The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Outstanding Sho Bud Ebay
Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 1:59 pm    

Even with it's crossed rods, it's going to bring a top level price...

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Eugene Cole

near Washington Grove, MD, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 2:11 pm    

Deleted...

Last edited by Eugene Cole on 5 Sep 2014 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 2:20 pm    

Here is a question for everybody. When we see a seller asks for more than a guitar is worth (I.E. $1,500 for a Maverick,) should we try to tell the seller what would be a fair price for the guitar? Or should we not say anything, and let somebody who wants to join our ranks pay too much?

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 3:07 pm    

Unless you have access to those who are bidding, telling the seller that the bids are too high is not going to help. People who sell things on eBay are praying for people to pay too much, and people who buy are praying for others to not know the value.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 3:51 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Here is a question for everybody. When we see a seller asks for more than a guitar is worth (I.E. $1,500 for a Maverick,) should we try to tell the seller what would be a fair price for the guitar? Or should we not say anything, and let somebody who wants to join our ranks pay too much?

Mike, the "fair" price according to whom?

The market will tell the seller what the correct price is, not us. Markets are made up of informed and uninformed buyers and sellers. I feel it's their decisions to make and frankly, none of mine or anyone else's business.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Eugene Cole

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 8:49 pm    

Herb Steiner wrote:
Mike Perlowin wrote:

The market will tell the seller what the correct price is, not us. Markets are made up of informed and uninformed buyers and sellers. I feel it's their decisions to make and frankly, none of mine or anyone else's business.

Herb; I contend that the Market will, when averaged, indicate what a nominal "fair price" is.

Markets fluctuate, sometimes rapidly. I recently listed some rare/vintage items (they were audio transformers) on eBay and then re-listed them twice after they did not sell. Then a week after the last listing ended I got an email from someone that wanted 2 of them. I listed a pair of them, and there were 2 people that needed these parts and the pair sold for more than 5 times the price which I had originally listed one of the items.

When demand exists, a price can be increased as long as the supply remains limited.

The average selling price for many items on eBay go up during the Xmas shopping season; and then return to their otherwise normal selling prices in January.

Sometime when someone gets the urge to get something they have always wanted they will be willing to pay well above the average market price if they can gratify that urge sooner instead of later. So as long as they know what the average selling price is it is OK for them to pay a premium to realize a more immediate gratification.

However when a seller makes false claims or omits important things in their listing which a more knowledgeable buyer will recognize; then I think that it is a matter of courtesy to share with a potential buyer what you perceive as a critical omission or an outright deception.

I do from time to time Report eBay sellers that include deceptive and/or incorrect information in their listings. And often those listings are deleted (by whom I can not say).

I guess I think that one of the things which distinguishes a civilization from an uncivilization is when individuals act as an advocate for others that are apparently ignorant about what they are doing or may be being deceived by another individual. Surely many things are not someone else's business; but I am seldom disheartened when a stranger demonstrates an act which is rooted in kind intent. So it is a matter of perspective.

PixEnBar.com
Cole-Luthierie.com
FJ45.com

Sierra U14 8+5 my copedent, 1972 MSA D10 8+4, and nothing in the Bank. 8^)

Eugene Cole

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 8:50 pm    

Herb Steiner wrote:
Mike Perlowin wrote:

Herb; I contend that the Market will, when averaged, indicate what a nominal "fair price" is.

Markets fluctuate, sometimes rapidly. I recently listed some rare/vintage items (they were audio transformers) on eBay and then re-listed them twice after they did not sell. Then a week after the last listing ended I got an email from someone that wanted 2 of them. I listed a pair of them, and there were 2 people that needed these parts and the pair sold for more than 5 times the price which I had originally listed one of the items.

When demand exists, a price can be increased as long as the supply remains limited.

The average selling price for many items on eBay go up during the Xmas shopping season; and then return to their otherwise normal selling prices in January.

Sometime when someone gets the urge to get something they have always wanted they will be willing to pay well above the average market price if they can gratify that urge sooner instead of later. So as long as they know what the average selling price is it is OK for them to pay a premium to realize a more immediate gratification.

However when a seller makes false claims or omits important things in their listing which a more knowledgeable buyer will recognize; then I think that it is a matter of courtesy to share with a potential buyer what you perceive as a critical omission or an outright deception.

I do from time to time Report eBay sellers that include deceptive and/or incorrect information in their listings. And often those listings are deleted (by whom I can not say).

