The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Excel Superb - Request for under carriage photos
Mark Addeo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2014 6:14 pm    

Hello, I've been tweaking a left handed Excel Superb D-10 since I bought it. It was set up with the C6 neck using all the pedals and levers and the E9 neck just sitting there. I have since gotten it working nicely as a standard Emmons set-up C6 & E9.

I am now focusing on the three compensators for the A, B & C pedals which at the moment don't do anything. I'm trying to determine if some parts are missing underneath. I would love it if someone could send me a photo of the undercarriage particularly under the changer. See my photos for example of the changer and photos needed. Thanks!

Mark Addeo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 6:48 pm     Excel Superb Enthusiasts? Lil' help?

if you have a moment some quick Iphone photos of your changer end from underneath would be a huge help.Thanks!

John Alexander

Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 9:43 pm    

I hope this helps. The design is apparently not quite the same, but the mechanism shown seems to generally correspond with your last photo.

Mark Addeo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2014 6:47 am    

Thanks John, this is very helpful. I appreciate your time!

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2014 3:19 pm     Excel cab drop comp

I'm following this thread with interest as I have Superb U12 which I received somewhat modified; the parts for the comp. pull system aren't there. I would very much like to restore it.
It seems to me that this system has evolved since it started. The basic component is the floating tuning/string anchor at the nut end, which I have. Beyond that, the pull linkage on John's U14 is quite different from Mark's.
Looking carefully at your guitar, Mark, it seems to me that you have everything in place to do the job. Setup is probably all it needs.

If anyone else has a Superb with a drop comp system, esp. if it is different from these two guitars pictured here, I would very much like to hear from you.

Best wishes to all for the holiday season.

Chris

Mark Addeo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2014 3:56 pm    

Chris, from working with the adjustments I can see how the A, B & C pedals can move tuner head to compensate but what I cant seem to figure out is what pulls the tuner head back.I have played with the three rods on the tuner side of the carriage but it stays put once moved and seems as if a spring would be required to pull it back to place. I'm guessing as you said that all parts are there and this likely needs an adjustment but any info on how it operates would be helpful. thanks!

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2014 4:34 pm     Comp adjustments

Mark, first I would make sure that the tuner block is moving freely. Clean and lube as required.
Then I would back off the connection between the comp linkage and the tuner block and adjust the tuner block balance springs so that they balance the string tension and the block floats free, probably somewhere in the middle of its range of travel. Then, bring the comp linkage into contact and adjust out the cab drop with the nylon tuners. I would back them all off until they had no effect then try adjusting the B pedal first, then A pedal, and last the C pedal.

Good luck with this, and for sure let us know how you make out.

Chris

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2014 7:39 pm    

Here's a pic of mine. It's a 2010 or so model.

It's kind of hard to make out, bout the cross shaft at the far right is the one that actuates the keyless headstock. You can see the pull fingers and black cap screws that attach it to the underside of the key head.
Below that, you can see the rod that pulls that cross-shaft. It's actuated off of the movement of the tunable brass thingamajigs.

This one doesn't have any springs, I think it's just hard against a stop in rest, and then the keyless head can bend down from there to compensate (tighten) the strings for cabinet drop.

Mark Addeo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2014 4:03 pm    

Wow! Thanks All, this is great information to work with. Chris I will follow your suggestions and report back on how things go. Happy Holidays all and thanks again!

John Alexander

Post  Posted 23 Dec 2014 4:18 pm    

Mark Addeo wrote:
Chris, from working with the adjustments I can see how the A, B & C pedals can move tuner head to compensate but what I cant seem to figure out is what pulls the tuner head back.

Looking at the mechanism on my guitar, it appears to me as if the effect is similar to a raise, and that it may depend on the string tension to bring it back to the neutral position. Take this with a grain of salt however, because I have never worked with the mechanism and don't know if it is actually set up to function. The picture I posted is Al Vescovo's setup, before I bought the instrument. I think he had over 50 pulls in his S-14 copedent!