Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 7:28 am    

Has anyone set up their E9 guitar like this:

10 D
9 B
8 E
7 F#
6 G# etc

The only change is putting the 9th string D string in the 10th string position. (and the B string in the 10th string position) This would allow me to have a B6 across strings 9-4 when I lower my E's. Wouldn't have to play around the D string this way. Maybe its a quasi-universal set-up. I was wondering if anyone has heard of anyone playing like this?

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 7:51 am    

I like your idea!
I have heard of guys moving string-10-B to string-9, and adding G# to string-10 (and either raising string-9-B-to-D, or lowering string-8-E-to-D), but I don't think I have heard this idea before.
fwiw, When I play B6th on an E9 S10, I lower the E's, and use string-10-B as the root of the open 6th chord.
When I go to the 4-chord, I release the E's, and use string-9-D as the root note.
I would take it one step further and move the D# to the string-1 position, then have G#-F#-E-B on strings 2-5, and 6-9.
You can still play all your E9th stuff, and your string order is also optimized for B6th.
This is similar to a Bb6th string order, which I personally prefer for E9/B6 Uni or S10.

Last edited by Pete Burak on 22 Aug 2014 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 7:55 am    

It's been discussed before, a little bit, anyways.

For uni12 players that don't use the low B string, it's a great fit, I almost went that direction, but I use the low B just enuf to make it a tossup, and have workarounds for the missing D.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 7:56 am    

Reserved for future use. Laughing

Last edited by Tom Gorr on 22 Aug 2014 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Paul Hutzler

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 8:22 am    

That's cool, Pete. With E's dropped it'd look like:
10 D
9 B
8 D#
7 F#
6 G#
5 B
4 D#
3 F#
2 G#
1 D#

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 8:56 am    

You could also lower string-1-D# to C# (by some method) when playing B6th (to give you what the C6th guys call "D on top").

On some of my Uni's I just raise string-5 to C# with the A-pedal, and manually tune the D# to match the C# when I need that note there.
When I tune it back to D#, I use string-4 lowered to D# for a reference note.

Some guys lower D#-to-C# on the same lever that lowers E's, but that makes the lever kinda longer and stiffer, and while it helps with some licks/scales, it hurts others.

I have a separate lever lock on my Sierra Uni that only lowers string-1-D#-to-C# (no lever attached to it). I can also lock the E's to Eb.

Funn Stuff!
Pete