I guess I think that one of the things which distinguishes a civilization from an uncivilization is when individuals act as an advocate for others that are apparently ignorant about what they are doing or may be being deceived by another individual. Surely many things are not someone else's business; but I am seldom disheartened when a stranger demonstrates an act which is rooted in kind intent. So it is a matter of perspective.

PixEnBar.com
Cole-Luthierie.com
FJ45.com

Sierra U14 8+5 my copedent, 1972 MSA D10 8+4, and nothing in the Bank. 8^)

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 10:50 pm     Re: Sho Bud ..

Miller Adams wrote:
Kowabunga Batman ... 27 bids already, over $1100.

Probably will top $2500.

Holy guano Alfred it's as of this writing 30.50 Benjamins with 55 bids:

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 6:53 am    

I know it's really none of my business, but I still say there's something odd going on here...56 bids and over 3 grand for a SuperPro is odd enough, but they also have listed a Sho-Bud pakaseat that currently has 50 bids and is up to $500.
Just sayin'...

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 7:12 am    

Skip Edwards wrote:
I know it's really none of my business, but I still say there's something odd going on here...56 bids and over 3 grand for a SuperPro is odd enough, but they also have listed a Sho-Bud pakaseat that currently has 50 bids and is up to $500.
Just sayin'...

You got that same feeling, huh Skip?

Panic buying?

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 7:47 am    

I don't think anybody's buying anything...

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 7:53 am    

Skip Edwards wrote:
I don't think anybody's buying anything...

Sounds like the proverbial, desperate times...

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 10:01 am    

Is the seller bidding under a different name, or having a friend bid, to put the price up?

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 1:12 pm    

Skip, Thanks for helping me to correct myself. Here's the picture that had me thinking it needed a repair that an LDG I worked on, needed. Notice the bottom raise holes in string 2 and 6. If I had looked a couple of pictures further down, I would have seen it was just a bad reflection, or lack of it perhaps. RP

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 1:52 pm    

I think it's more likely that the guitar is attracting some ignorant bidders.

Somebody is going to pay too much, but at least they will receive a fine instrument that will serve them for many years.

It's not like paying $1,500 for a Maverick.

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 3:31 pm    

I think the real deal is that the high bidder has 0 feedback rating, and the other bidder has only 4 feedbacks. I doubt that any money will actually change hands on this one, it will probably get relisted.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2014 1:48 am    

chris ivey wrote:
the seller doesn't deserve to sell it. he's stupid , steel guitar-wise!

wow ~! Chris, buddy , I hope thats a joke ! Laughing

If we are not involved in a transaction, why are we involved ? People buy and sell stuff everyday, take stuff on trades, maybe called a friend to find out what it is they have. Maybe the seller is helping a friend in need. Who can say...

Why are we setting a sell or buy price for other people ? Laughing

Who are we ?

My take is if we are not involved as a seller and have no interest as a buyer , it's none of our business as to whats happening in any transaction..,here, there , everywhere. If it sells for $300 great, if it sells for $3000 great..two people came to an agreement...

The guy selling has over 9000 transactions...he sells a lot of stuff !

By the way, I'm getting ready to sell a very clean original 66 Super Beatle..how much should I sell it for ? Smile

Oh yeah, I also know where there is a MINT Super Pro for sale for twice the current price of the one discussed here...I think I'll call him and tell him he is 2x too high and see what he says...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 7 Sep 2014 2:01 am; edited 2 times in total

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2014 1:59 am    

Some people want what they want and will pay more just to get it.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2014 2:06 am    

or maybe..

How many Red, Clean, Sho Bud Super Pro's are out there for sale right now...?

How many did Sho Bud make in the last 3 decades ?

Buyer:
I can get that same thing for half the price..

Seller:
Nice, then you should hurry and get it... ,or tell me where it is and I'll go get it !

Mark Draycott

Princeton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2014 5:23 am    

I just noticed this other item the seller has:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sho-Bud-Pack-A-Seat-Fender-Volume-Control-for-Lap-Steel-Slide-Guitar-/121425109608?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c45802268

It seems to have the same bidding pattern, and way too much money.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2014 5:39 am    

Mark Draycott wrote:
I just noticed this other item the seller has:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sho-Bud-Pack-A-Seat-Fender-Volume-Control-for-Lap-Steel-Slide-Guitar-/121425109608?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c45802268

It seems to have the same bidding pattern, and way too much money.

Skip mentioned the seat earlier. Thanks for the link.

Has lots of toys as well.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2014 8:49 am    

bidding pattern, as in AUTO BID increase to next increment ?