The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changing Strings
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2014 8:02 pm    

I have never had to change a whole set of strings before and I am about to do so within the next few days.
I am curious if I should loosen the nylons a bit before installing a new set, so that there is adequate play to tune up and down, or should I just leave them where they were when I took the original strings off?
What do you do?
Any other tips you may have to make changing all the strings a bit easier or less frustrating?
Thanks a bunch!

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2014 8:14 pm    

Jeff just take the whole lot off, wipe the guitar down, lube the changer and nut rollers and then install the new set of strings !
Only then is it time to adjust anything that needs adjusting :-}
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2014 9:01 pm    

gotcha! I always just wondered how the nylons keep enough room to tune up. I mustn't understand the mechanics enough.
I'm sure somebody understands what I'm talking about.
Thanks for the help Paddy!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 2:32 am    

The nylon tuners have nothing to do with changing strings. Its just the Tuning Keys on top, just like a regular guitar.

The nylon tuners come into play for tuning the raises and lowers.

Do what Paddy says about cleaning and lubing after you take the strings off, then install new strings and tune with the tuning keys. After the new strings "settle down" then tune any raise and lower that needs adjusting. If you put the same gauge strings on, there should only be minor adjustments needed with the nylon tuners.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 3:50 am    

What Jack said.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 4:39 am    

One more suggestion if I may: rotate each nut roller 1/4 to 1/2 turn before restringing. This may prevent a groove from forming in the nut roller resulting from the string riding in the same location for extended periods.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 4:53 am    

Jeff, there are stop bars that hold the finger in the middle position when no pedals or levers pull on it.
Then the pedals/levers rotate the cross-shaft, making the bellcrank pull the rod a set amount.
The nylon tuning nut controls how much of that pull gets used to move (for example) the B to a C#. If the pedal moves the rod more than needed, you back out the nylon nut, so that the rod takes up a bit more slack before it starts pulling the finger. If it doesn't pull enough, you tighten the nylon nut so it starts pulling sooner (one of the reasons for a bit of slack in pedals and knees: if you need more throw for a string, you take it out of the slack)
So the pedals, cross-shafts, pull rods and nylon nuts don't do a dang thing to a string at rest (unless it's overtuned)

Jeremy Marcum

Northport, Alabama... USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 6:00 am    

Jeff, The carter steel guitars website has lots of great information on it.
Click on the maintain tab at the top of page it will tell you everything that you need to know.

https://www.steelguitar.com

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 8:24 am    

thanks for clarifying this for me.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 4:31 pm    

Paddy Long wrote:
Jeff, just take the whole lot off, wipe the guitar down, lube the changer and nut rollers and then install the new set of strings...

...and don't even think of lubing with WD40. Winking

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 5:38 pm    

Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected texteel. just a small ammount work's well. does Anybody know what gauge strings mullen ships with a sd10 guitar? id like to use the same.
thanks

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 8:41 pm    

Why Is there a "Tip:" with a sentence about "texteel"???? or whatever that is before my question about strings?