The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gulfport Deep South Steel Show
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2014 7:41 pm    

Larry, you and Jean will really be missed. Stay safe and happy.

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2014 6:15 am     Gulfport Steel show

Me too, Larry. You both will really be missed. Terry Bethel will be here to help cover for you all.

Steve Green

Gulfport, MS, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2014 11:56 am    

While you’re in town for the show . . .

Stop by and check out Gulfport’s newest hometown music store: The Guitar Shed

We’re open Thursday, Friday and Saturday, from noon until 7:00 pm.

It’s less than 5 miles from the Dedeaux Rd. VFW venue.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2014 4:35 pm    

Thanks Bill, Terry can easily cover for me, but I can't really picture Terry wearing one of Jean's dresses to cover for Her. Ha, I know you will have another great show. Larry

Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2014 6:05 pm    

Last edited by Lem Smith on 1 Nov 2014 11:33 am; edited 3 times in total

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2014 8:20 pm     show

I won't be able to make the show this time. This opens up a slot for someone on the 11:30pm., Friday night show. Best of luck for a great show.

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2014 2:58 am     Gulfport Steel Guitar Show

Billy, I can insert you early afternoon if that would suit you better. Scotty is here to talk with you also. Really would be nice with you here. Thanks

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2014 11:19 am     Wonderful Time ...

Just returned from a great time at the Gufport show.

First, I'd like to sincerely thank Tommy Linxwiler for bringing me to the show with him. He saw that I wanted for nothing and was an excellent and generous host during our trip there. Thanks, Tommy, for everything! Very Happy

Next, Kudos to Bill Stafford for putting all this together. Bill's Gulfport show is relaxed, casual and great fun to attend. It was truly a wonderful time. Very Happy
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2014 1:23 pm     pictures

Anxiously awaiting some pictures from the show. So sorry that We couldn't make it this year.

Jim Lindsay, hope to meet you some day. Larry

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2014 6:33 am    

Thanks, Larry ... looking forward to meeting you someday, too! Smile

I was hoping to post some of the many photos I took with my little Sony digital camera, but when I got home and fired it up to download them, they were all mysteriously gone ! Sad

So, I'll have to post the few pics I took with my iPhone.

First thing I encountered was a little guitar I've heard about many times, but never seen before ... a lacquer body Sho-Bud Maverick with wood necks ...

... previously, the only Mavericks I'd ever seen were the dark brown ones with the recessed keyheads and a fretboard laid directly on the body.

One of the highlights for me was getting to see and visit with Mary and Scotty (and Michael) ... It was so great to see them again!

I caught a shot of Buck Grantham getting ready for an upcoming set ...

There were so many names I've known from the Forum or by reputation, but had never met ... and it was a pleasure to meet them all ... Bill Ferguson, Buck Grantham, Lynn Owsley, Jack Harper, just on and on ... and every one of them super people!

I haven't played steel since my stroke back in February and I've not made many attempts to get back into it, but the Gulfport show really has me fired up to get back into the saddle again!

Another thing I really liked about the show was the mixture of players not only doing the instrumental thing, but also the singers performing with the players doing backups and lead rides just as they would in any band situation ... it was really refreshing to see that type of format at a steel show and seemed to really balance things out nicely.

Bill Stafford was, of course, a great host and a true gentleman's gentleman. Anyone who hasn't attended one of Bill's Gulfport shows will find it to be a delightful treat when they do.

While the show clips right along, there's also a relaxed casual atmosphere throughout and nothing feels rushed or pressured. It was very smooth.

The VFW people were superb and it was obvious they love hosting the event at their venue. And the food? Wow! Very good. I thought I'd gone to heaven when they served hamburgers on Saturday ("I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today!") and then those steaks in the evening!

I was delighted to see Mr. Roy Rosetta (the "steel player's best friend"). While we missed hearing him behind the keyboards, Hal Higgins stepped up to the plate and covered on keys very nicely ... and, did I spy him also playing bass a few times?

Hal did a wonderful job behind the keyboards and all the other tasks he performed and his steel sets were truly nice to hear; he embodies the three T's (touch, tone and tuning) and it's always a delight to hear his tasteful playing. He also sang a Gospel song or two and I was blessed ... I felt such an anointing and attitude of worship as he sang ... it's evident that Hal knows what he's singing about and I greatly respect and admire that. Smile

I was a little worried about difficulties that might occur with my wheelchair, but it was very easy to get around and I actually didn't mow anybody down with it.

