The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  So, I acquired this 2 track( stereo) rack mount recorder
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2014 7:17 am    

Single rack space, Gemini DRP-1 stereo recorder. Records in 3 x MP3 modes and a 16 bit wav format. I had been toying with getting another recorder (edit ) for recording off the PC as well as other uses and ran across this one. It records to an SD card or a USB stick...it has USB out for PC connection and several features which make it noteworthy...Less than $179 brand new !

OK, some of the reviews are curious and after using the machine I can see why. The unit has two features which are not even mentioned in the very skimpy manual. AGC and Noise gate. The bad reviews claimed the recording had erratic levels and they would be correct, problem is, was, the AGC was on and they never knew how to turn it off. Noise gate same thing. Once I googled the issues it was now easy to turn off both the AGC and Noise gate...

recording is very clear, adjusting the levels with the rotary knob is simple and yes I record from the analog out ( sound card) direct to the unit input which can be front or rear. There are three pre-recording gain level positions , low, med, hi..med seems to be just fine. Setting the input levels for max gain without saturation is no issue. Mic in or line in, XLR Mic input at rear etc...I monitor the recorded signal from the front panel output which also has level control. You can transfer files direct USB to the PC ( rear panel connection) or simply pull the USB stick or SD card and plug it in directly to the PC. Easy stuff...

I pretty much record everything in 128 MP3 from the net and and so far this unit has no issues I can detect as POOR performance. Overall it's pretty good for the money. And yeh, I can use it over on the Pro Tools PC rack should I need to make a quick MP3 mix on the fly as well.

If someone is looking for a unit of this type, it may be worth taking a deeper look...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/multitrack-recorders/gemini-drp-1-rack-mount-digital-recorder?tandt_rdir=1&nN=true

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 26 Oct 2014 3:11 am; edited 2 times in total

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2014 9:12 am    

Looks like a nice device. In the off chance that there's a slightly easier way....

For recording off the net, I use an ancient and venerable software package called CoolEdit96. I suppose Audacity or Adobe Audition are the descendents of that dependent on your price point.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq_i18n?s=recording&i=streaming

It allows me to select the output of the Windows audio mixer as an input. Conversion to mp3 is a separate pass using LAME. No cables required.

I'm just curious what the advantage of a device like this is? I'd say "make board tapes at gigs" but nobody even remembers how to do that - they want to use a camera or camera phone to target YouTube. I can make 16 track live recordings at gigs with a couple of 1 RU devices and a laptop, but so far, the band has asked for camera video.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2014 12:39 pm    

Yes Les, ( rhyme ?) true and correct, I have been using FREECORDER as well, software programs are fine no doubt..but I have decided that a hardware piece like this had other uses as well...it's extremely flexible and it's a new toy...and it's kinda portable... and yeh I could use either of my other small recorders ( h2) as well , but the fact of the matter is..there is always room for another recorder and another Telecaster or Steel as well ! A unit like this does have a place if the need is there...

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2014 3:30 am    

Update, can't be more pleased with this very versatile recorder. I built a single rack shelf ( MDF) which it lives in while under the PC monitor, it can be removed easily and used for other functions, such as recording quick MP3 mixes across the room on my Pro Tools station...no, my Pro Tools only converts to WAV, not MP3 ( I didn't pay for the add-on) and that PC has NO extra stuff loaded and no internet connection...on purpose...