The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DRM Digital Rights Management ?
Larry Robertson

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 6:07 am    

I hope this is the correct forum area for this. I was trying to load a piece of music into a couple 'slow down' applications that I have, ASD, and Temp Slow. Both of those programs require the target piece of music to be resident on my computer, in this case an iPhone, to be loaded into the app. I own a CD of the piece of music, the CD has been copied to my computer and lives in my itunes library on my computer. When I try to load the song into the slow down apps, both of them tell me they can't load it due to problems with digital rights management. If I have purchased a CD, don't I own the right to copy it? Also, how are DRM permissions attached to a music file, either CD, DVD, or downloaded from the internet.? Thanks in advance for any info on this issue. Larry

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 7:34 am    

Can you load these songs in your iPhone and play them? I would think if you can play them in your phone the app would be OK with them???

I have an iPhone5. I tried the Temp SloMo and couldn't get it to work so I uninstalled it. I installed Anytune and could play (and change) any song I selected, including purchased songs and songs from my PC's hard drive that I added to iTunes.

Larry Robertson

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 8:33 am    

Hi Jack, That's what is confusing me. I can play the tune on my iPhone and/or my iPad and have ASD lite and Tempo Slow apps (which I downloaded from the App store)on both "i" devices but the apps won't load the tune(s). This particular CD is maybe 15 years old and is a compilation of boogie woogie piano recordings by various artists that I found in a discount bin. It is copyright 1998 by Rounder records. Maybe the CD does not have the DRM info attached to the recordings and the apps are needing the DRM info before loading. I have other slowdown programs on my PC's (one called 'Transcribe') that will load the tunes from this CD into the program & speed can be manipulated, so I do have a way to work with the & study the tune(s), but this DRM stuff seems to be getting in the way on the 'i' devices or these apps. Thanks for you ideas Larry

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 2:25 pm    

By default, iTunes will "rip" tracks from a CD in a proprietary AAC format which includes "Fairplay DRM" Digital Rights Management based on the copyright data that is embedded in every commercial CD. The other Apple devices all communicate with your iTunes account so they don't mind. You just need to change the default settings for ripping audio CDs in iTunes to "mp3" and the resulting file will be saved without DRM. Alternatively you can use a different program to rip CDs, there are hundreds of them if you do a Google search. By default, Apple wants to control your every move.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 4:31 pm    

I've got several Audio CD ripping programs but use the free "Audiograbber", that will rip to wav or mp3 (if you have an MP3 encoder such as the free Lame).

http://www.audiograbber.org/

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2014 12:56 am    

Freecorder is an alternative....( free download )

For years I used an external recorder on the PC audio port as well, like a Zoom H2 ( MP3 mode) etc..you will be quite surprised at the quality...

all of this music permission stuff started out on a good note but then ended up being a pain for the people who are actually buying the music !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Larry Robertson

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2014 4:53 am    

Thanks for the info guys! It was the AAC files the wouldn't load. I used iTunes to rip so that I could have them on my iPhone library so I could study anywhere. I've got slowdown apps on my desktop that load almost any audio file type, so now I gotta find a way to rip to MP3 and move those files to the phone. MediaPlayer will rip to mp3, and also slowdown, but how do I get the mp3s into the phone? I've got Rhapsody on the phone, which handles MP3 downloads from their online library, but don't know how to get mp3s from desktop to phone. Any ideas? Maybe a new app would be best to build an MP3 library for learning licks on the phone slow downers. Thanks again, Larry R

David Donn

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2014 5:20 am    

Larry, probably the easiest thing to do it change your itunes settings to always rip to mp3 instead of AAC. You will have to re- rip any existing CDs . It is possible to transcode your files from AAC to mp3 but generally transcoding gives poor quality results. It's better to rerip.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2014 6:41 am    

I don't believe the AAC format is copy protected. See if you can find the file in question on your hard drive. From within iTunes, select the song in question and choose "Reveal in Finder" (or the equivalent in Windows). Look to see if it is a protected file (extension will be .m4p) or a standard AAC file (extension will be .m4a).

If all else fails, you can just copy the actual file directly from the CD without iTunes. You'll end up with an AIFF or WAV file that's huge, but unprotected.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 12:26 pm    

I had problems with some of my own recordings of my singing and playing my own compositions, which I originally recorded on 8-channel reel-to-reel and mixed down onto a stereo Minidisk, to use as a master. Then when I tried to copy from the Minidisk onto CDs for distribution I got the message that I couldn't copy copyrighted music. But it's my own music. Shocked

I should add that I was using an optical cable connection.

Larry Robertson

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 2:38 pm    

Alan, how did you resolve the problem?

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 4:25 pm    

I gave up mastering onto Minidisks, and I gave up using optical connections. If you only use Audio In and Audio Out sockets, there is no digital information carried over regarding copyrights or the number of times copies have been made. Audio inputs have no way of knowing where the signal comes from.

The same holds for the Audio Input on a video recording. The copyright protection is embedded in the video signal, not the audio signal, so you can always make audio copies of CDs, DVDs and VHSs. Unfortunately, few people want to do that, unless they're collecting the movie soundtracks for some reason.