The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Larry Self, another steel player and friend, gone
Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 4:49 pm    

I just talked with Angie Self on e-mail. It saddens me deeply to learn Larry Self passed away to be with the Lord yesterday, Sunday Sept 14th, after a long battle with colon cancer. ...Larry was a true friend to Pedal Steel Guitar and to me personally. Many of you probably knew Larry: he owned The Music Store in Debary, Fl for several years, and later owned a music store in Dayton, Tenn. Larry hosted Steel Guitar jams several years in and around DeBary, Fl ...
Angie tells me the viewing will be at Coulter-Garrison Funeral Home in Dayton, Tn on Wed from 5-7 EST. and the Funeral is Thurs at 2 PM. ...
May God's Peace and Rest be with Angie and the Family. ...
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-

Jim Princehorn

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 4:59 pm    

We first met Larry when he was playing clubs in Michigan City, IN. A great musician and greater person. Our prayes to Angie and family.

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 7:34 pm    

I am deeply saddened by this news. I first met Larry Self about 20 yrs. ago at his store in DeBary, Florida. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, may he rest in peace.

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 9:21 pm    

This is sad news....I haven't seen Larry for several years, but he was a good guy and a true champion of the steel guitar. May he rest in peace.

Billy Easton

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 2:16 am    

I too got the sad message yesterday. I knew he was battling cancer but didn't know how bad it was.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 3:40 am    

Larry was a great friend. I enjoyed many happy hours jamming and trading good natured barbs in his Florida store. After my set at the Choo-Choo show Larry took the mic and thanked me for a totally "adequate" performance.
I saw the video later and Larry was being very kind with his evaluation of my set.
Our phone calls always started with "may I speak to the worst steel player in the world". The response was "I am speaking to him".
I got to meet many of my steel guitar heros because of Larry.
Rest in peace my friend and enjoy Heaven. Sandy and I will keep Angie and their family in our prayers.

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 4:36 am    

I met Larry at his store around 1995 when I moved to this area. He was always upbeat and fun to talk to. Every time I go through Debary I am reminded of Larry and his store, and wish I could stop by to see him. I hate to hear this and will put his family in my prayers.

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 8:10 am    

I met Larry for the 1st time at his store in Debary,FL in around 1997 when I moved to Florida. I sat down and played his blue Mullen he had. What a sweet steel just like the man who owned it.

Rest in peace Larry.

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar

Ron Brown

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 5:11 am    

The obit. for Larry can be found here:

www.coultergarrisonfuneralhome.com/

bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 1:24 pm    

may he rest in peace!
prayers for all the family & friends.
bruce & lynn

Stan Paxton

Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 2:18 pm    

Thank you Ron, for posting this link. I'm sure all of us friends and acquaintenances appreciate it.
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-

Leonard Kindley

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 6:30 am    

It is with heavy heart that I write this. Larry and I go way back to Mishawaka,IN.where we grew up as kids.Larry and my sister went to school together.We both was into Steel Guitars at a very early age.I bought a triple neck Fender from him with a coat hanger attached to a chain to a peace of wood with a screw that you would stomp into the floor to make a very crude pedal.Later because of economics we started a 5 piece country and rock band. He played rhythm, and Vocals.I played Bass.We had John Harbison on lead guitar,Carlis Casel on Sax, and Denny Krah on Drums.We stayed together for over 10 years.As time past He moved to Florida, then Tenn.We still stayed in touch through the years.He was a good friend and I will miss him.I know he is now with our Lord and his pain and suffering has all gone. My heart goes out to Angie and family.

