped by the UPS Store for maximum protection (for the buyer, the guitar and me.) Local SoCal transactions welcomed.

Email me if appropriately intrigued.