The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many steelers double on fiddle?
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2014 4:13 pm    

???

Phone: 971-219-8533

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2014 4:44 pm    

I used to, but had to quit fiddle/violin several years ago due to a cervical spinal (neck) problem.

In my opinion, there are a lot of similarities shared by the two instruments including: a singing tone, lots of two-part harmony, vibrato unencumbered by frets, volume swells, and sustain.

Ronnie Stratton

Montgomery Texas
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2014 6:33 pm    

When I was a kid in the Rio Grande Valley, I remember seeing Norman Newton playing at different dances and was excellent on both steel and fiddle. He kept his fiddle next to his steel and laid the bow in between the necks of his D-10. Played both the steel and fiddle breaks. Not sure where he is now but for where we were then, he was awesome. The whole Newton Brothers band was Nashville material i thought.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2014 4:52 am    

I can name two - Carmen Acciaioli from near Amarillo, and Gene "Sandy" Watson from my area. They both do quite well on both instruments!

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2014 5:04 am    

I know Henry Matthews from Texarkana plays both. He runs an Opry and plays steel at the show and I bet he might even do a little fiddle work there as well.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2014 6:05 am    

Bobby Flores. And you.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2014 7:19 am    

Thanks Paul for the plug. I do double on fiddle and steel. I was a fiddle player long before I played steel. I used to follow the fiddling contest all over the four states area. I still play some fiddle and on our opry, I play usually what ever instrument s most dominant in the song we are doing. If its a show that requires a lot of fiddle like a western swing show we had a while back, I usually call Robbie Primm to play steel and I stay on fiddle. We had a blast that weekend of the western swing, Robbie is an awesome picker. I find it very difficult to swap instruments during a song and at my age, it's hard just getting out from under steel, lol.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2014 7:19 am    

Grady Lindler. Grady ordered a Bigsby, was told there was a three year wait, so while he was waiting,
Grady turned into a great fiddler. His hero was Stephane Grapelli. I got lucky--Their group, the old codgers, needed a guitar player to fill in, so I got the call. Grady played fiddle, and Vern Hester played pedal steel. That band swung!

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2014 4:19 pm    

Fooch Fishetti from Woodstock,NY plays both and is a, regular at the PSGA Show in Ct. He plays both very well!

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2014 8:56 pm    

Rick Campbell is an excellent fiddler and steeler also.

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2014 5:06 am    

Connecticut's (by way of Canada)Terry Sutton is equally adept in both. Plus I heard Smiley Roberts fiddles around. LOL Laughing

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2014 9:00 am    

In my mind. I noodle with it a lot for my own amazement(?). I always said if I could find a band that was bad enough to tolerate me for six months, I could become fairly adept. One band asked me to bring it one night and sit in. Now they won't tell me where their gigs are.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2014 3:46 pm    

I usually end up wanting to shoot the fiddle player! Good thing I don't have to commit suicide!

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2014 4:51 pm    

I used to but it kept me from my Steel too much so I sold it off Very Happy
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2014 6:22 pm    

Doug Stock.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2014 6:34 pm    

There was a guy who played steel with Gretchen Wilson-her first steel player-he played a Zumsteel and also played fiddle. Bobby Flores also plays both fiddle and steel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Tim Sergent

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2014 6:46 pm    

James Pennebaker plays both very well.

Fooch Fischetti

Woodstock, NY US
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 8:00 am    

I double on fiddle and steel (Thank you, John for your kind words). It has helped me make things work as a full time player from my base in Woodstock, NY and has given me the opportunity to play steel with some of my favorite fiddle players and vise versa. Certainly, playing fiddle in the back up band at the PSGA show in Norwalk, CT for many years, has been a wonderful opportunity to play with some superb steel players as well as some of the true Masters of the steel guitar!

Fooch Fischetti

Woodstock, NY US
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 8:07 am    

edited to remove double post.

Last edited by Fooch Fischetti on 29 Sep 2014 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 9:05 am    

Fooch!
It's just that the fiddle players I've had the bad luck to play with were buttheads! Stepped all over everyone else. Couldn't play any rhythm, but felt they had to play all the time. I'd play a fill and play a Bluesy flatted third, and they'd be noodlin' around, during my fill or, worse yet, during my solo, and they'd play a major third. Those two notes don't sound too good together! One was a great fiddle player, but just couldn't stop playing for more than a second or two. I mean that he felt he had to play fills to my fills and my solos! Argh! And they'd do the same thing to the lead guitarist and the keyboard player! They felt they were the center of attention, the only reason people came to the club! No sharing the spotlight with them!
Just my bad luck to play with guys that were great players, but very inconsiderate of the rest of the band. Part of being a good player is knowing when to step back and not play! And their imbibing didn't help either! We unplugged one's mic once, at a New Years gig, and he never was aware of it!
As I said, they were just my bad luck ,,,,,,,,,....... just my bad luck!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 10:43 am    

There is also Scott Walls in Texas.

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 11:33 am    

I do that when it's a Cajun gig.

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 12:16 pm    

John Billings wrote:
Fooch!
It's just that the fiddle players I've had the bad luck to play with were buttheads! Stepped all over everyone else. Couldn't play any rhythm, but felt they had to play all the time. I'd play a fill and play a Bluesy flatted third, and they'd be noodlin' around, during my fill or, worse yet, during my solo, and they'd play a major third. Those two notes don't sound too good together! One was a great fiddle player, but just couldn't stop playing for more than a second or two. I mean that he felt he had to play fills to my fills and my solos! Argh! And they'd do the same thing to the lead guitarist and the keyboard player! They felt they were the center of attention, the only reason people came to the club! No sharing the spotlight with them!
Just my bad luck to play with guys that were great players, but very inconsiderate of the rest of the band. Part of being a good player is knowing when to step back and not play! And their imbibing didn't help either! We unplugged one's mic once, at a New Years gig, and he never was aware of it!
As I said, they were just my bad luck ,,,,,,,,,....... just my bad luck!

I know just what you mean John. Why can't musicians that are good on their instrument realize that you aren't supposed to play all the durn time. When I play fiddle or steel, I just quit playing when it's not my time to play. There are several good guitar players and one good fiddler in this area that play 95 percent of the time. Why can't they hear that, makes me mad just thinking about it, durn!

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 5:31 am    

Hey Jim, I know Scott Walls and have seen him many times in the Austin area and he is a great steel player but I never saw him play fiddle. Not to say he is not, just not aware of it. He plays a lot of gigs with a great fiddle player by the name of Howard Kalish. Back in the day of Don Walser (rip)they were quite a pair on stage. J.R.

Tomas Enguidanos

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2014 7:39 pm    

I do