The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bill Anderson's Steel Player
John Bumbarger

Houtzdale, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2014 3:13 am    

Does anyone know who is playing steel for Bill Anderson. He will be performing locally in three weeks

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2014 6:43 am    

He is traveling with a three piece band. Guitar, bass and drums. His agent called me to book him and I wouldn't because he had no steel.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2014 11:17 am    

Pat Severs was working with him at one time
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2014 7:37 am    

his best era for me was when mike johnson was his bandleader.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2014 3:06 pm    

At one time, a long time ago, Bob Lucier of Canada played steel for Bill

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2014 6:35 pm    

My favorite years were the Sonny Garrish years.

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2014 6:35 am    

way to go henry Matthews......
now that's country.
all roads lead to the oaklawn opry
and there's always a steel guitar on stage....

country jack....

Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2014 11:38 am    

Henry, That is good If he does away with the other players he can just sing by himself.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2014 2:21 pm    

Without a band, Bill won't have to whisper so loud!!

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2014 8:15 pm     Bill Anderson's steel player

Played with Classic Country on a show where Bill was top billed about 2003. Donna Hammitt was steelin for him then. Great steel and beauty in one package.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 3:18 pm    

My apologies for highjacking the thread but noticed the mention of Donna Hammitt. If at all possible, locate the recordings by a group named, 'Wild Rose'. It was an all female group and featured Donna on steel and Wanda Vick on fiddle, great music by a talented (as well as attractive) bunch of ladies.

Jeff Campbell

Knoxville Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 9:32 pm     Bill Anderson's Steel Player

My favorite years was when Mike played steel. The band "Wild Rose" played a little bit for Porter Wagnor...their bass player plays at the Nashville Palace with Larry Hamilton, I think her name is Becky Hinson?

Tommy Minniear

Logansport, Indiana
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2014 8:18 am    

I read this thread and decided to contact Bill and find out the facts. Here is his reply and I am posting it with his permission:

Hi Tommy:

Thanks for your nice e-mail and your interest in why I am not currently carrying a steel guitar player on the road with me.

First, rest assured that I still have a steel player in my band. He is Pat Severs, and he has been with me for several years now. He works the Opry with me, and dates that are close to Nashville….such as Franklin, Tennessee, where we are appearing tonight. He is also the steel player for all of our Country’s Family Reunion Road Shows. So, to say that I am no longer carrying a steel player is not exactly the whole truth.

As much as I would like to still be able to take a five or six-piece band on all my tour dates, the economics of the situation today have made it virtually impossible. The rates for leasing a tour bus and driver have skyrocketed in recent years. Hotel rates have doubled and tripled, not to mention fuel prices. I find that I can fly to most of my dates with a three-piece band and make things work both financially and musically. I just have to choose my musicians and the venues we play carefully.

Currently I carry a bass, drums, and keyboards. The bass player and the keyboard player both sing background harmonies, and the keyboard player is able to recreate banjo sounds, dobro, acoustical guitar, strings, and even a limited amount of steel effects through the use of a tied-in computer. The bass player also sings lead vocals, and can double on both piano and drums. Both the keyboard player and bass player participate in some of our short comedy routines, and allow us to carry what I believe to be a very entertaining singer/songwriter road show.

I miss the steel….especially in view of the fact that I’ve had some of the best ones in history in my group over the years….Weldon Myrick, Sonny Garrish, and Mike Johnson among them. Time marches on, though, and I’m just glad I can continue to perform and entertain people. I’d be lost if I weren’t able to do that.

Again, thanks for your interest, and all best wishes.

Bill Anderson

Jeff Campbell

Knoxville Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2014 4:02 pm     Bill Andersons steel player

Did he say in his email he was using bass, drums, and a keyboard to simulate steel and etc...? they are no more than a karoake machine. Don't take me wrong, I like Bill and like some of his music, but not enough to just hear him without a band.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 11:23 am    

I wouldn't want to go see him if all he had was Bass Drums and Keyboards. How utterly dismal.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 12:12 pm    

Unfortunately, the public has been so conditioned to music being all about the singer that I think Bill will go over just as well with his three piece setup as if he had Weldon, Sonny, or Mike with him. Maybe country will go the route that many gospel groups have taken and sing to karaoke tracks. There's a few of us that won't be interested, but not enough to make any difference. One thing for certain, Bill is one of the best songwriters the music business has ever known. He'll always be my hero for that.

RC

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 1:38 pm    

Well said Rick. Music is all about the singer these days and the average Joe or Jane doesn't even know what pieces are in the band and could care less. Most of the shows on TV never even list the band members. I feel like you do Dick and would never go see Bill with just a 3 piece band and I can understand his views on carrying a five piece band. I feel this way because I am a musician as you are Dick and the rest of us on the forum. I wouldn't go see Gene Watson or Connie Smith either if they had no steel. I do think the steel would fit better with Bill than a keyboard, trying to mimic sounds of steel, guitar and other instruments. Bill is one of the best songwriters that's ever been in the industry and I admire him for that.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 3:08 pm    

Some years ago, my 5, sometimes 6, piece band decided to listen to the keyboard player. They put the drums and bass on computer, and let me and the drummer go. The bass player was a frustrated guitarist, and he took over the lead chores. He sucked! Within three weeks they were calling me, trying to get me back. After 20 years of 5 to 7 nights playing in clubs, I just decided to retire. That band didn't last long!

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 3:37 pm    

You'all need to give Bill a break! He explained how bad the economy was. Which was affecting the amount of musicians he could travel with. Of course he's going to surround himself with the best top flight Multi-Instrumentalists. If the lead player happens to be a pianist, so what. Jeesh T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Last edited by Lee Dassow on 20 Aug 2014 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chris Robbins

Biggsville Illinois
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 4:00 pm    

Mel Tillis still makes it work.Seen him last year a long way from Nashville with a full band including twin fiddles and Terry Bethel on steel.

Jeff Campbell

Knoxville Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 5:34 pm     No steel player

I agree Bill is a great song writer and had some great steel players, it just isn't my cup of tea using pre-canned instruments on live shows. I remember years ago listening to Johnny Paycheck on the silver eagle radio show, it sounded like a 6 piece band then after a few songs he introduced the band and only had bass, drums, steel and him on guitar...it was really a full sounding gig! I'm just seeing country go more and more away everyday and it frustrates me what was once something really great going away... JC

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 5:27 am    

There was a time (40+ yrs ago) when singers would compete to have the best road band. During that span, Anderson and Tubb were always ranked with the top 2 bands. Hank Thompson, Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, to name a few more. The bands would occasionally put out an LP to feature the band with vocals and instrumentals without the headline singer. I still have a few of those LP's. Great stuff! Unheard of with today's top vocalists.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.