The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I Got Scammed Part 2
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 8:32 am    

well, here we go, as you all know, I lost almost $2000 due to the scam artist who offered for sale a steel guitar

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=263246

... you can read all about it on here, Bob made it a "sticky" ...about 10 min ago I got a phone call from the detective at Hendersonville PD, he contacted and talked to Dayton PD, and this Mrs.Wolf, is well known to them, she scammed many other people before me, she is trying to say that she is sending a money to some dude in Nigeria, but she was warned about it by police many times before..this time there will be no warning, she is going to jail, Hendersonville PD is pressing a charges against her for theft and fraud , and this time she is going to be locked up..I will have to go to Dayton court, but thats ok..detective said judge may make her pay me my money back..we'll see..the important thing is, this scammer is off the street, and on her way to jail...thank you everyone who contacted me and help me with this mess... last thing, always use PayPal to do your money transactions, and I was told that by detective himself, they have system set up where they can get your money back, or in the worst case scenario, they are insured for fraud, so even if they can't get your money back from the scammer, they will get it from the insurance...I will post some updates as this case goes on, until Mrs.Wolf is behind bars...thanks

Db

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 1:37 pm    

A happier outcome for you Damir. I'm pleased that you may get your money back - you must have been really stressed over all of this.

Ken
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 1:39 pm    

Hello old mate...Sorry to hear about this old boy, i just caught the other thread, what a situation gosh...
Good work though, hope you get it all back Damir.

God bless mate, regards to your family... Hope to see you soon on one of my Ramblin around trips.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 3:49 pm    

Ken Byng wrote:
A happier outcome for you Damir. I'm pleased that you may get your money back - you must have been really stressed over all of this.

Ken

Ken, I hope to get my money back, but what is more important is that this person is on her way to jail, I'm glad she didn't managed to scam any other guys on the forum, and I hope I did help to stop her from doing so

Db

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 3:51 pm    

Larry Bressington wrote:
Hello old mate...Sorry to hear about this old boy, i just caught the other thread, what a situation gosh...
Good work though, hope you get it all back Damir.

God bless mate, regards to your family... Hope to see you soon on one of my Ramblin around trips.

Larry, I would love to see you again, we can have some beer and talk about steel guitars, make sure you let me know if you are ever close to Nashville, I'll come out to see you my friend

Db

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 3:57 pm    

it is very important that you NEVER post your email address or info on the forum (like I did), always ask to be contacted through the forum email, that way outside scammers who are not members can't get your info, and always use PayPal to sell or buy guitars, never wire the money no matter what...as a closed forum community we are somewhat protected from outside criminals, but they are out there, watching and trying to get your money..

Db

Don Griffiths

Steelville, MO
Post  Posted 21 May 2014 10:21 pm    

Thanks for the update Damir. I made the mistake of wiring money to someone for a guitar years ago. Never did get my money back. It sounds like the police are better at dealing with internet fraud these days. A reminder for everyone doing any business over the internet. If any thing at all is suspicious,or sounds to good to be true, or even someone you have never heard of before and can not find any history on, it's better to pass on the sale or purchase. Sad

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 21 May 2014 11:47 pm    

I learned this,do not use anything other than a PayPal, and ask for a number, and call the seller/buyer, and talk to him before you close the deal...do not post your personal info on the forum for everybody to see, use internal forum messaging system... Don, you are welcome, this woman is very well known to Dayton PD, this is not her first rodeo, somehow she managed to get away with it until now, but this time detective at Hendersonville PD said, he is pressing the charges, and if Dayton PD doesn't prosecute, he will, and he will drive up to Dayton to pick her up, and bring her to TN to jail...

db

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 22 May 2014 12:47 pm     UPS COD service

Good to hear you're making some headway Damir, I hope you can recover some of your $, as well as seeing the criminal locked up.

PayPal seems to be the payment method of choice around here but it has definite issues too as others have discussed if there is a dispute. I have bought and sold several guitars here on the forum and I would heartily recommend using UPS's COD service for these sorts of transactions. It costs $12 (so cheaper than PayPal for anything over ~$400), and makes it so you don't hand over the money (cashier's check) until the driver is handing you the git. This safer for both buyer and seller. http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/time/service/value_added/cod.html?srch_pos=5&srch_phr=cod

I know there is another thread right now bashing UPS over the potential nightmares of a damage claim, but that is a different topic. If a COD delivery has obviously been damaged in shipment, a buyer can always refuse the delivery too.

