The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Robert Randolph
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2014 2:27 pm    

This post is interesting for me. I just recently played a private gig at a golf course, where, the participants were from 30 to 60 years old. To my surprise, several of them, at different times, asked me if I knew RR, personally. It seems that, he and his band just played locally in upstate NY. They were all very impressed with him and his stage presence. I told them that, I didn't know him or even ever met him, but, have respect for his musicianship.
I, also told them not to expect that from me because I don't play that vein of music and don't have that particular schtick going for me. I guess, overall, they liked my playing since they kept giving me beer and shots all night long, which, I have to say that, I very moderately touched. So, in the long run, he (RR) is making the instrument visible, which, is a good thing. I've never been asked that question by anybody before. Occasionally, I get the Buddy Emmons, Lloyd Green reference, but, that's from hardcore country aficionados, who, basically know what a pedal steel guitar is. Oh! BTW- the particants at the gig referred to the pedal steel as a "Steel Pedal". I corrected them each time, but, I don't think it was comprehended. You never know who'll you run into.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2014 3:28 pm    

John,

Most people around my area know I play guitar, and that I had a music instrument shop and gave lessons at one time. Very few outside the music community know me as a pedal steel player. But it's funny when I have been asked if I play anything other than guitar, I say "pedal steel," and invariably they dont know what it is, so I explain it. The very next thing they say is something like, "isn't that the thing that one guy plays...he's a black guy...you know, he plays with a slide...?" I say, "Robert Randolph?" They affirm, yes, Robert Randolph.

I think he's good for the instrument.

None have ever asked to learn the instrument. Not that I could teach them to do THAT! I play blues and rock on mine though.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2014 10:00 pm    

Where's the neck lever?