The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wanting steel players to upgrade their old LP's to CD's.
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 28 Sep 2014 1:38 pm    

I started this topic with a deleted reply I made to another topic because I didn't want to hijack their topic.

The topic was about folks wanting steel players to upgrade their old LP's to CD's.

We think the LP is great but did you ever stop to think maybe the steel player who recorded the LP at this time doesn't think it was all that great and/or wouldn't want to make a CD out of it because he or she knows a little more about this business than we do.

Spend all that money on a CD to sell in a very limited market and only a few of those will buy the CD and a whole bunch will steal it off the net!

There is already just about everything out there from every player on MP3's and CD's stolen from old LP's and passed around via the net.

I personally don't feel it right to download MP3's stolen from LP's with the exception that I own an LP from which the song was stolen.

In other words it just save me the trouble of converting from an LP I own to CD for my own use.

If you downloaded an MP3 from the LP and you don't own the LP you are just as guilty as the person who put it on the net.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2014 3:35 pm     Re: Wanting steel players to upgrade their old LP's to CD's.

Stuart Legg wrote:

If you downloaded an MP3 from the LP and you don't own the LP you are just as guilty as the person who put it on the net.

This could be construed as an excuse for your own activity, which ends up supporting the original uploader (your 'guilty party'). Did the original uploader upload this with that intent? In the case of MegaUpload, the uploaders were rewarded for more activity.

There are recordings for which I've owned the 8-track, the cassette, the LP, and the CD. You know why I don't download tracks? Two reasons... the record companies are seeding these tracks with nasty viruses, and you don't have to download them when you can stream them from YouTube anytime. YouTube has an ASCAP/BMI arrangement.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2014 3:42 pm    

I need to hook my 78 rpm player to my computer!

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2014 3:51 pm     Re: LP's to mp3

Stephan, Do you have any proof that this virus injection happens?? I buy my tracks from iTunes so I can hear them anytime I desire. Stuart, I think the other Topic is a desire to digitally save steel guitar music. I have thought about converting all my vinyl to AIFF tracks...........Just saying

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2014 3:55 pm    

I don't know if I'd call it a virus. but after doing it, I got a lot of email ads connected to music.

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 10:31 am    

What songs I get are from youtube by YTD video downloader.
You're counted when you looked so you might as well go ahead and download it when you run across something you have on LP.
Free lessons on youtube is a bad deal for everyone who teaches. Sharing should have gone out the window the day you started preschool and your parents had to buy all your glue and Crayolas.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 11:20 am    

You are going to catch heck about the free lessons comment. Folks don’t know what you call teaching.
I know that you believe showing someone how to play part of a song assumes they have already learned enough to play that song and you don’t really think of that as teaching.
However it is sharing and I agree with you about not sharing.
I think it should be left only to the discretion of the steel player who recorded within the song to sell or give away his licks.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 6:35 am    

The steel guitar community is very lucky indeed that the majority of players don't "share" the view you two have of "sharing."

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 9:43 am    

The "viruses" which you refer to are mainly "cookies".
Yes, there are nut-jobs out there that would send you viruses, however you get cookies from the record companies, youtube, itunes, just about everywhere. Thats how they target you for certain ads.
As far as downloading from Youtube, yes, they have an ASCAP-BMI agreement which means it's THEIR responsiblity. They make $$ thru ads and such and seem to be doing pretty good.
So Staurt, it's really OK to download those songs at this point. Don't feel guilty, their legal depts. have fiqured it out pretty much at this point so that they get their cut. Smile

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 10:42 am    

There was a rush when CDs first came out for people to copy their LP collection onto CDs and dump the LPs. That was before anyone mentioned that the coatings on CDs had a limited life. The same thing goes for VHS/Betamax copied onto DVDs. Now, thirty years on, we know better. Those vinyl LPs and tape-based videos will be around long after the CDs and DVDs are no longer playable.

By the way, the jam session tapes that I recorded in the 60s and 70s on reel-to-reel are all still playable.

Progess??? Oh Well

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 11:14 am    

Alan I have some of those old reel-to-reel tapes of my playing made when I first started in the 80's and the steel sounds just as clear now on them as it did then.
I clearly don't want to hear them ever again. Laughing

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 12:02 pm    

Sorry Bo I had to stop on your reel-to-reels while playing them and trying to transfer them to CDs again. I can't figure it out this is the 3rd time and the same thing happens every time.
Every time I always get stopped on this project with the cops knocking on the door and asking me if I've heard anything and I can't help them because I was playing your tapes too loud to hear anything else.
After I get through helping search the neighborhood again for a battered woman I'll get back on your reel-to-reels.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 12:44 pm     Re: Wanting steel players to upgrade their old LP's to CD's.

Stuart Legg wrote:
Spend all that money on a CD to sell in a very limited market and only a few of those will buy the CD and a whole bunch will steal it off the net!

"All that money"? I get very nice, professional quality CDs for about $2 each with no minimum order from kunaki.com. I spent less than $100 releasing my latest CD, "Stella". While it's true that I put a lot of time into the project, the monetary outlay was the least of my concerns.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 2:07 pm     Re: Wanting steel players to upgrade their old LP's to CD's.

b0b wrote:
...the monetary outlay was the least of my concerns.

The Forum must be more lucrative than I thought. Laughing Laughing Laughing

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 2:59 pm    

I've sold over a dozen copies so far, Alan. I spent about $80 for 40 CDs. I've made over $100 and still have about 20 in stock. So yes, the project has turned a modest profit. I think that any steel CD can turn a small profit if you record at home and do all the work yourself.

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 3:05 pm    

b0b Only 40 CDs. My estimation of expenses does not apply.
I never considered such low expectation. Laughing

I'll buy one if you have any left.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 8:49 pm    

Stuart Legg wrote:
b0b Only 40 CDs. My estimation of expenses does not apply.
I never considered such low expectation. Laughing

I'll buy one if you have any left.

Here you go, Stuart. www.steelguitarshopper.com/stella-bobby-lee-cd/

It's easy for me to order more if I run out. Also this year, I did a live CD of Wine Country Swing at a local restaurant. Ordered 20, and we only sell it when we play there. If I had made an LP back in the day, I wouldn't hesitate to reissue it on CD. There's no downside to having CDs to sell at live performances.