The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Console Grande electronics
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2014 12:59 pm    

If anyone has some knowledge of early 40s Gibsons maybe you can help. I am trying to access the volume and tone controls but there seems no way into the guitar. No access panels,etc. This is the guitar.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2014 5:49 pm    

Looks like one or both of the pickup mounting plates has to come off.

K Maul

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2014 6:05 pm    

Those aren't mounting plates. They are metal plates that are for sustain and added mass. There seems to be no access at all to the wiring. Both necks are always on,no selector switch. When they built it they seemed to have sealed eveything in.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2014 6:12 pm    

Quote:
Both necks are always on, no selector switch.

I had an early National D-8 Console that was like that. There was no selector switch and both necks were always active. It even had two separate outputs, one for each neck!

K Maul

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2014 6:57 pm    

I would settle for that! Then I could plug each neck into its own channel.
I made a mute that I slip under the neck not being played-mostly the front because when I play that one my arm mutes the back neck. This is a beautiful instrument, to eye and ear, but not too adaptable for most modern applications.

Don McGregor

Memphis, Tennessee
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2014 7:15 pm    

Can you remove the lower pickup, and see if its cavity extends beneath the pots? I had an ES150 with he Charlie Christian PU, and I had to repair its wiring through the F-holes. It was a major pain involving a coat hanger and some swear words.
I'm not a purist, so, if you can't fix the pots with Deoxit down the shaft, and you can't get in there, I say rout an access panel somewhere, either a black, pick guard-type plate on top to mount the controls on(and while you are there, add a PU selector), or on the bottom, where a minor and useful alteration to such a beautiful vintage piece would out of sight.

K Maul

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2014 5:28 am    

Good idea! Thanks. I already have changed the tripod leg mounts to something more stable [ which Don Helms did to his I hear,so I'm OK with THAT ]. A cosmetically friendly change like that could work for me. I so am not a purist/collector of that type. I like playing cool beautiful stuff.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2014 8:29 am    

Beautiful! Is this the one that was at Mandolin Brothers? (http://mandoweb.com/Instruments/Gibson-Console+Grande+Table+Steel+Guitar/898). If so, I wonder if moving the original plate covered something. Seems like a bit of a long shot, I'll admit...

K Maul

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2014 9:53 am    

No I got it from a mandolin player Buddy Merriam from Long Island. And for a lot less than $1500 !! YAY. No case though.