Best of luck on this, keep us posted on progress.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 7:46 am    

just got off the phone with a detective at Hendersonville PD, they issued an arrest warrant for Mrs. Wolf for fraud and theft ... now, Mrs. Wolf is an older lady who lives off of her social security check, and she is very well known to Ohio PD for scamming and stealing on the internet... she is a quiet older lady, has never seen or been to Nigeria... your every day, next door, quiet older lady... she is very charming, and knows how to play the system, however, it seems that this time she will finally be brought to justice, and pay for everything she has done... I will update this as soon as I hear something new... the point is, not only Nigerians are scammers, scammers live right next door to us as well, so be careful...

db

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 8:41 am    

May 15th:
Quote:
.this time there will be no warning, she is going to jail, Hendersonville PD is pressing a charges against her for theft and fraud ,

August 30th:
Quote:
just got off the phone with a detective at Hendersonville PD, they issued an arrest warrant for Mrs. Wolf for fraud and theft .

Sounds like the wheels of justice are moving very slowly. Don't be surprised if Granny Wolf is now a resident of California, Vermont, or any other state you'd care to guess, and never does get what's coming to her. Sad

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 8:55 am    

very slowly indeed, but never the less, they are moving, and this detective is determine to get the job done, and he will get it done, but it takes time, at least in the meantime she is sitting at home thinking about going to jail, instead of being on the computer scamming people...

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 10:21 am    

Regarding PayPal, UPS, FedEx, cashier checks etc, it is worth remembering that us being special-like here, we are privileged to hear just about every single delivery horror story, money scam, Paypal gleefully minting money while oriental counterfeits run amuck, forklifts through the heart etc. But percentage-wise, that world is really not too terrifying. Which doesn't help if you're on the wrong side of the stats, but our computerized lives have actually made some scams a lot harder. If driver's license numbers and credit cards and bank routing codes don't all match up, a "fake I.D" doesn't work for anything. Every week there's another gigantic, the-sky-is-falling massive personal data "leak" hyped in the press - but nobody's losing any money, they catch these things. I'll bet if we each posted every time we bought something through Paypal and it actually showed up, it would get pretty boring pretty quick.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 12:44 pm    

"it is very important that you NEVER post your email address or info on the forum (like I did), always ask to be contacted through the forum email,"

Many Forum members have gotten PMs and emails from me warning against posting email addresses and phone numbers. There are net search bots that look for the phone number sequence. Don't put in a straight phone number like 333-444-5555. At least break it up to something like #3=3<>3 -4@4 *4 +5%^5 $5 _5. That way a bot won't catch it, we can still figure it out, and you won't be getting calls trying to sell you "stiffeners!" PM is the best though.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 11:57 am     Update

just got off the phone with detective who is working on my fraud case, Mrs. Wolf has been arrested, and at this time she is waiting on her court date in TN court

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 12:03 pm    

Good!

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 12:05 pm    

Two and a half months to pick her up? Oh well, it's a start!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 1:34 pm    

The delay could have been by the District Attorney making sure he has a good case before issuing the warrant. But, they could have arrested her before, and let her make bail, hoping she doesn't flee.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 2:04 pm    

it is complicated because she lives in a different state, but she will pay for what she has done, she scammed many people before me, and got away with it, this time she is done, detective who is working the case is taking this personally now, because he was convinced at first, that she was just some old lady who was taken advantage by some Nigerian scammer, but as it turned out, the whole thing had nothing to do with Nigeria, it is all her... he is determine now to get her, and keep her in jail in TN... he even tried to charge her with federal charges, but money amount was not high enough for federal case...however, the most important thing is, she is not scamming anybody else any more, I doubt I will see my money, but at least she is behind bars where she belongs ...

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 2:06 pm    

Good job Damir! I'm glad you were so persistent!

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 8:42 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
The delay could have been by the District Attorney making sure he has a good case before issuing the warrant.

OP states the warrant was issued, in his post of August 30th. I was remarking about the delay between the warrant being issued and her actually being arrested.

Let's hope they give the guilty bee-itch a fair trial before throwing her in the slammer for a long time!

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 10:18 pm    

How much time are they gonna give a little old lady....six months could be a life sentence...LOL !

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 11:57 pm    

There's gonna be a delay in that Norma, IIRC, lived in Ohio and Damir and prosecution were in Davidson County, Tennessee. The arrest has to have Ohio and county cops involved, so it takes a while.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 2:06 am    

imperative....everyone , buyer,seller..should make PHONE contact before any deal is sealed...

Bank Checks are also good as they have bank account tracking...banks are federal which at the end of the day can bring this to a whole new level for the fraud lady...

I hate it for you Damir, I hope it gets resolved quickly...

Years back we had a situation where we used the local Sheriffs Dept and the Sheriff's Dept of the "bad gal" and the bank of the "bad gal"... it was resolved the same day. The bad gal was told FIX IT NOW or there will be an arrest before the end of the day. She fixed it...There was a lot going on, fraud, money deposited in a bank and the across state lines thing...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 3:03 am     Re: Update

Damir Besic wrote:
just got off the phone with detective who is working on my fraud case, Mrs. Wolf has been arrested, and at this time she is waiting on her court date in TN court

Damir, I applaud you and the detective's persistence. Who knows how many people's lives she's hurt? As these cons get older, they also can get more desperate and that's a lot of pain down the road that may be circumvented by her arrest.