The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Facebook Crosses The Line With New Facebook Messenger App.
Peter den Hartogh

Cape Town, South Africa
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2014 10:58 pm    

http://thebull.cbslocal.com/2014/08/07/facebook-crosses-the-line-with-new-facebook-messenger-app/

Pass this along to your friends and at least try to let them know what theyÒ€ℒre getting into.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2014 7:13 am    

After reading that alarmist article, have your friends read the full story and explanation at Snopes, at: http://www.snopes.com/computer/facebook/messenger.asp
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Peter den Hartogh

Cape Town, South Africa
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2014 10:53 am    

Thank you so much for the link, Wiz.
Let the readers be the judge.

http://accuracyinpolitics.blogspot.com/2013/05/snopes-got-snoped.html

Last edited by Peter den Hartogh on 28 Aug 2014 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2014 6:39 am    

"Friends don't let friends use Facebook..."

Peter den Hartogh

Cape Town, South Africa
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2014 10:27 pm    

Snopes got Snoped:

http://accuracyinpolitics.blogspot.com/2013/05/snopes-got-snoped.html
Fender Resonator ; Epiphone Coronet 1937; Rickenbacher Ace; Rickenbacher NS;
Dynalap 8string; Harbor Lights 8string; Aiersi Tri-Cone; Fender Stringmaster

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2014 10:30 pm    

Could someone please post what this is about, instead of just posting links? There is no actual information in this topic. Mad

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 7:29 am    

b0b wrote:
Could someone please post what this is about, instead of just posting links? There is no actual information in this topic. :x

You want the facts? Here are the facts.

On December 1, 2013, The Huffington Post's Sam Fiorella wrote an article condemning the Facebook Messenger App for Android due to a misunderstanding about the range of permissions it requested when he went to install it. The title of his article is: The Insidiousness of Facebook Messenger's Android Mobile App Permissions.

The article outlined every permission requested by the app and went on to define how each permission could be used or misused. He decried the fact that some permissions were requested up front, before a user asked for those functions to be activated. His misconception was that by requesting such permissions as turning on the camera and microphone, that the Facebook app was spying on its users.

The article concludes by suggesting that anybody with the Facebook app for Android should delete it and those without it should avoid installing it.

Then, on August 11, 2014, Sam posted an update to the top of the article, stating the following.
Quote:

Corrections/Updates (4:45pm EST 8/11/2014): A previous version of this post contained inaccurate and outdated information about Facebook's Messenger app for Android devices (Facebook has provided its own response to concerns about the app here). The post incorrectly equated the app's Terms of Service to its Android-specific permissions language, and the permissions language it originally quoted has since been updated by Google. These changes are now reflected in the post.

Today, Sophos Security Blog posted a reply from Facebook, titled: Facebook wants you to know that Messenger is not spying on you. In it, they explain how the misconceptions occurred and offer Facebook's rebuttal, which is summarized as follows.
Quote:

In a brief article titled "Get the Facts About Messenger," Facebook's Peter Martinazzi explains that Messenger won't "turn on your camera or microphone when you aren't using the app."

The Sophos article further explains that response.
Quote:

Martinazzi explains that Messenger needs permission to access the camera and microphone for the app to make voice and video calls.

That seems like a simple, and logical, explanation.

So why are so many people convinced that Messenger is a Trojan horse?

Partly, it's because Android users need to approve a lengthy list of permissions in Google Play before downloading the app - and Google's explanations of those permissions leave a lot to the imagination.

To summarize, Google Play Store sets the requirements for what permissions each app must list in its installation terms of service. They force users to accept all or nothing, up front. It doesn't explain to users how or when such permissions might be required. This often causes people to think the worst. If an app may someday need to use your camera, to fulfill a request to do something you initiate, then it must state that in the terms of installation.

Facebook Messenger App is no more insidious than the flashlight app I use a few times a year when the lights go out.

I hope this helps clear up the cornfusion!
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 7:59 am    

Thank you, Wiz! As a programmer, I'm aware that an app can't use a system's services if the app isn't running. That's CS 101. I also understand why people can become paranoid when they see the full list of Android system services that an app can use. FWIW, I use use the Android Facebook app but not Facebook Messenger (I have a tablet, not a phone).

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 11:24 am    

I have an Android phone and never install an app that wants to use my location or the camera and mic. I weigh how important is that app to me, and if I can live without it.