The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fascinating pedal steel - BosSan Push Pull
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2012 1:30 pm    

You forgot Bethel and Brandley.

I have never had a Bilt-well, nor a Bil-Tel. I only know of the Blankenship and Wheeler in New Mexico, and I do not want that one. The rest on your list I have had or have.

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 10:52 am    

Deleted

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 21 May 2018 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 2:12 pm    

I forgot Blanton and Jerry sent md the first Blanton he made. It is a 1964.
Brandley is a guy who modified steels in the Fifties and probably early Sixties. He made a few guitars that were like the Blankenship and Wheeler that mike Black had or has.

Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2012 8:16 am    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
I am going to take a look at it tomorrow morning. I'll let everybody know what I think about it.

Mike, did you get a chance to check it out? What did you think of it?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2012 8:37 am    

The Craigslist listing has expired. Did anyone save the pictures?

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2012 8:45 am    

Cliff Kane wrote:
Mike Perlowin wrote:
I am going to take a look at it tomorrow morning. I'll let everybody know what I think about it.

Mike, did you get a chance to check it out? What did you think of it?

No. I had an appointment with the lady who has it, and she asked me to call her last Sunday at 10:AM to get the address, which I did. She was not in so I left a message on her voice mail, and she never called me back.

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2012 4:51 am     BOS-SAN pictures

This was on the show-room floor at Billy Cooper's a few years ago:

Bob Poole

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2014 8:20 pm     bos-san advert picker.

I'm takin a guess here,but could the long-haired fella be Dale Pennington,from NC's Sutter's Gold Streak Band?

Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 6:50 am     Bos-San Pedal Steel

I have the last Bos-San pedal steel that was in process of completion when the two owners ceased production and passed away. Harold Flynn had just begun production of his Flynn pedal steel guitar company in Knoxville and learned that the widow of one of the owners had some milling machinery for sale. Harold went to Richmomd, bought the machinery and the widow included the incompleted Bos-San. Following Harold's death I bought Harold's company, including the partially completed Bos-San which is still in my workshop. I noted earlier that Billy Cooper had one of the Bos-Sans in his store in Richmond and I plan to send it to him for completion and sale there. (Virginia

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 9:54 am    

since it says ht spain under each picture, maybe it's ht spain.

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 7:50 pm    

Harold Spain actually held a patent on that guitar. He suffered the ravages of diabetes and lost one of his legs to the disease. He was still able to get around his shop reasonably well on crutches until his death in, I believe, 1988. Millie, his widow, contacted me about buying out the business. I couldn't at the time, so I passed the info on to Harold Flynn who did buy the equipment.
Harold Spain used mostly cocobolo wood on his guitars. It's a dangerous wood to sand because of its toxicity....you HAVE to wear a protective mask or risk the consequences. This design lends itself well to very complex setups. A pull can be made raise-predominant, lower-predominant, or equalized. I regret not being able to take over where Mr. Spain left off. He was a fine machinist and his guitars exhibited that fact. There used to be a prominent player in the Richmond area who played a S-14 BosSan, but I don't remember his name.
PRR

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 10:51 pm    

Here's the patent
that Paul speaks
of ~> click
~Rw

Bob Poole

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 12:22 pm     Bos-San advert

Talked to a former Sutters Gold Streak Band member & the hillbilly-hippie in the ad is,as I suspected,Dale Pennington(Peton).Nobody seems to know where he is now.He played some really good steel,sometimes sounded like a blend of Buddy Cage & Jerry Garcia.

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 4:25 pm    

The hippie looking fellow is Harold Spain's son.

The guy with the german helmet on is me.

Bob Poole

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 6:26 pm     oops !

Guess I was wrong.a former bandmate of Dale's IDd the guy as Peton,as Dale was known.Sorry for any confusion.

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 7:49 pm    

Sid,
My main memory of you back in mid-70's Richmond is playing the fire out of that Leon Rhodes/335 style Epiphone. I do recall seeing you play a little steel but never with a thumbpick--and back then your hair wasn't as long---mine was much longer and more scraggly!!
The fellow that Paul referred to playing the S-14 Bos-San was most likely Don Fullmer who used to hang out at Harold's shop a lot back then and talk about the 14 string that Harold was going to build him.
I have to add this in memory of Harold Spain. I bought a real POS D-10 Emmons copy from one of those Broad Street (Richmond VA) music stores in 74 and after taking a lesson or two from Teddy Lloyd at Metro Music on Hull street, he said take that thing to Harold Spain, he can get it fixed up for you--and Harold did, and wouldn't hardly take any payment for his work!
I think at the time he was already mostly retired from wherever he spent most of his life working and had a pretty well set up machine shop in a very small one car garage sized space next to his house. He was already well on the way to making his first Bos-San at that time (I never met the other guy, just Harold) and told me all about how it was going to work so well which was way over my head at the time, but he also taught me enough to have confidence working on my own guitars. My main memory of Harold was that he was just a very kind, soft spoken and humble man with a real love of steel guitars and enough confidence in his knowledge and skill to think he could build a better one. There are most likely many other examples of people like that all over the country in our little steel guitar world that no one ever heard of and it's one of the things that make our unique instrument great. Harold was a certainly a master craftsman as well as a fine machinest and a good thinker.
About five years ago I almost bought a Bos-San d-10 that Billy Cooper had at his store (not the green one above) just out of respect for Harold but I wound up buying Ray Garrett's long scale Pro-III that also turned up there not too long before Ray passed.

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 10:47 pm    

I still play "very little" steel. The thumb pick is never something I could make work for make.

Harold was a great man.

I still stay in touch with Teddy about once per week. You should call him sometimes. Call me if you need his phone number.

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 9:18 am    

Sid,
I meant played steel only occasionally, you could play it well back then if I remember right and judging by the your CD that still holds very true.
thanks for the strings!!