The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Changer Problem
Bill Sherborne

Austin, TX, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 8:09 am    

I have a feeling this is a simple and common problem, but I have searched the forum and can't find a solution.

After taking apart and reassembling the changer on my MSA Classic, when I put the strings on, the changer fingers for strings 2 and 9 are pulled so they are poking out towards the endplate. Both strings are lowered by LKR. Does anyone know what is happening here?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 9:15 am    

Are they on and loose, or at (or near) pitch? If they're slack, the return springs can do that.

Bill Sherborne

Austin, TX, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 9:25 am    

They are at pitch -- as soon as they start to get tight, the fingers get pulled outward.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 9:38 am    

You did put the steel finger in the right position relative to the aluminum?
You did hook up the return springs?
My money is on a simple oversight in reassembly. Can't tell you why only two strings.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 9:42 am    

It sounds like the finger is on the wrong side of the scissor and you can tell this by looking from the keyhead side of the changer and observing the difference between the affected strings and the non- affected strings at the bottom of the cabinet and fix it by loosening up the affected strings (+/- removing the return spring)and using a long screwdriver or something to that effect and repositioning the finger by giving it a lil' push. This sometimes happens when I've removed the return springs for whatever reason and have neglected to ensure that all is well with those relationships prior to reattaching them.

Bill Sherborne

Austin, TX, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2014 3:54 pm    

Still searching. It looks like everything is just too tight -- I got the 2nd string finger back into position and the 7th string pulled out.

I think I may not have put enough nylon spacers between fingers. I put two between each piece and put the rest on the ends -- is that right?

Thanks for your help, guys!

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2014 4:44 pm    

Take a look at how the problem fingers are contacting the stop bar. It may be that the fingers are being pulled back past the stop bar. If that's the case, you will need to make sure the screws which hold the blocks supporting the changer axle are very tight. And the screws securing the stop bar are as tight as possible. Look at these two pictures:

The first pic shows the lowering arm of the finger resting against the stop bar. The second shows the raise arm of the finger only making contact at the extreme corner. All screws are tight. If there is a little play there, it's very easy for the raise arms to slip past the stop bar and look out of position. To fix this, I actually modified the stop slightly to move it and make more positive contact with the stop bar. You may not need to do that, just make sure the raise arm is actually making solid contact with the bar.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2014 8:20 pm    

Good point Bill Smile

Bill Sherborne

Austin, TX, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2014 8:27 am    

Problem solved! It was a reassembly issue after all, and it was Bill's picture that made it all clear. Turns out the stop bar is slightly bowed (which was probably done at some point to correct this problem) and I had put it on upside down, with the curve pointing down instead of up. Since I flipped it over, all scissors are making contact with the stop bar and stopping where they should.

Thanks again for your help!