The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  3D printed Stringmaster pickup cover
Jim Myers

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2014 10:33 am    

I finally got all the sizes right so they fit, after 4 prototypes. Not a perfect copy but no one down the road can claim them to be original. Only about $1.25 in materials but each one takes about 1hr and 15 minutes to print.

56 D8 Stringmaster.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2014 10:54 am    

Pretty cool! Did you copy/scan another cover or did you use Pro Engineer or Solid Edge to design the cover?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2014 12:35 pm    

Very cool! Where did you have them done?

Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2014 1:34 pm    

Yes, very cool. I have been thinking about this method for sourcing original knobs for an old EH 150. I wonder whether the plastic feed comes in bakerlight colour? Also, I believe that different printers print in different resolutions. Some of the lower resolution items I have seen have a fairly rough finish.

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2014 2:03 pm    

Yes you are right Guy, some lower end models do a rougher surface finish. I have budgeted for one next year in my dept. it's a middle range quality and I ll see how that works out. May be able to do various replica parts. The colour choices are limited to the spool colours. It's the powder ones where you can mix which are really expensive machines

Jim Myers

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2014 7:00 am    

I bought the Stringmaster a couple of months ago and it didn't have covers so I had to measure the pickups and the holes. I designed it in Tinkercad then transferred it into a program called Cura to render it for the 3D printer. I made it at a new business called The Foundry, which is like a co-op.
You pay a monthly fee and then you can use any of their equipment, you just pay for materials. Currently they have 4 3D plastic printers a 3D paper printer, laser cutter, Vinyl cutter and a wood CNC router. The covers were done on a Ultimaker 2 printer at the next to highest resolution, the hightest would have taken about 3 hours each.
Thanks for the comments. Soon I will start posting my new project, as it progresses. I hope to have it finished by Christmas.
56 D8 Stringmaster.

Russ Cudney

Sonoma, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2014 2:27 pm    

Those look good. I'm getting ready to cut a couple of plates on the aquajet for my 55 T8. I drew this up in autocad:

1958 D8 Stringmaster, 1958 T8 Stringmaster, 1955 Q8 Stringmaster (in basket), 1949 Gibson BR9, 1953 Silvertone, 1957 Harmony H4 (yeah the cool black pearloid one), 1947 National Princess, 1969 Shobud S10 3X1