The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Feelings on Jumping Ship from old to new
Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 5:53 am    

Last night I had an audition with a band that plays new country,

My feelings were like I jumped ship , It wasnt a problem for the cash medlies or trick pony type of songs at all.
The jump part was warming up instantly to new stuff that had rock based progressions where you couldnt get a lick in and if you did it would happen so fast at times that the airwaves drownded the beautiful beast. Alot of these songs really dont even need steel they can use the effect of a string section with reverb galore. And then some with nothing, Its a whole new learning curve.

the feeling of jumping ship took place and it felt like I was having a love affair with a mistress, I gues thats the feeling, WOW

BY THE WAY. They loved it in there mix alot.

anyone have any input on this ?

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 6:31 am    

Can you post the set list with the song title and original artist?
Just curious what type of stuff they are doing.

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 12:30 pm    

Heres a couple, keep in mind im the worst at recognizing a song title with artist.

pontoon /Little big town
white liar/ Mitanda Lambert
Done/Band Perry
5150/ Derks Bentley

theres tons more , even played some Bon Jovi cant remember the song title but I remember turning up the reverb and tuning my pod hd to a string section and using strings 4&8 as simple as melody chords, it was alot of fun, just wondering why I felt like I was jumping ship on the old country , Maybe because ive listened too way to many people I guess.
just my thoughts

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 1:16 pm    

That there's not much different from bar-anthem rock, which every damn bar country band has had to do a few.
I just try to focus on the groove, since at least "Pontoon" has mindnumbingly stupid lyrics.
White Liar ain't bad.
I always think anybody can have fun playing nearly anything.
Except Journey. Their chord progressions are CLOSE to normal, but are different enough to be hard to follow. Every time I've tried to play Journey without a chord chart, my brain hurts from exertion.

Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 4:13 pm    

Run

Run fast

Run hard......

If you think it's bad at this point, wait 'till you've invested time and effort and see how you feel.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 4:15 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
That there's not much different from bar-anthem rock, which every damn bar country band has had to do a few.
I just try to focus on the groove, since at least "Pontoon" has mindnumbingly stupid lyrics.
White Liar ain't bad.

Who cares about lyrics?

"White Liar" ain't bad, I guess--I've found myself doing it lately with a singer who makes it a medley with "Can't You See" and the "Hey Jude" Naaa-naa-naa-nanana-naaa coda at the end--mercifully, not the whole songs, just short quotes!! Rolling Eyes

On the other hand, "Wagon Wheel" is the "Achy Breaky Heart" of the 21st Century (so far). I suppose the lyrics are probably better (they couldn't be worse!), but, again, who cares about lyrics? But the mind-numbing repetition...

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 4:36 pm    

Brint, once I learn the song enough to play it, I listen to the lyrics. Some songs have good ones, some songs have cool grooves and some songs have catchy melodies.
Some only have one. Some have all three. (Hint: Glow Worm. Dang, it's both clever and cute).

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 5:04 pm    

I know, I exaggerate. A good song is enhanced by good lyrics. But it remains true that lyrics are lowest on my scale of values where songs are concerned.
Quote:
Brint, once I learn the song enough to play it, I listen to the lyrics. Some songs have good ones, some songs have cool grooves and some songs have catchy melodies.
Some only have one. Some have all three.
And some have none of the above. Exhibit A: "Achy Breaky Heart"

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 8:34 am    

No reason to compartmentalize so rigidly. Do you think the country bands in the 60's, 70's and 80's minding playing the current covers and felt disloyal to Bob Wills?

It's FM radio that has compartmentalized things to the point that the traditional sounds are rarely heard up in the mix. Don't repeat their mistake.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 12:26 pm    

I've heard steel on Miranda's song "White Liar" and I think steel would fit perfectly on Little Big Town's "Pontoon-if the song doesn't feature steel parts, come up with some. I always experiment with songs that don't feature steel to see how they'd sound with steel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 2:14 pm    

Brint, while I loathe Achy Breaky, and Swingin, and all the rest, they have cool grooves from the point of the dancers on the floor. First time I heard ABH, I knew it was a hit.

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2014 5:14 am    

Well that cheating heart feeling didn't last long,
I've been practicing a bit on the new and
this stuff is quite easy to play I did notice the use
of levers and pedals are not as necessary when comping

also found a use for my blues driver

they had a nice proposal for me because of the indifference in music meaning old to new they actually want to put some of the songs I already know from the old side into their set list which I thought was pretty cool, they just want the songs from the old school to be a little upbeat for the crowd they serve, which gives the pedal steel a place to shine a little better.

after a couple days of practice in the new set list I threw on the Bakersfield album just to suit how I felt about it and my heart went crazy I just love that album that's real music. I'm going to suggest some of those songs for their setlist for sure, Like FOOLIN AROUND

Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2014 7:31 am    

Reading stuff like this just warms the cockles of my heart, whatever those are. Craig, you are contributing to the legacy of steel guitar. Without people like you, the steel guitar community might turn into a bunch of 100 year old folks playing "Your Cheatin' Heart," and wondering why the steel guitar is dying out. Shocked

Granted, I personally only play Western Swing with any regularity, but I have dreams of starting a prog rock band that includes steel guitar and flute. (I'm gonna do it someday, I swear!)

