The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Above & Beyond, my first pedal steel break
Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 8:33 am    

Hi, I learn my first pedal break, I play lap steel for about 5 years but pedal steel for just a couple of weeks and I tried to learn a Ralph Mooney solo. I plan to learn all the Best Of Buck Owens album.

I would like to have you comment, good and bad!

http://youtu.be/hpGYanDY5uc

Larry Johnson

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 8:56 am     Above and Beyond My first pedal steel break

Hi Jean, You did a good job,keep up the good work. You have only been playing pedal steel a couple of weeks? Wow! Larry J.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 9:16 am     Re: Above and Beyond My first pedal steel break

Larry Johnson wrote:
Hi Jean, You did a good job,keep up the good work. You have only been playing pedal steel a couple of weeks? Wow! Larry J.

To be honest I played some pedal steel, I bought a Fender 1000 and even got a U12 last winter but never really get into it so I sold the MSA U12 and buy a Clinesmith non pedal. I still really love playing my Clinesmith but I got some interesting gigs for pedal steel so I setup the Fender with top 8 E9 and the other neck to my non pedal C13.

I think that the secret for me to make progress is to focus on one player for a time to develop my ear for pedal and I think Ralph is a good start, after I want to learn Tom Brumley style. I have to take my time and focus on one licks at a time, its easy to get lost on the pedal steel world!

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 10:01 am    

I tried the Foolin Around intro this morning.

http://youtu.be/NiFECZNnNw8

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 11:21 am     Re: First pedal break

Pretty good! i'd get a blue Herco thumb pick, they are smaller and for me work better.... there is a fellow named Jean Guy Grenier that is near Montreal, that is one great picker!! maybe he could work with you......... I realize Quebec is a big place

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 12:29 pm     Re: First pedal break

Jim Park wrote:
Pretty good! i'd get a blue Herco thumb pick, they are smaller and for me work better.... there is a fellow named Jean Guy Grenier that is near Montreal, that is one great picker!! maybe he could work with you......... I realize Quebec is a big place

I have to try these blue pick but Im really used to the Dunlop Zookie, they sound great on straight steel, but I have to work the thumb more on pedal so I will try one.

Yes Jean Guy Grenier is a great player! But Montreal is 5h from where I live and I take lesson with John Ely on Skype. I have to meet Jean Guy one day!

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 2:08 pm     RE:First Pedal break

It sounds like you are set up well !! John Is a great player also........

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 7:11 pm    

Nice tone, well done.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 8:23 pm     Re: RE:First Pedal break

Jim Park wrote:
It sounds like you are set up well !! John Is a great player also........

Yes John is a great guy and a living legend on steel!

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 8:26 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
Nice tone, well done.

Thanks a lot Lane! Its really a great honer from you! I love the tone I got from the Fender steel to my custom made Skip Simmons amp.

Maybe I will look later for a modern setting for some gigs (maybe a Zum Encore and a Roland Cube) but for now Im happy with my vintage gear!

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 11:22 pm    

Sounding good! Right hand looks great.

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 4:03 am     Re: first pedal break

I met John once back in the early 90's when he was with Asleep at the Wheel, I worked in Reno, Nv at the time, and I would occasionally go into a store called Bizzare Guitar after work. I went in there this one day and low and behold there is a sunburst Fender 400 sitting in the show room. I walked up to it and there was a fellow looking at it. we started chatting about it and me being a noob player I asked him if he played, he said the did, I asked him if he lived in Reno , he said no, I asked him how he came to be in Reno, and he said he was with a band, I asked where he was playing and it was the largest venue in town.......of course I asked what band...LOL I gave him a ride to his hotel and I got to see AATW that night and go backstage and see his setup !! a very fond memory........ his solo on Way down Texas Way has always been one of my fav's

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 5:56 am    

Josh Yenne wrote:
Sounding good! Right hand looks great.

Im happy you guys like the tone, I really love my Skip Simmons's rebuild Stromberg-Carlson model 32 PA amp. I use a Lil Izzy and George Ls cable to keep the high trough the amp and I use a Boss Fender 63 reverb pedal.

Its record with the internal mic of my Macbook so you cant ear the real tone and we ear to much of the pedal noise. Next video I will mic the amp the get the real amp tone.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2014 6:39 am    

Jean, like others have said, good tone!
I can't help notice that right hand bouncing up and down, though.
That will slow you down when you try to speed pick, so I'd work on at least keeping the palm of your hand glued to those strings.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2014 7:37 am    

What Tony said is right, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Learning any skill always starts with exaggerated movement, and subtlety comes later, when you learn economy of motion.
Tip: keep the hand down, only lifting to allow the string to ring, instead of keeping it in the air and dropping to block.

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2014 4:52 pm    

Super picking Jean, Ralph would be proud. T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2014 5:02 pm    

Tony Palmer wrote:

I can't help notice that right hand bouncing up and down, though.
That will slow you down when you try to speed pick, so I'd work on at least keeping the palm of your hand glued to those strings.

Thanks, I will try to work on this, the bouncing thing is helping me to have a swing feel when I play western-swing and hawaiian, yes its true I exaggerate it and should make it more economical but speed is not an important thing for me, I don't like too fast line but its not a reason to have an inefficient technique!

Also I don't pick block at all, only palm block, that seems more important with straight steel because you move the bar a lot, pedal steel seems to be a little different, I will have to learn a different approach, like Dobro, its very different also.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2014 9:23 am    

yea i think the bounce is spectacular... i teach a lot of people both guitar and pedal steel and when you are getting something down over exaggerating the movement is a great way to get the feel... then we "widdle" it down over time...

I would never use the word keeping anything "glued" to anything as I feel like pivoting on a point or locking any part of your hand down in the same spot is always a bad idea (I often compare it to a short stop with locked knees) but thats my opinion... I think your technique looks very good... and you will achieve a certain tone with that much bounce that may be what you are looking for...

yes bouncing that much will hurt your speed if you are looking for speed and quick vertical runs in the future but its much better to be able to block well, in any way, when you haven't been playing long. The speed technique can come later.

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2014 5:43 pm    

Video your playing again in 2 weeks and it will probably not look very much like this one.Smile
JE:-)>
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2014 6:51 pm    

Jim Eaton wrote:
Video your playing again in 2 weeks and it will probably not look very much like this one.Smile
JE:-)>

I worked on the right hand and already have a difference, I will make a video in 2 weeks and will see if my technique have improved!