The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  John Hughey, and Dickey Betts
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 8:37 pm    

There was a time period when a bunch of us would run into or play with Vassar at various festivals, and one of the younger "jam" bands screwed up the courage to ask him to appear on a record they were recording at my studio. They paid for the session, and expected him to play on one or two tracks... but he showed up loaded for bear, played on most of the album and did anything they wanted. They wanted some harmony parts, he'd oblige, they said "go crazy!" and he'd take it outside. A total gentleman, always accomodating and generous, and very encouraging to the younger generation of players.

Around the same time I was tracking some songs for a local songwriter and her grandfather, who was a long-time Vassar fan. I mentioned that to Vassar, and he generously agreed to play on one of their tracks one day when he was already in the studio. Didn't charge a dime and added some very sweet stuff that really excited and touched the older man and his grandaughter. Just that kind of a guy.

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 9:17 pm     Vasser

I have this orig album, my children grew up listening to this and it had a lasting impression on them. We'd play the tape while on trips, we called this our "travelin music. They are actively involved in "our" music (Keith is our drummer, Penny Lynn on vocals,) (Portwood Family Band) Vasser used to come to Jacksonville each Christmas season to visit His "double first cousin", Carroll Clements, who lives near me. We've had Carroll and Vassar over for jams in my music room several times, jammin til the wee hours. We'd take breaks, Vassar would puff a few times on that old worn out pipe, tell stories of the "road", eat fried chicken and tater salad, etc. I have about an hour and half of video of one of these times. I would'nt take anything for those memories, good times. They can never be duplicated. As for this album, especially "hand picked", I can't think of any musical performance that has had such an impression on me.

I wish all you fans of great music a great Christmas Season and a blessed New Year! Lonnie

Michael Berry

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2020 9:18 pm    

Dredging up a thread I knew had to already exist on the board. I've been listening to Highway Call a lot lately and 'Hand Picked' just gets me every time. Such inspiring playing all around and John's steel is just fantastic on the whole album. Dust off your copy and crank this one up again. It's a gem.

Matt Elsen

Deer Harbor, Orcas Island, WA
Post  Posted 23 May 2020 8:18 am    

One of my all time favorite records and fun to read about some of the great players that made it so wonderful! Thanks for pulling this thread back up.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2020 1:07 pm    

Julian Tharpe did the tour...

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2020 2:47 pm    

Steve Hinson wrote:

I was at many of those shows and I never heard a note from the steel (all too loud).

John Ducsai

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2020 2:02 am    

One of my favorite albums - gets you in a good place !

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2020 10:30 am    

Earnest Bovine wrote:
Steve Hinson wrote:

I was at many of those shows and I never heard a note from the steel (all too loud).

Dickey Betts played about as loud as anybody I ever heard...having said that,I love his playing...

A real loud rock and roll band + a front of house engineer that likely never mixed a band with a steel guitar before=recipe for disaster...

I've starred in this movie many times...and I'm pretty sure you have too,Doug...

You know what I do?I put my amp so I can hear it...after that,it's out of my hands...I play the show,and get the money...

SH

Marc Muller

Neptune,NJ USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2020 6:38 pm    

Just checked to make sure I still have the album from when it came out. Safely in the collection right next to Hillbilly Jazz, Will The Circle Be Unbroken, Bromberg's Midnight On The Water and Hartford's All In The Name Of Love. What an incredible era of music. What a time to be a young musician!

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2020 8:39 pm    

I had the privilege of having Dickie Betts sit in with our band, Dark Star, at Zaharriah's on High Street in Columbus circa 1977 not too long after the Highway Call album. His band at the time(not ABB) was playing the Agora about a block away. They came in to see our last set after their show was over and we asked him to sit in. It was one of my favorite moments playing steel for a hour or so with him on some blues and swing classics. I remember we did the Lionel Hampton tune, Red Top among others. He played our guitar player's sixties Tele and Deluxe amp. First thing he did was turn everything up to 10! After the show, he and some others hung around. They locked the club up and we stayed inside and partied until dawn in true 70's rock fashion. He was very humble and down to earth....and what talent!!

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2020 11:33 am    

Back before Wolfgang's Vault was blocked thru court action from selling the right to download certain old concert sound board recordings, I paid to download the live concert tour supporting this album. Dickey toured with Vassar, The Poindexters AND John Hughey, at least for the recording I have of the tour. John Hughey absolutely SHREDS on the live versions of Hand Picked and Jessica. If anyone in interested in the live recording, which is now no longer available, please PM me.

Last edited by John Brabant on 23 Jun 2020 11:06 am; edited 2 times in total

Bryan Staddon

Buffalo,New York,
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2020 6:58 am     Great stuff

Killer album!

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2020 9:36 pm    

I’ve always liked Dickey Betts works with the Allman Brothers. Solo wise I only have his album “Pattern Disruptive” that unfortunately didn’t really do much for me. I was totally unaware of “Highway Call” until this thread. The positive comments prompted me to purchase it. Really good! Great songs. And John Hughey does some great work on this music release.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2020 9:48 am    

Ken I guess "Duane's Tune" is on Pattern Disruptive give it try, it's really good.
Dickey said in an an interview that the twin leads with Duane were influenced by the Western Swing bands.

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2020 10:50 pm    

Big thanks for resurrecting this thread. I found a used copy of this album and can't stop playing it! I was a long time fan of the ABB, but John Hughey and Vassar really steal the show on this... Trying to figure out on "Hand Picked" if he is doing it all on E9 or is he switching necks on the solos?

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2020 7:32 am    

Joachim Kettner wrote:
Ken I guess "Duane's Tune" is on Pattern Disruptive give it try, it's really good.
Dickey said in an an interview that the twin leads with Duane were influenced by the Western Swing bands.

I took a listen to "Duane's Tune" and agree. That song stands out on the album. Makes the CD more worthwhile to me now. Thanks. 👍

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2020 12:34 pm    

David Gertschen wrote:
Big thanks for resurrecting this thread. I found a used copy of this album and can't stop playing it! I was a long time fan of the ABB, but John Hughey and Vassar really steal the show on this... Trying to figure out on "Hand Picked" if he is doing it all on E9 or is he switching necks on the solos?

sounds like it's all C6

George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2020 9:28 pm    

I saw Vassar Clements near the end of his career with the Dirt Band -- oh my god, never heard a fiddle played like that, a mystical quality, totally original, total dynamic control, not one standard lick all night -- he was the master.

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2020 11:02 am    

Those who have reached out to me on the Forum PM regarding the live tour audio files of Dickey Betts recorded at Winterland in 1974 with Mr. Hughey on steel and Vassar on fiddle, please check your inbox.

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2020 5:24 pm    

My 75'PP is a wood cab/wood neck because of John's tone on that record. I ordered it that way and later told him of his influence on my choice when I met him. JE:-)>
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2020 6:29 am    

Very cool..