Keep fighting the good fight, y'all. Very Happy

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2014 8:39 am    

Thanks for the kind words Matthew, Gosh I never really looked at it that way, I have my youngest child 11 years old who I noticed sings right along with these new tunes when Im practicing, Makes me feel Hipp when im playin and shes singin.

Thank you everyone for your sincere inputs.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2014 9:04 am    

Craig, when I played "Pontoon" (Little Big Town) in a band, I used a detuned patch from my Zoom 50G stompbox to get a reasonable facsimile of the mandolin that plays all the little lines throughout the song, starting with the intro. The band loved that sound. Had a bit of non-detuned blended with detuned. A chorus could also work in the same way. Or a delay with modulation options.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2014 11:21 am    

Matthew Walton wrote:

Granted, I personally only play Western Swing with any regularity, but I have dreams of starting a prog rock band that includes steel guitar and flute. (I'm gonna do it someday, I swear!) Very Happy

aaaagghhhh.........spare me....!!!
flute is my least favorite sound in the universe from a happenin' get-down perspective.

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2014 5:02 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
Brint, while I loathe Achy Breaky, and Swingin, and all the rest, they have cool grooves from the point of the dancers on the floor. First time I heard ABH, I knew it was a hit.

Me too. And actually, along that same line (no pun intended), there's not enough difference between Achy Breaky Heart and Don Williams' 1982 hit "Tulsa Time" to quibble about.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2014 7:45 pm    

Drew Pierce wrote:
Lane Gray wrote:

Me too. And actually, along that same line (no pun intended), there's not enough difference between Achy Breaky Heart and Don Williams' 1982 hit "Tulsa Time" to quibble about.

No argument from me about "Tulsa Time".

But as far as I'm concerned, whether "TT" or "ABH", the fact that the segment of the public that enjoys line dancing finds a song suitable as a metronomic soundtrack for their rote routines is a far cry from qualifying said song as having a "cool groove". YMMV.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2014 8:43 pm    

Which is not to say an improviser can't find a way to make the most pedestrian song interesting and/or amusing, for him/herself and/or the (listening) public. Smile

Chuck Stowe

Sycamore, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2014 6:24 pm    

The great thing about new country is there are so few steel parts in the songs that you can use your imagination to find something that fits. Be creative and the band will love it. That said, I still love my classic country.

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2014 3:33 am    

I hear you chuck, I'm finding a lot of these songs need the use of effects to make them fun and interesting , "Clash a little" it's nice when you can sound like a pedal steel most of the time , Bring that sound to life,

I will say this, I appreciate the old stuff more when its available.

Never a dull moment and your chops get better when you play all kinds of music.

Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2014 6:36 am    

chris ivey wrote:
Matthew Walton wrote:

Granted, I personally only play Western Swing with any regularity, but I have dreams of starting a prog rock band that includes steel guitar and flute. (I'm gonna do it someday, I swear!) Very Happy

aaaagghhhh.........spare me....!!!
flute is my least favorite sound in the universe from a happenin' get-down perspective.

Aww, you're not a fan of Mr. Tull?

The first time I listened to the album Stormwatch, my mind was blown a little bit.

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2014 9:58 am     Re: Feelings on Jumping Ship from old to new

Craig Schwartz wrote:
the feeling of jumping ship took place and it felt like I was having a love affair with a mistress, I guess thats the feeling...

No offence to your new mistress, but your main squeeze is way hotter. Wink

Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2014 10:09 am     new country

While I love the classic country, as a Professional musician you have to play what pays. Around here it's new and old country, beach and oldies rock. I enjoy playing the new stuff as a way of using pedal guitar in a new way. As long as the band isn't head banger loud it can be fun. Steel isn't just a 'Hillbilly' instrument.

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2014 1:16 pm    

Tim... Laughing Laughing Laughing WAY HOTTER

Doug,... Maranda Lamberts , mommas broken heart song, Learning the effects all over again and learning how to play this new way is actually kinda easier to hear the new moves and figure them out. I just dont know the songs by heart, like I do on listening to the hillbillies, lol

Its most definitly an instrument of many languages( it sometimes dont even sound like a pedal steel at all, way cool instrument with effects rollin through it)