The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changing from Emmons to Day
Howard Smith

Callison, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2014 8:23 am    

Does anyone know what is involved in changing a Carter D10 from emmons pedal and knees setup to a Day setup?

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2014 8:56 am    

You just swap your A and C pedals and your two knees that raise and lower your E's. That is assuming that knee lever is on left knee. Everything should just change out.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2014 9:23 am    

It's a piece of cake. I changed over a Carter from Emmons to Day for someone one time. Henry is right. Just make note of where the pull rode mount to the the pull bar (bell crank) and what hole it goes through the changer. It seems I had to use a different set of holes on one lever, but I can't remember if that was the Carter or the Fessenden I changed over. Both of those guitars had the E levers on the left knee. If your E raises and lowers are on the right knee, you don't have to touch them. If you have one of the E string levers on the left knee, you will have to swap it withe other left knee lever. The hardest part is getting those brass pull pins (dog bones) into the pull bar. That's a very frustrating process.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 14 Sep 2014 9:25 am    

Here is a link to the Carter rodding chart.

https://www.steelguitar.com/rodding.html

Howard Smith

Callison, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2014 3:32 pm    

Thanks a lot for the info….

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 14 Sep 2014 4:22 pm    

Forgot to mention. You may have to adjust the travel on some of the pedals/levers. I don't remember having to do that though.

Floyd Havner

Modesto, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2014 11:49 pm    

I acquired a carter D10 used about 8 years ago and changed it from the Emmons to the Day setup. I agree with everyone else, it was easy. However I noticed after witching it over that the A pedal was stiffer than the others, so I swapped rodding positions with the A and C pedals on the 5th string both on the pull bar and the changer raise and it's very smooth now.