The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gabby Pahinui Kanikapila:
Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 10:05 am    

The 7th Annual Gabby Pahinui Waimānalo Kanikapila

A few local musical friends and I will be at this event on Saturday, August 9, 2014 at Waimānalo Beach Park. This event was initiated by native Hawaiians, and is a "gathering of Hawaiian Musicians" to recognize Gabby Pahinui & Waimānalo as a center for Hawaiian music & cultural preservation. Alan Akaka will be playing at around 10 am. Other steel guitarists attending are Greg, Paul, and Jeff.

I have made a list of tunes that Gabby composed or played from my musical library. He was quite prolific. I am sure my list is not complete. If anyone can spot any glaring omissions, please let me know!

- 'Ahulili
- 'Ia 'Oe e Ka La
- `Ama `Ama
- Haleakala
- He Nohia `Oe I Ku`u Maka
- He`eia
- Hi'ilawe
- Hilo E
- Ho'okena
- Honesakala
- Hula O Makee
- I Ia Po Me Ke Ao
- Ka Makani Ka'ili Aloha
- Ka'ahumanu
- Kaua`i
- Kaulana Kawaihae
- Keawaiki
- Komo Mai E Hea Ke Kanaka
- Lei Nani
- Lei No Kailulani
- Lei Ohu
- Liholiho
- Lihue
- Maile Iau Li`ili`i
- Moanalua
- Moku Kia Kahi
- Moonlight Lady
- Nani Kauai
- No Ke Ano Ahi Ahi
- Pauoa Liko Ka Lehua
- Pua Kukui
- Pua Mohala
- Royal Hawaiian Hotel
- Sanoe
- Ulili E
- Wai Hu'ihu'i O Ke Aniani
- Waialae
- Waikiki Hula

Mahalo,

Kay

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 1:06 pm    

Look's like you can add Bobby Ingano to the list. Not that he's schedualed but he's got Sat. off and no doubt he'll be called on by plenty groups.

Norman Markowitz

Santa Cruz, California
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 5:58 pm    

Aloha Kay,

Glaring omissions aside, Gabby, as great as he was as a musician, can hardly be considered to be a "composer" of Hawaiian music. To infer that he had a hand in "composing" the songs on your list is unfortunately not correct. Please identify the songs on your list as to ones being composed by Gabby. I'd like to check that out.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2014 11:29 am    

We've got two hurricanes threatening the isles right now, anyone considering making the fest needs to stay aware.

William Rosen

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2014 5:44 pm    

Anyone heard any news as to whether the event will be going on as scheduled?

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2014 12:41 pm    

As of last nite re Cyril @ his usual Wed nite Waikiki gig... it's still on, but virtually everything else will be shut down from late tonite until further notice, including City bus service except for emergency shuttles. But it look's like it'll just be mucky for the most part on Oahu unless we get hit, and bad weather won't stop this show.

Norman Markowitz

Santa Cruz, California
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2014 5:07 am    

Cyril Pahinui posted this on his Facebook page. The Gabby Pahinui Kanikapila has been postponed.......

Aloha all,

Due to the following Governor mandated action, the 7th Annual
Gabby Pahinui Waimanalo Kanikapila will be postponed to August 30, 2014 9am to 6pm. Please look for further information and play list at: www.gabbypahinui.com.

We hope you will all plan to join us then. For our Musicians and vendors please do contact us as soon as possible to confirm your availability for the new date.

Aloha to you and mahalo, Cyril and Chelle

"Effective 4:00pm today, August 7, 2014, all park facilities will be closed until further notice due to the impending Hurricane conditions.Therefore, all permits have been cancelled and facilities will not be open."

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/GPWK-Postponed-due-to-ISELLE---Hunahuna-Mea-Hou---Bits-of-News-from-Cyril-Pahinui.html?soid=1114442347845&aid=KDb0potPq4Y

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2014 5:03 pm    

in O'ahu and I have not seen too many hurricanes yet, or I might have blinked as they passed by.

there is a fine line between being prepared and being over-reactive! the city of waikiki is losing $millions by the hour while tourists languish in their hotel rooms as all services have been suspended. may see a hurricane or two tomorrow if there is still an abundance around but right now it is bright and sunny and 84 degrees. the iocal surfers are having a ball. gabby's kanikapila has been postponed to the end of the month. : (

steel guitar is alive and kicking. music survives politics ...... Alan Akaka and his show are as good as ever.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2014 12:57 pm    

The cancellations of most all operations across the islands was in mere consideration of workers and their families at a time of high concern and possible dangers. This State is woefully unprepared for Mother Nature and will pay dearly one day, but this was nothing, we dodged another bullet and have the luxury of griping about our inconveniences. I'm betting there's music happening in 'nalo right now.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 3:04 pm    

Despite the sadly missed talents of both(!) Jeff and Bobby at yesterday's delayed event in beautiful Waimanalo on a perfect Hawaiian day and evening, the steel guitar got plenty of stage time thanx not only to the tireless work of Greg Sardinha who played with half of the day's lineup and busted out his current Fender console, Rick B6, and a Weissenborn-ish acoustic, but we also got the already awesome overall talents of 12 year old Mail'e Lyman of The Keawe Ohana on her Fender Champion, Eddie Palama on Fender console, Dwight Takamoto/frypan, Byrd alumnus Buck Giles/wooden pan, a newer name on steel with Troy Millard (B6) who works the cruise ships with Katamaduli and sounded fine, and even a super rare moment for Oahuians to enjoy Sonny Lim on steel using Greg's Wisey at the grand finale. Alan Akaka was advertised as scheduled but didn't show, regardless, it was another special day honoring Gabby and his crew of icons past and typically there were many unforgettable moments. This free yearly event continues to prove the really good stuff still exists no matter how many greats we've lost or how rarely it's heard, and because of Cyril Pahinui's love and respect for steel the steel guitar wasn't left out, just the opposite.

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 3:19 pm    

Ron Whitfield wrote:
Alan Akaka was advertised as scheduled but didn't show, regardless, it was another special day honoring Gabby and his crew of icons past and typically there were many unforgettable moments.

Ron - Alan Akaka and the Islanders (Gary Aiko and Kaipo Ah Sing) had a date to play at the International Steel Guitar Convention in St. Louis, so Alan couldn't play Gabbyfest. If it had kept to it's original schedule, Alan would have been there. He's been posting lots of photos on Facebook.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 4:00 pm    

If Alan, Bobby, and Jeff would have made it yesterday steel guitar would have ruled the day, Jack, like it always should! It nearly did as it was. And typically, it was another small crowd, but appreciative. And we even got half a day of Kimo Kahoano as Hawaii's premier MC, the guy is priceless. What a glorious day!