The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Modern Christian Music and Steel Guitar's Role
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2014 10:39 am    

I always thought that "Christian Music" was just music with Christian lyrics, and that it could be in any form, in which case the place for the steel guitar is the same as it would be in any other music.
For instance, it probably wouldn't fit into Bach's organ requiems.
I'm not sure what "Modern Music" means. Modern music comprises everything played in "modern" times. So just what is "Modern Christian Music"? Doesn't it all depend on what sort of music you listen to? Oh Well

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2014 10:47 am    

I play "Ave Maria" on pedal steel, both Bach's and Schubert's versions.
I also play "Ave Verum Corpus" by Mozart.

Modern or contemporary Christian music is often referred to as "7/11" music: 7 lyrics repeated 11 times! Rolling Eyes
Not the ones found in a hymnal or gospel music book.

Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2014 1:56 pm    

Stuart Legg wrote:
Why wouldn't the steel guitar fit in Church music on Sunday just as well as it does at the VFW on Saturday?
It's Dance music!
click here

watched part of that link, lol, serious need for multiple therapists and strong prescription medication for this bunch! Wow, could only feel sorry for them.

Karol Wainscott

Kokomo , Indiana
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2014 4:02 pm     Music

Our church is going through the same problems of having a music minister who wants the contempary , repeat, repeat music. The majority oy the church likes the ols hyms and southern gospel. We do a program once a month of all old hyms and bluegrass gospel . The church is usually packed. On Sunday mornings the church may be a little less than half full. Is a story being told here ?? Lets keep up the fight for what we beleive.

Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2014 4:15 pm    

This is what I hear...

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2014 4:23 pm    

Irv, Wally, Karol, I hear a lot of repeats in the old hymns too, so that argument really doesn't hold water. It mostly depends on the audience, if they're older they like the older songs, if they're younger, they like the contemporary music. That doesn't make either one good or bad.

The church I was associated with for 17 years very seldom sang an old song, and in the last several years it was all contemporary, and usually 1 or 2 new songs every week. The church was running around 300 on Sundays when we started going there, and when we left a year ago, they were running 1500-1800 every Sunday, so the music obviously didn't hinder church growth. If a member or visitor is going to criticize the music, or be offended if their favorite songs aren't sang, are they really coming to church for the right reason?
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Last edited by Darvin Willhoite on 20 Oct 2014 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 20 Oct 2014 5:21 pm    

How do I get into a church band?

Pay your tithes, pay your tithes, pay your tithes.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2014 8:08 pm    

off-topic comment has been removed