The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which tuning on which neck? Stringmaster D-6
Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2014 7:59 am    

First off, let me make sure I'm using the correct nomenclature:
Forward neck is the outside neck, farthest from the player
Rear neck is the inside neck, closest to the player?

I'm a novice lap steeler playing mostly in open E but I'm working on C6 as well. I'm not sure what the conventional thinking is, do you put the tuning you use the most on the inside neck closest to you? Does it make any difference at all? If I ever get good enough to play this instrument with my band, I'll be playing it standing.

I guess it sounds like a stupid question but I figured I'd ask the voices of experience since you're here. Thanks!

Frank Welsh

Upstate New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2014 8:23 am    

I have a C6th on the inside neck of my D-8 and a B11th on the outside neck and I don't find any practical difference in access to either neck. I use both tunings equally and frequently cross over between them during the course of playing a tune.

With a four neck Stringmaster it might matter if reaching that forward neck was a problem but I don't think it really matters with a double. My opinion.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2014 10:10 am    

Thanks Frank,
I'm now leaning toward putting open E on the outside neck just because it's a little more visible if anyone wants to watch. If there's no real difference in playability on a two neck guitar I guess that reason is as good as any.

Frank Welsh

Upstate New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2014 2:18 pm    

Bill, chances are they'll think you're playing some kind of a keyboard anyway. Rolling Eyes

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2014 2:47 pm     Tunings and which neck?

If'n I was you..........

I'd put whatever tuning I play most on the neck that proves to be more comfortable for you. It's been rumored that there are over 300 tuning variations for steel guitar. So, where would you start?

There is NO........'special place' for any tuning.

Just find a place, plunk it down and start picking.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2014 3:28 pm    

I agree, it doesn't make any difference what tuning goes where. In answer to the original question, I usually put the tuning I use the most on the back neck (closest to me). The only exception to that would be when the pickup(s) on the other neck are stronger, brighter, or have the sound I'm looking for. The necks (pickups) on a lot of older console guitars don't always have the same sound or the same output.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2014 10:47 pm    

What Doug said. That being said, every D-8 Stringmaster I've owned seemed to be brighter on the front neck. Is this just conicidence? That neck this thicker. Does that make it brighter? Not sure. I find that my E13th tuning on the front neck is just a tad too bright, but I use a Freeloader to fix that. My rear neck is A6th which is my "meat & potatoes" tuning so I won't be changing that location.