The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  William Litaker
George Buechley

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 4:00 pm    

William did an incredible job on his live lesson today. Technology is not easy and computers these days are difficult to understand. It seems like one small thing can make what seems so simple turn into an endless loop that no one can watch. William did the only thing he could...start all over. So after replacing a computer he redid the complete broadcast at 6pm this evening. I watched both broadcast and they were both excellent. He put in the time today and I hope he can relax some now.

Thanks William!

George

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 3:47 am    

When technology attacks!
Thanks for persevering , William. The video came out fine and its a great lesson for the archives, although I guess somewhere in Youtube land there is an endless stream of your chord study

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 5:47 am     Update!

Looks like William got the first session sorted,after all. So we have a record of the 1 pm (Eastern time) Steel-In from Sept 20 up to around the 46 minute mark. Thankfully, it includes the backing track William gave us from the chord study.
Thanks for sorting it out William and providing the fail safe by recording another session altogether.

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 4 Oct 2014 12:35 am    

Darrell Gill wrote:
...and my wife says thank you also ... she has noticed a vast improvement.... thank you for your kindness.. good job.

I hear you Darrell. My wife doesn't close the door to my practice room anymore, and the dogs don't leave immediately, either. Ha, getting somewhere!

Personally, I notice it only takes me about an hour to get up to full speed, where "pre-Litaker" it took me a couple of hours before I felt like I flexed to full capabilities, limited as they are.

George Buechley

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2014 10:50 am    

I think William's lessons are getting better and better!

George

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 5 Oct 2014 4:38 am    

I agree George. The sound quality on the live session keeps improving and they've also been going a little longer. He's been packing a lot more information, lately. Stuff that isn't alwys covered in the worksheets,either. Like when we learned the proper way to play the intro to "Mama Tried" this week. Sounds just like the original recording, too. Those little things make a difference, but its nice that he has enough flexibility to go on relevant, (and not so relevant Laughing ) tangents here and there. A scripted lesson is boring.

Joey Andrews

Laurel ,Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2014 5:27 am     School

Remember school in session today!!!

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 12 Oct 2014 5:59 am    

Hey, Joseph. I'm with you. I like joining the sessions live, too. It helps maintain my routine through the week.

Joey Andrews

Laurel ,Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2014 6:22 am     Lesson

Daniel, Its well worth the price of admission to get to listen to William and his teaching method. His method of teaching alone with the natural humor, I have to agree with Stuart ( a one Man HE HAW) plus
the material and his knowledge is priceless. Where in the world can you go for 5 Bucks get entertained
for a hour, get that much material!

John Luce

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2014 10:02 am    

Joey ... I am in total agreement with you ... there isn't anywhere one could get such great instruction at such a low price. In my case, I live in rural South Carolina and to my knowledge there are not any PSG instructors close that I could take lessions from, and if there were the quality of instruction/ price probably would not be as good. I would think William's instruction would have a lot of appeal to the international player (unable to obtain local instruction) wanting to improve their playing.

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2014 11:00 am    

When I first got into this thing I was going to work with Maurice Anderson through the online instruction he was setting up, but unfortunately he passed away.
Rest in Peace Mr. Maurice Anderson
And then I found William.
And he is not a second best or rater, either. I couldn't ask for a better instructor. The man can flat out pick! But he can also teach. A lot of folks can't do both.

The convenience of it is a great consideration, and the nice thing is we are not limited to who is available locally for instruction these days. With Skype you can get that one on one thing going. That is something I highly recommend. You can get into a lot of bad habits if somebody isn't checking your hand and wrist positioning, which can be hard to break. I don't Skype all the time with William, his weekly sessions keep me pretty busy, but I will every now and then to get a refresher or learn something that you don't see in the books.
I am going for the best instruction I can and I feel I found it.

Joey Andrews

Laurel ,Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2014 11:18 am     William

John its well worth 5 bucks for a lesson from William. I have been with he for the past 4 or 5 weeks. I have never been disappointed in any of his lessons, the material and hand outs is well worth the money alone. I encourage anyone wanting to learn how to play give him a try and if you will do the work he suggests you can't help but get better. Joey

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2014 1:44 pm    

That's pretty much it, isn't it Joey. There is not short cut on this instrument, no magic bullet bar. He lays out a really clear map, but the work is the key to getting there.

Joey Andrews

Laurel ,Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2014 3:15 pm     Agree

Daniel, I have come to the conclusion if you want to learn to play well, take William's advice he's telling you what its going to take. Practice, Practice and more practice and if you think about what he's saying its true. If you put the time in
with useful material, you can't help but play better!
Joey

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 18 Oct 2014 6:41 am    

William said it was going to be a good 'un today.

Russell Nugent

LA (lower Alabama)
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2014 11:18 am    

And it was! He provides a lot of information for 5 bucks a week.

George Buechley

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2014 11:28 am    

I love his weekly lessons and they're better live the first time you watch them. Love the way he tells it like it is. Today's was especially good!

George

Joey Andrews

Laurel ,Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2014 3:05 pm     double feature Saturday

Double feature Saturday Professor William twice in one day. That's a hold lot of useful information to process in one day for the price of admission. I bet its going to be a blast. William you have the floor,
we are waiting.

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 24 Oct 2014 2:45 pm    

William's 2014 Steelinar tomorrow! Live action @ 1:30 CST. Over 20 pages of material is what was just sent to me with a link to the real-time broadcast. That link's also good for the video anytime we want to go over the material again, or if we can't make it to the live thing. About a full year's course of learning material for the sincere picker, and if you've made it this far, you ain't no other kind. Guarantee you'll pick something up, and probably have some fun along the way.

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2014 5:57 am    

I've been wearing my no-nonsense shoes every week for 66 weeks(!) now with William. 

Wow, time flies. And my old Dunlop 920 bar is starting to as well! This workshop series is an awesome idea. Can't wait to see what's coming down the pike for next time. 

Thanks for all the fine instruction, William. You certainly go above and beyond as far as individual attention is concerned. Boy ain't it fun!  
Thanks, my friend.  

-Dan

Joey Andrews

Laurel ,Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2014 4:37 pm     Saturday Lessons

I been with William a coupe of months now and I got to say he's teaching how to be a better player with his technique exercises. His work sheets along will help you play better. He has put a lot of time and effort into the material as you will see and his method is working. Thanks William

George Buechley

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 6:43 am    

I started working with William about the same time as Dan. One of the best things
when you're with William is his willingness to help you with any questions regarding pedal steel (or any other major life crisis stuff that comes up during a phone call). He becomes a musician's counselor for you. And it works both ways. Heck, we've really mellowed him out a little. The main thing is he can really teach pedal steel guitar. So if you want to improve your playing, give William a try.

George

John Luce

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2014 1:58 pm    

I have been participating in William's Saturday classes for 4 months now. They sure have helped my playing. Wish I would have had exposure to this kind of teaching a long time ago.

Joey Andrews

Laurel ,Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2014 4:18 pm     Lesson

William another great lesson today. Thanks