The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best Little Whorehouse In Texas - Bradenton, Fl
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2014 9:16 am    

I'll be playing steel and guitar in the Manatee Players' production of this great show starting October 23 and running through November 9th. Fun show but I haven't done it in about 25 years (Venice Little Theater) so I'll have to be retrained. Larry and Roger....any pointers??

Google Manatee Players for showtimes,ticket, etc.

Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2014 9:49 am    

I did the Honky Tonk Angels show a few years ago, and all I can say is, just do it their way. It may be a song you've played a hundred times, but they don't care, it's got to be done their way. As it turned out, we were the only show to be ever called back the next year, because of popular demand.

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2014 10:05 am    

Larry, I've done 'Always...Patsy Cline' about 7 or 8 times and they usually just turn me loose and let me play what I want. Most of these theater people don't know anything about country music so they just think of the steel as somethng to give the show a 'country' flavor. The first time I did 'Patsy', I had to teach the expert 'reading' drummer how to play a shuffle against a walking bass. They'd probably be better off just hiring a country band except for all the 'between songs' segues and stuff. The only times I've really had to buckle down and read the parts was in 'Evita' and 'Jesus Christ Superstar'. That stuff will keep you on your toes....good thing I wasn't playing steel in those!