The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Home Built PSG in Australia
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2012 8:32 am    

Yes, it's amazing that he built this PSG without ever seeing one, except in pictures. He sent me a few more pics today, and I'll post them later today when I get some time.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2012 12:06 pm    

Steve French

Roseville CA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2012 12:30 pm    

That is a very impressive piece of machinery. It never fails to amaze me, what some people on this forum can do -- both in terms of playing and building.

Steve

Alex Robson

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2012 8:08 pm    

Allen
About 4 years ago I purchased Mr R J Gluck CD on building a pedal steel guitar The CD did not switch any lights on for at that time I was also in trouble playing his interactive CD seemed to bugger up on me What inspired me greatly was these words from his notes
HOPEFULLY IT WILL EXCITE THE IMAGINATION TO CREATE A NEW AND EVEN BETTER DESIGN
Months passed as my research widened through Bob's Steel Guitar Forum and Learning from all you great players Really it was you that inspired me to built this guitar
Ken Mark picked up the guitar and it weighs 32Kgs
Take care
Alex

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2012 9:50 pm    

70 pounds in old money. That is a little weighty but I guess you won't be taking it out on gigs every night Alex, so it is of no consequence. With all of that metal work underneath, 70 pounds is unsurprising. On the upside, I bet there is very little body flex.

If other pedal steel builders started off with a clean slate, I wonder what novel innovations would be dreamed up.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2012 9:55 pm    

Alex Robson wrote:
Allen
About 4 years ago I purchased Mr R J Gluck CD on building a pedal steel guitar The CD did not switch any lights on for at that time I was also in trouble playing his interactive CD seemed to bugger up on me What inspired me greatly was these words from his notes
HOPEFULLY IT WILL EXCITE THE IMAGINATION TO CREATE A NEW AND EVEN BETTER DESIGN

This must be the ONLY good thing to ever come out of that rubbish Gluck CD-ROM. What a waste of money that was...

On a more serious note, how much would you charge to build another one just like it?

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2012 10:02 pm    

Alex
I don't know if you are a member of this site, but the Steel Guitar Builder web site is another great site like this one for exchanging info and ideas with other like minded folks. http://steelguitarbuilder.com/forum/ Surprised
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2012 4:44 am    

Good heavens Alex. What have you done!?!? I'm sure we'd all love to hear your monster roar.

Will Cowell

Cambridgeshire, UK
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2012 5:32 am    

And how! What an inspiration. If this thing sounds one half as good as it looks.... Laughing
Roland Cube 80XL, Peterson Strobo+HD,
EarthQuaker Despatch Master for reverb / delay

Jos Roderkerken

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2012 10:24 am    

ill just quote one of my favorite quotes...

Shut up and take my money!!!!

Man that thing is awesome! isn't there a psg player somewhere near you that can give this baby a testrun and post it on youtube..?

rriigghhtt

Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2012 12:41 pm    

So the plexiglass is for mounting speedometer,tachometer,runnin' lights,decals of naked ladies?

Alex Robson

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2012 10:52 pm    

To built another like this one I don't even know how much this one cost I did'nt keep records Stainless steel screws, stainless ball bearings, Aircraft grade Aluminium losts of labor No I would design another using the best features of this one and add a few more and So it becomes an endless project But thank you anyway
I have been a silent member the builders forum for about 2 years I never posted on the forum because I thought they would not be interested in my over the top ideas
The Polycarbonate sheet on the guitar front is for something like you said The front of a PSG is pretty nothing so it needs an injection of something When Building mine 99% of the people around me never heard of a PSG They look at you and think this guy has lost the plot (that part they got right) Take care
Alex

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2012 4:03 am    

[quote="Alex Robson"]............ I have been a silent member the builders forum for about 2 years I never posted on the forum because I thought they would not be interested in my over the top ideas.........

Alex
To the contrary, the builders on that site would love to exchange info and ideas with you.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2012 6:48 pm    

More pics:

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2012 11:45 pm    

2 killer Westies keeping guard!! Fantastic

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2012 10:17 am    

Ken Byng wrote:
Alex Robson wrote:
............ I have been a silent member of the builders forum for about 2 years I never posted on the forum because I thought they would not be interested in my over the top ideas......... .