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 10:49 am     Sam White

I went to one of Larry's Last Steel Guitar Shows and Claud Brunell was playing his Stand up Steel YGuitar and one of the front legs started to colaps and he just kept right on playing.Rest in Peace Larry and Claude. They are playing together now.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association

Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2014 9:33 am    

God, it seems like only a few years ago that I walked in to "The Music Store" in Debary, FL. and met Larry. He had just gone into business and only had a few Rickenbacker Guitars on the wall of his tiny little shop. He was always so nice to me and my daughter when I went in to see what he'd gotten in or just stopped by to visit. I went to every one of his Steel Guitar shows and think about them and him all the time. I still have things I bought off of him. I lost track of him after I moved on and out of Florida along with him moving to Tennessee, although we e-mailed one another a few times. I've missed seeing him around and talking to him since back then. So sorry to hear he's passed on, it hurts me.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2014 9:52 am    

Sorry to hear about Larry; I spent half a day in his store about 14 years ago, trying to decide between a Derby D-10 & a LeGrande II D-10, & he was very patient & didn't mind me going back & forth between the 2 steels fo a few hours (I bought the LeGrande) He was very helpful & a real nice guy. he will be missed.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2014 6:35 am    

My condolences to his family and friends.

Jeffery Self

Spring City,Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 10:20 am    

Larry loved each and every one of you fella's. A lot of you were his only companions on many days in that old music store. He cherished his memories with all of you, this I know. His family would like to thank all of you for your kind posts. GOD BLESS!

Remembering Larry Self (1936-2014)

Jeffery Self

Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 7:49 pm    

Hey Ben, It's people like you and Stan and Barry that kept Larry going at times. You guy's were true friends to him as well Exclamation Ben I have some pics of you with the late Rob Parker and the late Harold Fogle, as well as countless others I will post soon. GOD BLESS!!

Jeffery Self

Post  Posted 27 Nov 2014 10:18 pm    

50's I believe a '54 Triple neck Stringmaster
70's Gotta love those cumfy seats back then!! Same '54 Stringmaster
90's Not sure of year on black Emmons Confused Very Happy

Jeffery Self

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 10:35 pm    

Hey Barry,
Long time no see!!
Found a picture of you in "The Music Store" in DeBary Fl with them Rickenbacker's on the wall

Where does the time go????

Stan Paxton

Post  Posted 19 Dec 2014 5:27 am    

Cool Hey Jeff, I really appreciate seeing these pix; helps keep good memories alive somehow. ...thanks

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2014 5:31 am    

Jeffery,

Now I see the family you're in.
Heartfelt condolences to you.

Charlie

Ricky Littleton

Steely-Eyed Missile Man from Cocoa Beach, Florida USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2014 12:07 pm     that '90's Black Emmons Larry is playing

Jeffery:

I bought that guitar (a '93) from Larry in late 1993 from his DeBary store and still have it. I was stationed on Ascension Island at the time and every trip stateside, I made a point to drop by and visit the store. I loved hanging out and chatting with Larry. I love that ol' Emmons and will never part with it not just because it is a great guitar but because of whom I bought it from - Larry Self. He was a great guy. I can always think of Larry when I sit down to play and think of the stories and laughter he shared with everyone in that little shop in DeBary. Here's a picture of that guitar in my house today along with the seat, volume pedal, bars and other such I bought over the years from "The Music Store". I still have a couple caps from there, some guitar cloths and some cables with the logos as well.

I sure miss Larry. I use to kid him in email that that ol' Emmons still won't play "Witches Brew" no matter how many times I play the CD for it!

God Rest his soul.

Ricky...

Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2015 1:10 pm     Larry's Pictrues

Hey Jeff, Thanks for posting all the pictures you posted. That one of me was probably taken well within his first year in business. After seeing it I remembered Larry always kept a Camera in his shop and had pictures of all his customers around. I want to say that I think I've seen that Fender Triple neck in his shop and that as I remember he had some kind of chain on it going from the body to the floor (maybe it pulled a string or two). It's been a long time, I'm an old geezer now and my memory plays tricks on me so I may be mistaken but the memory seems so strong. Anyway love the pics post more if you feel the spirit.

JACK HEERN

MURPHYSBORO,IL. USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 6:38 pm    

Sorry about the loss of Larry. I played serveral of his shows in the Debery area. He really made you feel at home when you were there! He gave me the honor of playing both Steel and bass in his shows.I got to play behind serveral of the Nashville greats that he had on his shows.