The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Live vs Recording
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 10:26 pm    

Why is it when I record it sounds like crap and takes forever, but when I hear a recording with a live band it sounds good.
Is this common with anyone else or is it just me.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 4:40 am    

Hey Bill,

That is easy.. You are trying to hard to be perfect. As a result the feeling goes bye bye and it becomes mechanical sounding. Next time you record just go for it and you might surprise yourself. The way I look at it is if you mess up in the studio the only people that hear you are the engineer and a few others. Mess up playing a live gig; well you know how many people here that goof.

Hope you are well. Rittenbery has been orderd and hopefully the wait won't be too painful.

Regards,

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 4:50 am    

Bill,

How are you monitoring yourself while your recording? If your using headphones its possible to not be able to hear yourself and the track well enough to play in tune.. Personally, I like to record in the control room so I can crank the track up through the speakers, this make it feel more like playing live.. I use two amps when I record this way putting one on an isolation booth with a mic on it and one setting next to me for monitoring the steel. I will usually take a direct out of this amp also.. When I have to use headphones I'll monitor the track in the phones and take one ear slightly off so I can hear my amp… Hopefully this may help you.. Good luck..

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 5:39 am    

Playing "live" in a band and recording are two different "animals". Generally, I tend to be more conservative in the studio and thus can sound not as natural as doing a live performance.

I tend to hear things that others do not hear in recordings, too. One recording I did a long time ago, when it was played back I heard a lick that I thought was "wrong", but the producer, engineer and singer all thought my steel track was great. (The song, "Pin Ball Boogie" was sung by Bill Bone and went #1 in Iowa, North and South Dakota and Nebraska back in the mid 70's).

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 6:18 am    

Here's something I've noticed in that sometimes I think my playing was sub par or that I heard a mistake or 17 and when I listen to the recording, I don't hear what I thought I had.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 11:32 am    

Thanks evryone for the input. I have been recording through a
Vox sound module then thru a mixer then into the recorder. I have been using headphones but I think I will start using the monitors.
Mark I'm glad your getting the Ritt, I know how you wanted one. I need to call you just to visit.
Again thanks, BD
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 7:44 am    

Bill, whats an L2? Just curious!

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 8:14 am    

It just means the 2nd lacquer one built. Gary has the 1st.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 8:20 am    

Got ya, thanks bill!

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 9:44 am    

I absolutely hate studio work. When that red light goes on, I go off. It takes a special kind of player to do their best work in a studio and there are many of them, just not me.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 10:31 am    

Sometimes it's the exact opposite. You have a jam session with everyone tanked up, and come away with memories of the greatest session you've ever played at. Then, the next day, someone comes up with a recording of it, and it sounds awful. Very Happy

I remember a night like that at the Flamingo Club in London in the early 60s. A lot of musicians who subsequently became houshold words used to hang out there. After the show, when the audience had gone home, a lot of the musicians used to stay behind and jam into the wee hours of the morning, getting progressively "happier" as the Jack Daniels was passed around. The club had banned tape recorders because on one occasion a fan had taped one of those sessions and bootlegged it all over the country, to the detriment of those playing.