The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Holy Grail???
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 11:46 am    

I'm Not Sure Why Some Folks Look Upon A Famous Players Personal PSG As Being "The Holy Grail" ??? To Me It's Only A Piece Of Wood & Metal.

In The Early 1970s I Saw Curly Chalker's "Cross Over" Sho-Bud On The 3rd Floor Loft At Sho-Bud. It had Been Sitting There For A few Years & was very Dusty & Looked Like A piece Of Crap. Oh Well

Roger

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 11:55 am    

Back in 93 or 94 at the TSGA Jamboree, Tom Morrell and I were both looking at Curly Chalker's Fingertip Sho~Bud... the one that was on the cover of "Big Hits on Big Steel"... that a vendor had for sale at his booth. It had the little gold plaque and everything, though it had some knee levers added. The guy at the booth was asking $1000 for it. Tom and I both came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth that much. Exclamation Laughing

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 3:26 pm    

Curlys fingertip sho bud. Yes I remember that guitar well and Herb, I just really wish now I had bought it just to have. Seems like Steve Lamb had maybe traded Bud Carter out of it? I don't remember the whole story. I know Steve had it in the store at steel city in ft worth in 94 or around then. Cecil Johnson and I had a similar conversation about it. It was a pitiful looking old thing. I think Seymour may have ended up with it.

How's it going in the Hill country Herb?

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 3:40 pm    

It was Steve Lamb that had the Curly 'Bud in his booth.

I'm doing well up in Briarcliff, Bill. It's a long ways from Austin (30 miles), but then again, who wants to fight the freakin' traffic in that Hell hole... acknowledged as one of the most congested traffic cities in the USA?

I'm playing almost exclusively with Gary P. Nunn now, since he works about as much as I want to, pay is good, band is good, GPN is a compadre of over 40 years, etc. Gracefully gliding through the winter of my career and enjoying it. Wink

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 7:23 pm    

Herb that sounds like the Holy Grail of fun gigs to me. Last time I saw GPN Danny Hawk was playing steel for him. We had a lot of fun with those guys. Cruising down US 281.......
Gary P is good people. I worked with somebody???? and we opened for GPN I think was when I met Danny. Probably in 98 or 99. Ask me what I like about TX!! He even included "Herb Steiner on Pedal Steel" in some lyrics..,,what a guy.
Glad you are enjoying.