The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reso Question
John Mulligan

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 3:07 pm    

I have a resonator guitar, round neck, and one of the tuners broke. It's a Rogue guitar and I have heard the tuners will break on them. It's a good loud, resonant guitar otherwise. So, I'm not very handy. I imagine I am up to changing tuners, but I am worried about having an effect on the cone due to improper unloading of pressure. So, can I change the tuner one one side, put the strings back on, and then change the other three? I know it sounds obvious but I thought I'd ask. I don't want to pay a pro to do it but I will if that's the advice I get.

Thanks in advance!

Paul Honeycutt

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 5:28 pm    

You could do one at a time or all at a time. I wouldn't worry about it. Just take your time and do it right.

If I'm wrong someone will let us know.

Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 7:03 pm    

Replacing all the tuners at once should cause no noticeable change to your cone at worst case minor adjustment should take care of it. Before retightning your strings check your cone alignment ie make sure the bridge is parallel to the nut and that the cone is not binding. Your main concern would be getting tuners that are compatible with your headstock, mainly that the holes are the correct diameter. Stewmac has a good selection of replacement tuners and give specs as to which hole size is required. I'm assuming you mean to up grade your present tuners.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 5:46 am    

Changing out a tuner is essentially the same as changing a string... You have to change strings once in a while anyway. But on a resonator I would change one at a time, bring the string up to pitch and then move on to the next tuner (and string).

Just my 2 cents.
Dom

Dan Mahoney

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 11:15 am    

Most pro dobro players change strings one side/three strings at a time. If your tuners are the old style with three on one plate then you have no choice. There is plenty of pressure on the cone with three strings still in tune. Remove them from out to in and put them back on in to out. Fast and easy.

John Mulligan

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 12:53 pm    

Thanks, everybody! I do have the three on a plate setup, so I'm glad to hear it won't be a problem. Thanks for all your responses!

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2014 10:43 am    

I have never heard of any reso player changing 3 strings at a time. Just googled changing reso strings and non of the hits recommended changing more than a string at a time. I most certainly would not recommend changing 3 at a time. Maybe thats why the pros are pros they can change 3 at a time. Laughing

Tom Keller

John Mulligan

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2014 10:46 am    

That may be, Tom, but I'm changing tuners, not strings.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2014 12:20 pm    

Every so often cone maintenance, pickup installation, etc. requires removal of all the strings, and with the care Dan mentions, you should be fine.

Whatever you do though, don't drop your girlfriend or start divorce proceedings until you're all finished. Everyone knows it's bad form to change partners in the middle of a tuner.

Last edited by Mark van Allen on 25 Nov 2014 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Dan Mahoney

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2014 10:18 am    

I've been doing it this way for a long time. Sally Van Meter was the first person to suggest it to me quite a while ago. It makes string changes much quicker and you get to clean the areas under all of the strings quite easily. Once you've tried it you'll never go back to one changing at a time.