The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  LGII Hum Problem
Michael Sparks

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 4:40 pm    

I have an LG II that has started putting out a hum that makes it unsuitable for playing and I can’t figure out where it’s coming from. I’ve run this guitar through three different volume pedals and three different amplifiers and it’s without a doubt the LG.

The LG has two new factory pickups. I’ve poked and prodded every wire and solder connection from the “tele switch”, the toggle switch and the tone pot with no change in the interference signal; thought I had it figured out when I jostled the quarter inch jack at the changer and heard a momentary interruption in the interference – I replaced the jack, but it changed nothing.

So the LG is out of commission.

I played a club in Port Arthur Saturday night with my spare steel (a G2) and was struck by the difference in sound to the overall band product. I was not alone – I got comments beaucoup from bandmates and repeat fans – none of which would have found their way into a retailer's add.

I need to get this signal glitch with the LG figured out asap and I’m not sure where to go.

Emmons Resound 65 (any minute now...), 2017 Mullen G2, 2010 Emmons Le Grande II, 2003 Emmons Le Grande III, Emmons PP x 2, Telonics VP, Milkman 85W Pedal Steel Amp, Milkman Mini-40

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 4:57 pm    

I'm thinking you were on to something with the jack. Were the wires near either switch or jack unusually stiff (a sign of corrosion and failure inside the insulation)?
Not sure why a new jack didn't fix it.

Michael Sparks

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 5:52 pm    

Nope - wires were all good - not surprisingly as the pickups were new.

Emmons Resound 65 (any minute now...), 2017 Mullen G2, 2010 Emmons Le Grande II, 2003 Emmons Le Grande III, Emmons PP x 2, Telonics VP, Milkman 85W Pedal Steel Amp, Milkman Mini-40

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 9:38 pm    

I would take it to a guitar tech in Houston. The hum could be all sorts of things. Any decent repair guy should be able to figure it out pretty fast. Regular electric guitars are about the same as steel guitars as far as the electronics go.

You maybe just shorted out the whole guitar when you messed with the jack.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2014 2:08 pm    

So, did the problem occur only when the new pickups were installed? If you went from humbuckers to the old single-coil design, you've found why many of us don't use single-coil pickups.

However, if both the old and new pickups were single-coils, then they're either wired backwards, or you've lost a ground connection somewhere. (Make sure the changer and any shielded wire on the pickups is grounded to the endplate.)