Along with kudos to the backup band and all the performers, I have to give kudos to the audience as well ... what a nice and delightful group of people! There wasn't ever a feeling of being among strangers; rather, it was a sense of being among friends and family the whole time. It was great! Very Happy

I saw many old friends and made tons of new friends ... it was truly a great time! Very Happy
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2014 6:52 am    

Jim,

It was great to finally meet the infamous "Jim Lindsey".

Jim, I really enjoyed hearing your insight and historical perspectives about the instrument.

You never know....I just may pop up in a town near you.. Very Happy

Speedy Recovery my friend!

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2014 7:55 am    

"Infamous"? Really? Shocked More like nefarious, I'd think (I have been known to be a little devil when it comes to practical jokes and kidding around). Laughing

It was great to meet you at the Gulfport show (by the way, you had a great booth with those guitars and amps; wish I could've afforded that Emmons LeGrande and Session 500 you were selling!) and I sincerely appreciated and enjoyed your visit to the house yesterday ... I had a great time hearing you on your ZumSteel ...

...ah, do I see a little bit of pose resembling a famous persona going on in that photo? Smile

Looking forward to seeing you again ... and hearing from others about their time at the Gulfport show, too! Very Happy

Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2014 8:32 pm    

If any of you Missed this great show it was a blast lots of great talent and entertainment for all..Mr. Bill was a great host as always and a great gentilman Many thanks from BMI and Classic Vibe for the oppotunity to be there.

TOMMY YOUNG

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2014 8:46 pm    

alright, I'm back here in the real world. and it's ditto on Lindsey's observations. jim is a guy that you meet and know, what's the deal, you've already known him in another life. he'll be back on top of things in no time with his playin' now, he's got things figured out....
the early crowd, both days that stayed and stayed. now that was the icing on this cake. and the quality of players, that was the extra sugar on the crust.
thanks again bill Stafford for puttin' this one together....great show
speedy mending, roy rosetta and special kuddo's to bill fergueson and jerry jaye, does anyone know how many hours gene breeden, played guitar?
country jack....

Gordon Dodson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2014 1:00 pm    

Thanks to hosts Bill and Betty Stafford, the fabulous stage band and all of the great musicians that entertained us this past weekend.

Gordon and Jane Dodson

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 6:09 am     Gulfport Steel Show

Sorry for this late response. Have had many doctor's visit with Betty. Finished up with the last one yesterday, for a while anyway. She was able to be at the show for quite a long time and certainly enjoyed seeing everyone and is so thankful to all for all the prayers that have enable her to still be here with us.
I am so proud of everyone that came to this show and helped us out to our best ever Friday and Saturday. Topping this event off was the presence of Dewitt Scott and his family. The supreme effort they made to be with us was evident in the great time we all had, especially myself. Also, making major efforts to be here after brain surgery, and not supposing to travel, was the great Roy Rosetta and Pee Wee Whitewing. Our SRO,both days, showed true appreciation for Scotty and family, Pee Wee Whitewing and Roy Rosetta. Gene Breeden, Lorraine Walden, Phil Hurley and Les Barnett put "The Bakerserfield Connection" in our staff band along side our players and gave the most proper and correct music for the players and audience to really enjoy. Bill Dewey, recording artist from Iowa, was a very big surprise and hit for all. His singing voice and guitar abilities is second to none. The tribute CD to Johnny Cash he has recorded is the best I have ever heard. Bill's playing the Luther Perkins licks on his great sounding Telecaster was also the best I have ever heard from anyone. I have too many heartfelt comments about all the players to list here at this time. Will cover that in another post. As a hint-the playing of Jimmie Miller, on the 14 string Sierra that was Julian Tharp's last steel guitar, was just one of the many highlights I enjoyed. Just seeing that instrument gave me many memories when we built it for him when I was with Sierra and then able to hear it again was most gratifying. Thanks Jimmie Miller. (He and his wife also celebrated their 40th anniversary during this weekend). More later.

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 9:23 pm    

Master Chief:

Can't say enough good things about the show. Just wanted to chime in here and say another thanks to you and your tireless efforts to make this happen.

Your efforts and dedication are a testament of your undying love for the instrument.

I would love to come earlier next time and have you show me how to get such a smooth touch. You are, undoubtedly, "Mr. Smooth".

V/R,

Charley