The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Garth is playing in Chicago tonight...
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 5:50 am    

Right Dustin. Why people need to attack an artist they don't like is beyond me. I have even done it, when I shouldn't have. Garth is far from my favorite singer, but he he still believes in carrying a steel guitar player, and a damn good one, when others are abandoning the steel guitar.

If you don't like an artist, just say so, and move on.

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 7:01 am    

Bruce agreed to a 3 year stint with Garth, Terry Crisp will be filling the slot with Reba...Thats the skinny i got...Smile...Awesome BB!
Garth's agreement to play Vegas, at Steve Winn's place was cut short due to low attendance...I heard Shania's attendance was even lower than his..
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 7:32 am    

Quote:
Garth's agreement to play Vegas, at Steve Winn's place was cut short due to low attendance...I heard Shania's attendance was even lower than his..

Is this recent news? If so, it would be hard for me to understand how he would go from that to selling out concerts now. Then again, not everyone does well in Vegas...

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 10:52 am    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Quote:

Is this recent news? If so, it would be hard for me to understand how he would go from that to selling out concerts now. Then again, not everyone does well in Vegas...

Yeah its a different thing. In Vegas I'd want to see something like Penn & Teller not Garth solo on an acoustic telling stories. If I pay money to see Garth I want to see a full band and the big stage show.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 5:05 pm    

Mickey Adams wrote:
Bruce agreed to a 3 year stint with Garth, Terry Crisp will be filling the slot with Reba...Thats the skinny i got...Smile...Awesome BB!

...the story around town is that Mike johnson has taken the Reba gig...

Barry Gokee

Sault Ste Marie Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2014 4:17 pm    

Mike Johnson did take the gig with Reba. He told me it was around 25 dates a year. Possibly one of the most lucrative steel gigs out there. Personally I would much rather hear Garth today verses the so-called country that is out there in todays society.
Nashville 112 Pro-fex

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 6:14 am     I saw Garth's last Chicago show last night..

I hadn't planned on going to the "Bruce Bouton concert" at the Allstate Arena last night, but a friend of mine comped me, and I am glad I went. I always liked & respected Garth's music, but after seeing the show, I would call myself a fan. The band was great, and of course uber-professional. The moving stage parts were a little over the top, probably really dangerous, but fun to watch and I suppose required of a show of this magnitude. Even if I could do what Garth does, I'd be dead 30 minutes into the show, either from a heart attack, or being caught in some giant gears. The thing that struck me the most though was when Garth said "It's amazing when you hear something you wrote 15 years ago being sung back to you by 20,000 people". And it was, and it happened over and over again. It made you realize the impact Garth's music has had on our collective memories. It was not unlike going to a Beatles concert - I didn't expect the show to have that kind of emotional impact.
Mr. Bouton nailed everything, both in content and tone.
I give the show two thumbs up.

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 10:40 am    

Garth sold out every show in Vegas. It was a five year deal then Wynn talked him into doing additional shows. All due respect Mickey but you are dead wrong on this one. I left Reba on great terms and Mike Johnson replaced me.
Cheers
BB

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 12:02 pm    

Bruce: you were great. Hope you caught your plane...Glenn

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 7:39 pm    

How the h/// do you guys do that! I mean extract
someones comments and move them to your post. I cant even get a picture of myself under my name, Not
that anyone would care to see it. Garths wife has
a cooking show my wife watch's. He's usually on
there eating her food. Maybe you can catch him on her show before he goes on tour. Tennessee Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Last edited by Lee Dassow on 16 Sep 2014 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 10:01 pm    

Click on the quote button in the upper right corner. That will open up a new reply with that ehole post quoted.

Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 2:58 am    

Everyone knows who Garth is, and a few may even remember his alter-ego Chris Gaines. I just found my Lost In You CD single from '99 and had to laugh. That guy can sing!

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 3:43 pm    

Thanks for that info Richard. B.B. has always been one of my favorites, especially in the 90's, when he was with Ricky Scaggs. T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Last edited by Lee Dassow on 11 Jan 2015 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 7:45 pm    

One reason to do it is, if you are replying to a post that was 20 posts back, people might not get what you're talking. Another reason is, if it is a hot topic and someone says some that he might go back and edit, again it makes the posts that follow not make sense.