The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  do you put flags on your knee levers?
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 3:32 pm    

And if so why?

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 4:01 pm    

i take them off cause i don't like the look and prefer just the simple lever.

some people use them because it makes it easier to reach certain levers more comfortably, i guess.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 4:56 pm    

Ok gotcha. I know its an amateur question. I've never played behind a guitar with them. I see them.alot on rkr's do people put them on lkl's too.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 5:28 pm    

I didn't remove them from my Zum or Emmons, I didn't bother to add them to my MSA. I don't find them worth a thought.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 8:19 pm    

Nope. Don't see the need.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 9:15 pm    

I took the standard flag thingie off my RKR lever on my Emmons. It feels better without it to me.

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 9:57 pm     Well

I know this may sound weird. But I bought a Sho Bud super pro and I have inquired like at PSG about flags. It probably depends on how big your feet are ...lol. The vp location and how you sit on the stool. I have to really be cognizant of my right knee location on the RKR and RKL to work them. IMHO it would be nice to have a little flag for me anyways. The left knees are ok. I think it's my foot is on the vp and the location of it. I noted that the older Sho Buds have the RKR kind of catty corner to help in reaching it.
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 12:09 am    

i think they angle the LKL.

flags can be used wherever you think it will help you. i prefer to get my leg solidly against the lever itself.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 2:23 am    

I don't use them or like them, but I do see they may be helpful if your guitar has levers are mounted near the center of the guitar, or has levers that have sharp edges. I feel the radius on knee lever edges should be no less than 1/8", and that the levers should be mounted so the largest (flat) side faces the knee. Strangely, some builders have made them so that the smallest side is against the knee, and that's just stupid, IMHO. Rolling Eyes

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 7:28 am     Yea

I guess the catty cornered is on the LKL of those Buds. I don't have that and I see pics upside down of them. In my mind I was saying oh on the RKR. Which is were I would want mine if I did something, I think. I don't seem to have issues with left knee. See I haven't put leg extensions on this Bud and I am purity snug under there. Ok but not much breathing room. So sometimes be nice to kind of have that extra there to help if needed.

I had a flag on the Emmons on RKR. On those Buds, I guess someone remounted those catty cornered ones. Since I don't know the history not sure if Sho Bud did that at factory. Be interesting to see how that works on either knee. I saw one that Mr. Heady had. Maybe he might know why his is like that.
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 8:54 am    

I put them on where they help. On the Emmons it's RKR only, on the '81 ShoBud the RKR and LKR levers were a reach so I added flags to both of them. The SuperPro C6 LKR is also difficult to reach but I plan to re-locate it to a more accessible location soon, so no flag so far.

A friend and I have made up a number of left- and right-side aluminum lever flags, as well as various other metal parts for pedal steel, and I usually bring them to the steel jamborees here. I'm too busy to actively market them, but if anyone needs anything...

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 12:49 pm    

I like flags on knee levers even if the lever is in a comfortable position. My p/p needs a flag on RKR to fit way I sit under steel but none of the others need flags but I did put one on my E lowers just to make it more comfortable and easier to get to.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 12:51 pm    

Took'em off my Williams because they tended to get hung up in the folds of my bluejeans.

Keith Currie

Shellbrook, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 1:44 pm    

I have them Quentin and like them, even though my legs reach the ground they are short when playing steel and I need all the help I can get.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 3:24 pm    

Keeping it pithy, Flags are for fat people. Not that there are any fat steel players. Winking

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 3:33 pm    

Disagree. Roger Hurst has a few flags, and he's of normal build.

Michael Hummel

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 4:05 pm    

Okay...I'm not ashamed to admit it when I don't know something...even when it seems like everyone else does.

What is a "flag"? When I bought my Shobud Pro III, I just assumed knee levers were supposed to be small and painful! I've gotten used to them and I think not having any more area has made my playing improve faster.

Is a flag just something to make the contact area against the leg wider? I would think it would make less of a "feel" against the leg, but I guess it's whatever you get used to.

Cheers,
Mike

Keith Currie

Shellbrook, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 4:15 pm    

Well lets define fat?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 5:32 pm    

Michael, this guitar has flags on RKR and LKFront.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=247487
Zum puts them on RKR
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=272302

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 5:54 pm    

The emmons I play came with a flag on the rkr- I like it- but switching to my other flag-less steel, I don't particularly miss it.
I'd say flags are more for the skinny folk, like myself- giving you a broader target.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 6:46 pm    

Don't need 'em. Don't like 'em. And I use 6/7 knee levers. I figured they were for "big" guys who couldn't shift their knees around , or for skin and bone guys who got hurt by thin levers.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 9:08 pm    

Wayne, if you're talking about the LKL knee lever on your Super Pro, it is a straight cross shaft from the factory. One of the biggest screw ups Sho Bud made, in my opinion, was not angling the LKL as in the earlier models.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 9:17 pm    

Richard,
I'm restoring a gorgeous 72/73 S-10. I'm finding things that I can't believe were let out the factory door! And I have to fix them, 40 years later! Here's a lousy pic, but I think you can see the problem. They didn't drill the hole right, and I've had to bend the slider screw. It's always been like this! That changer-end front leg has never been tight! Showbud,,,,,,,,,.....! I love them though. But people seldom realize the problems! Non-existent quality control!

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 10:37 pm     Re: do you put flags on your knee levers?

I have them on my Sho-Bud Uni...LKL and RKR. The rest are all the "tear drop" levers but although they look good, those two I mentioned catch your knee bone...so Richard Burton made these for my 'Bud Very Happy

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Geoff Noble

Scotland
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2014 12:53 am    

I made a set of flags for my Carter U12. I'm quite skinny and the levers were hurting my knees. I also have had problems with my knees recently and found that after playing for a few hours my knees would ache badly.

I'm all for a bit of pain adding to the mix but there are limits!

Does it affect the action, probably, but I'm not that fast that it makes a difference Oh Well

Here's a photo of the steel with flags on. I covered the flags in 2mm Eva foam for comfort.

"There is no bad music, only music you don't like" - Me

YTube- http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFqsA-Ahlgr2Z2sw71WJHGg/videos

SCloud - https://soundcloud.com/just-jef/tracks