The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shobud update
Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 5:24 am    

Well some of my parts were shipped around the US to get to me thanks to the wonderful USPS. So I thought I would do a little work while I wait!! It's was really bothering me that I was putting 2 new knees on and the other stuff under the guitar looked old. So I had to make the old look new. Here it is!!

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 7:30 am    

Here's a before pic!!

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 8:31 am    

looks good!
why is the left front leg marked RF?

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 8:40 am    

That is an excellent question!! It was that way when I got it so who knows!!! Question

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 9:05 am    

RF means right front--that is, when the guitar is upside down in the case. Seems like that's "no brainer" enough to not need to mark up a guitar. Try some "Orange Hand Cleaner" from the auto parts store, and you might get lucky and lift that off of there, Jason. I like to mark the end of one of the legs for quick orientation--that's about all you ever need. Then there are the dudes that have to mark their fretboard with a label maker so they can find the 3rd fret and so on. Rolling Eyes Or worse yet, paint the notes on their fretboards.

Yep, Postal has dropped the ball on that second package big time. Hopefully they will get it dialed in and delivered. Rolling Eyes

And yes, you got those barrels spockel'en!!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 9:16 am    

I always put my legs in the pouch the same way, so labelling isn't necessary
LF, RF, pedal rods, LR, RR.
And those look good!

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 9:23 am    

I assume the guitar leg is labeled, too? Or what would be the point of labeling the socket?

I notice there are markings |, ||, and ||| on the front apron as well. In case you forget if you play Emmons or Day.

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 10:23 am    

The I II III marks on the front are also notched into the pedal rods so when you set up you know which rod goes where. I Like that. I think they just took a hacksaw blade and cut them in. but it looks good and works well.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 5:07 pm    

James Morehead wrote:
...Then there are the dudes that have to mark their fretboard with a label maker so they can find the 3rd fret and so on. Rolling Eyes Or worse yet, paint the notes on their fretboards...

The first used Sho-Bud I bought was just like that. Someone had written notes all over it with a magic marker. Still, it brought the resale price right down so that I could afford to buy it, and it gave me the incentive the sand down and refinish the body, so all's well that ends well. Cool Very Happy

And yes, if someone is so unsure as to how to set up his PSG that has to label the legs he would be better to not do so. Screwing them into the wrong locations, or putting the pedals on the wrong legs will become immediately apparent to him once he turns the instrument over, and wasting time doing that a few times will soon teach him the error of his ways. Laughing Laughing Laughing

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 6:17 pm    

If some one NEEDS to use "props" to learn the "lay-out", it's wise to make those props reversible. Why "graffiti" your own guitar? As Alan says, it can effect the guitar's value negatively.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 6:21 pm    

My GFI has a red dot on the left front (standing) leg at the top, and on the bottom of the guitar frame. I also have sharpie dots of different colors on the bottom of my pedals and pedal rods.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 5:16 am    

I have seen that so many times. I would never paint or write on my instrument. That would be like getting a new house, and writing on the wall over the light switches with a sharpie so you know which lights they turn on!!! Laughing

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 8:54 am    

If someone needs to leave notes for themselves on an instrument they should use a bit of masking tape, the painters' sort that comes off easily without leaving a trace.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 9:06 am    

Jason Putnam wrote:
The I II III marks on the front are also notched into the pedal rods so when you set up you know which rod goes where. I Like that. I think they just took a hacksaw blade and cut them in. but it looks good and works well.

It's a good rod marking system. The notches are easy to see (or, for that matter, feel) in low-light conditions.

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 10:01 am    

Well my tracking information says delivered!! Cant wait to get home from work and figure all this out! Smile