The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Strings breaking on changer
Nick Waugh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 7:04 am    

I raised the recent problem I am having with breaking strings. I have a Carter SD10 that is 7 years old, and I have not had this problem with it before. What is happening is that the strings are breaking on the changer - At first it was just the 3rd string that was breaking, now it's the 4th and the 10th strings. This is happening on a weekly basis. Somebody said there might be a scratch on the changer, but would this be the case for all 3? Would a scratch cause a 38mm string to break?

Could I have scratched the changer by moving the strings across when I am making sure there is an equal distance on the changer between each string? I can't imagine it would be cheap or easy to fit a new changer. Any ideas out there?

Nick

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 7:17 am    

Nick if changer fingers were scratched or grooved you would be able to see that.If it was only one string I would probably say it could be a bad run of strings, but highly unlikely it would be three separate gauges.Are you near Ron Bennett ,Dave Wiggins or Shakey?they could perhaps check it over for you.I had a ShoBud for Twenty years that ran through thirds at quite a rate, despite trying different makes gauges etc , having it checked over by several guys it continued to do it till the day I sold it.Perhaps others who might have similar problem might chip in with answers.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.