The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is Bud Carter still building guitars?
Finis Spier

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2014 6:43 pm    

when did bud carter build a magnum pro clasic?

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2014 2:41 am    

Finis, as far as I know Bud is not currently building steels.When his business partner Larry passed away about two years ago in a car accident the company ETS ceased trading.I was told that there was a possibility that once all the legal matters concerning Larry's estate were sorted out Bud might start production again, but have heard nothing more about it.As far as Magnums go I believe the design was the late John Fabian's project, and don't know what, if any,part Bud played in the Magnum, perhaps someone on forum could confirm this.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2014 9:42 am    

I think I remember someone else at Carter was building the magnums of which I had one that I gave to my brother in fort Worth. Production dates , were about 2004 to 2010 I think, not sure. I had an 06. D/// good guitar I Might add. If your thinking of buying one and your over 6' you may need to raise the legs and rods. I had to do this. It sits a little lower than a regular Carter. Tennessee Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2014 11:58 am    

Bud may have contributed to some part of the Magnum but think was John's project mostly. Magnums were built for internet sales and also for the internet stores like Musician's Friend, Sweet Water and ZZ sales just to mention few. You could only order one setup, either in a D-10 or SD-10. I think they are mechanically as good or better than the Carter. I like the bell cranks and all undercarriage better than a Carter. I have a Magnum D-10 that I really like and play it a lot. It sounds good, plays easy and stays in perfect tune.

And Lee, you must have sit down at a shorter guitar because mine is standard and same height as my Emmons P/P and it is standard.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2014 11:58 am    

Well I must have longer legs than you Henry. My big
problem was my right foot on the volume pedal. The top of my leg was hitting the linkage with any of my three volume pedals I use. Goodrich, Ernie ball Jr.
and Dunlop High gain. I raised it an 1"3/8 and it was fine. I also had to do that to my MSA D-10. Oddly enough The BMI's were fine. I'm almost positive the Magnum's are an inch lower than a
Carter. You are dead right about the bell cranks that is a better set up than on the carters. It's a great sounding Instrument. Tennessee lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,