The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ankle Problems - Workaround or give it up?
Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 8:01 am    

I'm 58 years old and lately have been having frequent problems with soreness and stiffness in my left ankle. I am a beginner on the pedal steel and I know that a lot of moves on the A / B pedals require twisting the ankle to ease off or on a pedal. Is there a way I can work around this with satisfactory results or is it going to be a major disability or limitation? Really trying to decide if it might be time to let go of the pedal and put all my efforts in non pedal.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 8:12 am    

The more you play, the easier it will get. You're trying to teach your feet,ankles and knees a new trick and it takes time to acclimate them to new positions. I used to get a little pain from the muscle at the front of my left shin bone. It stopped hurting after a while and today, it doesn't bother me at all. Unless you have a physical malady, you should work it out after a while.

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 9:23 am    

No, that's what I mean, I hAve pain soreness & stiffness when I'm not playing. I've injured the ankle before and it is probably arthritis or something.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 10:21 am    

I adjusted my left knee levers to help me work the pedals. I have great range of motion for the "A" only pedal, but very limited range of motion for the "B" only stuff.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 5:00 pm    

I just think of how much mileage Don Warden got playing that one pedal Sho~Bud. Sure, ankle movements are nice, but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 5:14 pm    

Don's playing was pretty basic and repetitive. That may be an option for him though. To get the most out of the E9 tuning, you need to be able to rock on and off pedals and to do it on one pedal while holding an ajacent pedal down.

We don't really know his goal in learning. Have you tried seeing if you can play with your ankles using a "Day" setup. You can do this without changing you rods around. Just loosen the nylon tuner on the C pedal, E to F# change so it doesn't activate when you press the C pedal. This will effectively make your C pedal now your A pedal.

But, by seeing that your ankle problem is happening with your everyday life, you should be seeing a doctor for advice, not the steel guitar forum.

If it was me, I would define what I want to accomplish on the pedal steel. If you want to play Buddy Emmons licks and such, without the ability to rock on and off pedals, it most likely won't happen. Do some soul searching and find out just what you want to accomplish.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 5:57 pm    

Assuming most of your pain issue is with the tilting moves and not simply pressing on and off a pedal...here's an idea to try:

Maybe keep b on the floor and put the a pedal changes on the left vertical knee lever. A lot of the placement that exists is probably the result of evolution of the instrument over time.

The advantage of having the a pedal on lkv is accessing that raise is easy when your are depressing a pedal, the disadvantage is that the a pedal is also often used by itself, and this will need some muscle toning, but if you're just beginning you'll grow into it.

You can try this location in 3 minutes by moving the string 5 lower rod to a raise hole.

As long as your e levers are msa style on the right knee, this would be fine for 90 percent of E9 straight up steel playing.

If you have so much pain that ankle movements are totally out of the question, another approach is to look at the C6 neck. Most players have 5 pedals and one knee lever. A lot of uni players have the P6 on a knee, and a very few other players put the boowah on a knee. I've seen one guy with P5 on a knee, and there's at least two players with P7 on a knee, including myself...

So, pretty clear that a person could theoretically play all the main C6 pedals on knee levers instead. Smile

Last edited by Tom Gorr on 20 Nov 2014 7:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 6:33 pm    

Moving A to the vertical is assuming he has one. Even so, it is a good idea, but I would probably put on the right knee. And, I would put the B pedal on a lever instead. Probably less travel required. Seeing as how B is used often by itself or with the E to D#, it might be hard on his ankle to have to plant his foot down to be able to use the vertical by itself. Of course, putting the B pedal on the right knee would force him to put both E string levers on the left knee. I think that Putting the B pedal on a lever on the left knee would cause a lot more pain than the right knee.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 7:18 pm     soreness & stiffnes around the ankle

Jim, everything about this instrument has challenged me, physically and mentally. However, every obstacle you overcome makes playing it, more rewarding. I certainly hope you don't have to give it up! What are you using for a seat? Perhaps you are to low or need your pedal height adjusted? Try a 1" block under your left heel, then gradually wheene yourself from it. This helped me build that muscle memory for my left foot, strengthening it as well. Also getting out of that kitchen chair and onto a pac-a-seat helped a great deal. Only trying to help, good luck.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 9:26 pm    

Keep playing because the steel is a beautiful instrument. As a steel guitar player with cerebral palsy in my left hand, I can tell you that the best thing to do is stay with the playing. You can overcome obstacles that get in your way. When I first started playing steel fourteen years ago, I had to try different steel guitar bars for my left hand, and found my current bar in 2003 and have been using it since then. Playing pedal steel is a rewarding experience!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 12:39 am     psg

Do you play Emmons or Day set up?

