The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How often do you put on a new set of strings?
Robert Rhea

Panama City, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2014 8:47 am    

I broke a string a couple of nights ago while practicing at home. So I started thinking, should I just change out the string I broke, or is it time to replace the full set? How often should I change out a full set of strings? I know there are a few factors involved, like gigging every night, or just playing a few hours a week at home. But let's just say playing hours. So if your answer is "every 3 months", you'll need to include how often you're playing. I probably average 8-10 hours of playing time at home a week, or somewhere in the 40 hours a month range.

I'm using Live Steel Nickel strings.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2014 10:36 am    

Are the rest of the strings still staying in tune (stable), sound good. Just change the broken one if the rest still sound and hold tuning good. There is really no good answer to this question. Some change full sets on a regular schedule, some when they go dead, etc.. And, it depends at lot on how much you play/practice. What brands strings can affect it. I change my 3rd and 5th strings at least twice in between full set changes. Sometimes I get a little nervous and will change a string only because I think it might break on a gig. I gig usually 3 to 8 times a month these days. If I was a road player or studio musician, I would change sets on a pretty regular basis.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2014 12:06 pm    

once a year unless it doesn't need it.

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2014 12:35 pm    

About the time I think that the tone of the steel sucks, I ask myself "When did you last change the strings?" The answer usually is : "Oh, maybe a couple of years ago." Then I change them (or use Buddy Emmons' loose 'em up and whump 'em, to get rid of the string scuzz), and my steel, miraculously, sound good again!
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2014 9:27 pm    

You will notice them getting dead. My experience is every two to four weeks. If you are in doubt, change em.
That said, I kind of like C-6 wound strings better after they loose the sparkle. About the time green stuff starts growing in em, I change them.

I really like those Blitz Cloths to keep strings fresh longer. I think you can get them from Herb. That's where I get mine. Those little alcohol wipes that the doctor uses before a shot work ok too. There is something in my hands that destroys strings.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2014 9:42 pm    

We're supposed to change them? Laughing

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 16 Nov 2014 4:46 am    

When I was working 4 to 6 nights a week, I was changing about every three weeks.

Now, just whenever I notice deterioration

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2014 6:54 am    

I'm playing out about 6 to 7 times a month (plus some recording sessions). I change strings about once a month. Not that they are all that bad, just to try and preclude one breaking on a job.

When I was touring, I would change every 10 shows (about 20 hours of playing time), again, to help prevent any string breakage on a show.

One admission, I like the sound of new strings.

Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2014 8:09 am    

Jacks on the money. A lot of times they may sound alright even when they have been on for a while but you can immediately hear the difference with new ones , but nothing beats the sound of a fresh set and they stay in tune better and have a lessen risk of breaking. For a player that don't play out a lot you may be able to just change them twice a year. If you are giging and playing in studios you need a fresh set to bring out the absolute wonderful tone of your steel. I seen some players with steels with strings that were dark and brown with rust kinda like and old car with sludged up oil ready to go anytime. True you may save money but only at the price of tone. I bet Paul Franklin probably changes them twice a mo if not more.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2014 10:52 am     stings

I used to change them every 50-60 hours ( playing 10-12 hours a week). Since I switched to Live Steel SS I have gone for months. Very Happy

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2014 11:18 am    

I usually change mine when the neck gets so grimey I have to cut the strings off just to clean it. I have a pal that has a 50's Rickenbacker lap steel that still has some of the original Black Diamond strings on it and they still sound fine to me.

But seriously, maybe every 6 months if they need it or not?

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2014 11:44 am    

Sometimes I'll notice that old strings will feel a little loose even if they're tuning up ok. Whenever possible, I like to change my strings at night before I go to sleep. Bring them up to pitch a few times before working the pedals, then let them sit before really playing them. No string tugging for me, unless I'm in a hurry. A set usually lasts about 3 weeks. Really depends on the gig though. I now use D'addario singles because I know I can get them anywhere and they seem to sound as good as anything else to me.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2014 4:03 pm    

Every couple of weeks when I'm busy ... If I have a session I always put fresh strings on prior ..both necks.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 10:14 am    

Occasionally mine will not get changed but once a year if am not performing much, but considerably more often if I have any shows outdoors in hot weather, as sweaty hands cause the back strings to crud up quickly.

On the other hand, I have read here on the forum that Mr. Franklin changes his strings daily if he has a lot of sessions.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 2:09 pm    

I have two guitars that are alike I play so playing time gets divided up so I change strings about every two months on each or sometime sooner. A lot is according to string brand. The Live steel strings from Sid last a longer time than other brands I've tried. Had good luck with D'Addario also. I've had strings that I had to take off after about two weeks because they wouldn't stay in tune. I would say that each guitar gets about 40 hours playing a month, sometime more.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 8:19 pm     The String Change.

I went 3mos. on my last string change. And that's playing every Fri.& Sat. night from 9 to 1. They start sounding weird after 2mos. but I'm lazy and just let them go till I can't stand it anymore. If I break a string, which hasn't happened in a long time, I change all of'em at the earliest opportunity.

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 12:30 pm    

I wait till after BBQ season is over...

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 3:44 pm    

I seem to recall Franklin saying somewhere that he changes his about every 12 hours of playing. With his studio dates I imagine that is probably about once every few days.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 10:28 am    

chris ivey wrote:
once a year unless it doesn't need it.

Chris,
Once a year, whether it needs it or not. Rolling Eyes
Does that mean the guitar is "broken-in?"

Actually have had so few strings break recently that when it happens, it's a "clue" that I should change the set.