The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Asher Hawaiian Junior lap steels in stock in Atlanta?
Fraser Moffatt

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 7:19 am    

I've been looking at the Asher Electro-Hawaiian Jr and am very interested. Being in Canada, I can't find anyone to ship that product. Some sort of embargo on Californian lap steels maybe Smile ? Also want to try before I buy and don't want the hassle of ordering/returning internationally.

Anyways, I will be in Atlanta on business middle of next month and trying to see if there are any shops stocking the H Jr. I figured out that Guitar Center sells them and I tried to get them to ship one to an Atlanta area store, but I have to buy it first. Fine, but I can't actually carry out the purchase if I'm ordering from Canada. Argh!

Any ideas? I would also entertain the idea of buying used...Craiglist Atlanta turns up nothing.

Thanks!

Steve Branscom

Pacific NW
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 12:24 pm    

There's 2 or even 3 of them on ebay.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 12:24 pm    

I don't normally see many Asher lap steels in stores. Try contacting Bill Asher directly through his website to see what he'd say.

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 4:52 pm    

Why not contact Bill directly? He has a web page, and he's a great guy.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

Tom Snook

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 5:06 am    

Is there an echo in here? Laughing

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 5:17 am    

Asher .... Asher ... Asher ...Asher

Fraser Moffatt

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 7:18 am    

I guess I'll get hold of Bill, then!

I'm also wondering if there are any smaller specialty shops in Atlanta I might try, if nothing else just to poke around somewhere new to me.

Thanks, lads!

Steve Cunningham

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 8:57 am    

Unfortunately, lap steels don't turn up that often in the ATL market. The places I check out might occasionally have the odd, overpriced BR-9, but not much more than that.

YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/user/SingingStringsMusic?feature=mhee

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 9:30 pm    

here is my asher electro hawaiian junior with a gibson ga9 amp.
i have to say the quality is outstanding and the sound is great. there is someone else on this forum who has one and he has had some mods done but he really likes his also.

hope you don't mind my chiming in.
play music!

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/

Fraser Moffatt

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2014 3:43 pm    

Michael - certainly don't mind you chiming in! Nice lookin' guitar and sweet amp! Bet they sound great together.

I've got a couple of Crestline series GA-19RVTs (a '63 and a '64). Not nearly as sweet looking as yours, although they sound pretty good to me.

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2014 3:57 am    

Fraser, here in NS, I feel your pain- I have an electro hawaiian Jr you're welcome to try out if you ever make it east. If you choose to buy before you try-and you're actually allowed to-and decide its not for you, I'm confident you could easily sell it used in Canada for the price you paid- without canadian tax and importation fees, I bet it would move quick.

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2014 3:58 am    

Fraser, here in NS, I feel your pain- I have an electro hawaiian Jr you're welcome to try out if you ever make it east. If you choose to buy before you try-and you're actually allowed to-and decide its not for you, I'm confident you could easily sell it used in Canada for the price you paid- without canadian tax and importation fees, I bet it would move quick.

Fraser Moffatt

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2014 1:34 pm    

Thanks Asa for the input and the offer. If I come that far to try it out, I'll do my best to buy it from you! Very Happy

Fraser Moffatt

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2014 10:47 am    

Looks like I may have found one in Montreal. Waiting hear back on a price. Fingers crossed! Very Happy

Fraser Moffatt

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 3:14 pm    

Done deal with the Asher from Montreal. Got a really good deal on a black one. Not my first choice in colour, but I'll live with it! Can;' wait to get it in my hands!!

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2014 9:52 am    

I love my Asher H-Jr, and the stock pickups were fine, but changed them out for Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups earlier this year, and I love them.

-David Spires

Fraser Moffatt

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2014 7:35 pm    

Welp, I picked up fthe EH-Jr rom the post office this afternoon, plugged it in and after a couple hours of playing it, it's a keeper. Got the plain black one for a good price and have her in G dobro tuning. Need to explore C6 or E7 or something different. What a solid guitar. Really well intonated compared to other lap steels I've played.

Reminds me of the feel and weight and finish of my old Les Paul Studio and certainly in similar sonic territory. I could see myself changing the pickups down the road, though. Lollars? Sd Antiquities? 57 Classics?

David - what tuning have you got yours in? What kind of rig are you playing through?

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2014 9:34 pm    

Try some P-90s on there... several companies make them in 'bucker housings.

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2014 3:29 am    

Fraser,

On the road, I'm using a Fulltone 2 Mosfet edition (mainly to hit the front end of the amp harder), a little delay and reverb (pedals), into a Blues Jr. III. Tuned like a Dobro, but down a half-step (because of some of the keys we are in)... It's really been great for the overdriven slide sound in Josh's material. If I remember right, Steve Hinson used a Gibson SG and a Fender Deluxe amp in the studio on the tunes. The whole thing that drew me to the Asher was the dual humbucker design, and the ability to play it standing up (I use it wirelessly).

I've also got a Fender Reissue Deluxe Reverb head at home that sounds killer in the same context. (Even with an old Rick Fry Pan I have there).

-David

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2014 6:26 am    

David,

How are you playing it standing up - with a regular strap or somehow else?

Glad you guys are liking yours. I think they're great guitars.

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2014 9:15 am    

Brad,

The strap and belly bar that comes when you order that option. Works great, and for the first time ever - I feel like I'm part of the activity going on. Ha!

-David

Fraser Moffatt

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2014 7:01 pm    

Mark - ooh, yes P-90s. Had them in an Epi '56 Goldtop reissue thingy I used to use for bottleneck slide back in the day. Damn fine greasy tone! You've got me thinking....

David - nice setup! Did a bit of a Youtube search for you and Josh so I could listen, but didn't come up with anything definitive. Would you have any links perhaps?

My set-up in progress will be Asher > Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and/or Fulltone OCD > EHX Memory Boy > Gibson GA-19 RVT. I like a little slapback with my reverb.

It's gonna sound nice but I just have to learn how to played the durned thing better! Very Happy

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2014 1:40 pm    

This is a clip of us in Switzerland a month ago, not way up in the mix, (and using the bridge pickup for the solo), but the solo is at 3:43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewOonLpN7Gc

It's a backlined Blues Jr. (not mine), but I was pleased - representative of what I like out of it.

-David Spires

Fraser Moffatt

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2014 5:24 pm    

David - thanks for the link, I enjoyed that. Funny camera angle, eh? Had you in the shot almost the whole time!