Alex
To the contrary, the builders on that site would love to exchange info and ideas with you.

I entirely agree with Ken. This sort of discussion is way more interesting than comparing brands of strings, etc. Cool

Alex Robson

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2012 1:39 am    

Thank you Allen Thank you Ken and I also must thank Doug for posting the last Photo's on the Forum As you can see the tilting mechanism 2 position moves the Pedal Bar forward tilts the guitar about 8 degrees or about 3/4" slant To me it feels like your in the guitar not playing away from it(I think this boy needs help) Because of the Pedal Bar changing its height your Volume Pedal Mounting Bracket is made with compound angles and also has a swivel base Thank you guys very much for your kind remarks it has been an amazing experience for me
Take care
Alex Robson

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 9:09 am    

It's been a couple of years so I thought I'd bump this one up again...

Alex Robson

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 9:23 pm    

Hi
Sorry for my late reply
I would like to thank Doug Beaumier for his time and effort in posting My Steel Guitar again and many thanks to the steel guitar forum
Because of my ill health over the past 18 months the Pedal Steel Guitar is just an ornament or a decoration in the corner of our lounge room Now without boring you My latest medical report is great (may be a few years in the old bugger yet) If anyone wants to know anything more about the guitar just ask
Thank you all for your interest
Have a great day
Alex Robson

Will Cowell

Cambridgeshire, UK
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 7:34 am    

Alex, we have to hear this baby. Can't you get someone to put her through her paces for us?
Roland Cube 80XL, Peterson Strobo+HD,
EarthQuaker Despatch Master for reverb / delay

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 1:39 pm    

Alex, your guitar is truly amazing. My hat is off to you for completing such a marvel. It is remarkable that you built this guitar without previously seeing/touching a pedal steel. Have you since personally seen any other PSGs?

As others have said, I would love to hear your guitar's sound. Any way you can record it? I bet someone could help convert from any recorded medium into a share-able format... audio file, reel-to-reel tape, cassette, whatever.

Doug, thanks so much for bumping this thread. I joined the forum recently, so it's my good fortune to see Alex's guitar.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 5:09 pm    

Alex,
Looking at your guitar is very upsetting to me...upsetting due to the fact that I cannot see it, and touch it in person. Being a retired machinist, I would love to be able to see, and maybe play it. You have some super innovated ideas in this project. A youtube video of it being played would be super. You are to be commended for the design, and build of your guitar. Chas Smith needs to see this.

Bill

Alex Robson

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 2:28 am    

Hi Will, Dan and Bill thank you four kind words I'm just overwhelmed by your interest No I still haven't seen a Pedal Steel Guitar to touch But I will eventually
My eldest son is a very good guitarist he teaches all styles plus Ukulele, Banjo and Mandolin I'll arrange with Mark to get one of Musician friends to play the Pedal Steel.
This may take a few weeks so bare with me but it
will happen
Thank you all again for your interest
Take care
Alex Robson

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2014 11:43 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Quote:
...the body is turned upside down on the frame.

You're right! I didn't notice that. It looks like the body can be rotated, flipped over within the frame. Very handy for working on the underside!

Hmmm ! Emmons should of thought of that ? Embarassed

Mark Nix

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2014 7:57 pm    

Bill Moran wrote:
Doug Beaumier wrote:
Quote:
...the body is turned upside down on the frame.

You're right! I didn't notice that. It looks like the body can be rotated, flipped over within the frame. Very handy for working on the underside!

Hmmm ! Emmons should of thought of that ? Embarassed

Speaking of Emmons(company, not the person), their business isn't doing so hot with credibility as of late, according to the "update on Emmons" thread. Out with the old and in with the new! How's about that redesigning keeping all the best features and improving what's needed? Sounds like there's room in the game for another contender. And that fine instrument there, looks to be a contender!

A little off subject but all the shiny metal made me wonder if anyone had ever built an all metal steel guitar?