The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Air Travel question relating to carry on stuff...
Chuck Snider

West Virginia, USA - Morgantown, WV
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 6:43 pm    

I will soon be flying to Florida to my parents, and would like to take my finger picks, bar, and tuner with me, so that I can do some playing down there using a friends guitar rig.

Anyone know if there might be any problem with TSA security in the way of them not allowing the picks or bar?? I suspect the picks might be ok, but I have a zirc bar which is slightly smaller than 1", and wonder if they will have a problem with that. Don't want to get to the airport and have them confiscate my bar or anything else for that matter. Not worried about the tuner. I might be ok if I check my bag, but I'm hoping I can avoid baggage charges and carry the stuff with me.

Thanks,

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.

Darrell Owens

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 7:22 pm     Chuck

I have flown with my bar and other guitar related items, cords, effects, etc and never even had them ask me to open the case. Once, I had a Peavey Profex 2 in a case and they took a look at it, but - no problem. I think you will be fine.

Have a good trip.

Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 7:59 pm    

Hi, Chuck --

As I fly almost weekly, I can give you my best advice. The only issue you might face would be the bar, which in the x-ray, looks like a bullet. I carry a photo of a bar being used on a steel so I can visually demonstrate its use. I even copied a page from a website that was selling bars so they could see that they are commercially available. I have found the photos always work.

Good luck and safe travels. Boo

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 8:15 pm    

Have flown numerous times between the Twin Cities and Arizona since the late 1980s. Have carried-on everything from a Crate 508 to an A&L Ami to a Washburn Strat-like thing to a Fender Studio Deluxe sans legs.

Never had one problem until after September 2001, and it was with a tone bar. Because I had heard it may be an issue, I decided to take my chances with a cheap Dunlop instead of my beloved old Emmons bar. Alas, the TSA wench just would not allow it. They have the Dunlop, but my Emmons bar remains safe and sound.

It really comes down what side of the bed the TSA agent got out of in the morning. Last trip was to PHX Aug. 25, 2014 (early last week), and I skated right through security with my Studio Deluxe in a gig bag, and it fit in the overhead of the MD-90 with room to spare. Sent the legs, leg bag, and tone bar ahead of time via USPS Priority Mail and it was waiting at my dad's place when I arrived.

My advice would be to pack your bar securely in a USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box, and ship it before you leave. Tracking and insurance are included. Should cost about $6.50.

W. Van Horn

Houston, texas
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 9:47 pm    

I have never had a problem. Expect to be pulled aside and questioned, call it a "slide" for "slide guitar, like in blues music" and you should be fine.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 8:37 am    

Some TSA agents know what is going on and will let things slide.

The issue according to one recent report from a TSA agent is when they start using robots for the "security check" that the human side will not be there anymore. You won't be able to appeal to a robot's better nature.

You are right to worry as you don't want to have to miss your flight or lose your equipment should an agent be rude and crude.

It's not easy having to second guess dealing with air travel. But this is what they want to happen, for people to not travel anymore as weird as that sounds. The travel industry has slumped because of this. And then questions like yours surface as a result.

And then you could be on a no-fly list for unknown reasons with no recourse to get off the list so worrying about picks and bars is not the only thing. They may not let you on the plane.

All you can do/not do is take the gamble as this is how lopsided things have become.

Hate to be an alarmist, but this is the reality of air travel.

Meanwhile owners of private planes and airports that handle them have no such security measures.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 9:04 am    

Do just what Boo said.

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 10:20 am    

Boo, how often do you end up having to show your pictures and explain to TSA?

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 12:49 pm    

My experience is the same as Boo's in terms of the bar- it is not an issue except that sometimes they wonder what it is in which case I'm happy to explain. I try to remember to take my pouch out of my backpack and put it through separately so they don't need to open my backpack to see what it is. I've never had a problem and never experienced anything that I would describe as rudeness over it.

Marvin Born

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 5:57 pm    

I have taken a steel on the plane several times with no problem. But each time TSA inspected the bar three times. Three different people checked it and put it through the x-ray three times. It was easy to explain the bar when it was in the guitar case. Could be a big problem if it is alone.

Just put in the checked bag or mail it.

Marvin