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 4:11 am    

Just an idea,
Would it help if you moved the pedals to say, 2,3 & 4
or 3,4 &5
where you could use them more easily?

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 5:20 am    

You may have tried it, but I know lowering the pedals closer to the floor helps me. Just a thought. Keep them high enough to clear carpeted stages, rugs, etc.
When I was no longer able to wear cowboy boots, this helped me tremendously.

Good luck. Keep at it. You will find a solution.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 5:31 am    

I assume you have worked with doctors and therapists? I know my joints like me better with occasional Icy Hot and regular consumption of glucosamine and chondroitin.

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 5:34 am    

I assume you have used one of those elastic & velcro ankle wraps too?

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 10:09 am     Ankle

Like John mentioned...I have noted that some use the Emmons set up on the 2,3 pedals and have what they call ( I think zero pedal on 1). I have thought about that myself. I would like to be more at ease on the A+F combo. Anyway, those Emmons pedal rolls keep your ankles moving.

Jim, hope you find a good solution. God be with you so you can keep playing.
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.

Tony Leary

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2014 5:21 pm    

Hello Jim , I also suffer with ankle issues from sporting injuries. I found if I raised my left heel, like a volume pedal does with right ankle there was less stress on my ankle , and gradually over time was not needed . Just some 2 inch foam was good for me, good luck with it .

Tony Leary

Post  Posted 23 Nov 2014 5:25 pm    

Hello Jim , I also suffer with ankle issues from sporting injuries. I found if I raised my left heel, like a volume pedal does with right ankle there was less stress on my ankle , and gradually over time was not needed . Just some 2 inch foam was good for me, good luck with it .

Tony Leary

Tony Leary

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2014 6:07 pm     Pedal movement

Try Taking off your shoe and put on 2 pair of socks and do the A pedal up and down with your big toe and the b pedal with the ball of your foot.
It works for me and my ankle won't bend at all. It has a steel rod in it.

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2014 8:20 pm    

If you're only playing a single neck and your right ankle doesn't bother, you could move the pedals and use your right foot. I broke my left ankle a few years back and played a SD10 and had work coming up and didn't want to lose it. My guitar was predrilled for 9 or 10 pedals so I moved my pedals and it worked fine. I could use my volume pedal but I got through it with no problems. Just thought this might be an option for you. Best wishes to you.

Tony

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2014 9:06 pm    

I see the problem...

If the Original Poster's problem is present in daily life, medical professional(s) should be consulted to find ways to ease or fix the problem.
Quitting playing PSG should not be necessary, but adjusting pedals, and maybe use some form of ankle-support, makes sense.

Also, while looking for ways to improve the PSG (and leg) for easier playing, sessions should be cut short before pushing pedals start to hurt too much. Better to slowly practice the movements that are necessary for rocking on and off pedals, without actually playing, to warm up the ankle and see how far it can be twisted without hurting and without increasing whatever damage there is.

Myself, I have just restarted practicing on PSG after been off for about a year because of surgery to remove blood clots in my left leg. Lots of nerves in my left leg got cut, and right now I can not sense the pedals properly with shoes on, and can not play without shoes because the nerves that actually work are over-sensitive to pressure - pushing pedals in socks is like stepping on nails.
Twisting my ankle is also very difficult and painful. Hitting and pushing pedals in tune is near impossible as of now - sounds like a sea-sick cat most of the time.

Giving up playing isn't an option though - I like it too much, and I know that given time and practice I will find it easier to play all my PSGs the way I want.

I will have to optimize height, travel and resistance of the pedals, so I can sense the pedals a little better and push them right without having to twist my ankle too much. I will also have to practice in short runs with lots of breaks for many months, to rebuild "muscle memory" so I can use those pedals properly without having to rely on sight.

I am sure that given time I will be able to play at least as well as before, I just do not know how long it will take to get there... Very Happy

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2014 1:59 pm    

Go see a doctor for your ancles. If he says there is nothing wrong with them, work out.

JJ