The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel guitar in NY
Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2014 8:09 am    

Doe's anyone know of any pedal steel guitar clubs venues,get togethers etc in New York State. It seems those of us who want to get involved go to a jam or just see another steel player have to go way out of state to do so. I keep watching the upcoming events section and the closest one I see is in Rhode Island. Still quite a hall. If anyone in the northern NY region, including the Adirondacks etc,is interested I'd be willing to try and put something together to play, talk shop or even learn how to work on a pedal steel. I do know there are several terriffic players up here but I never hear from them. Please let me know what you are thinking or if this is just wishfull thinking. Thanks. Chuck

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2014 6:21 pm    

There are a few of us around Chuck, here in frozen NY state, but alas, we all seem to be hours away from one another... There is an impromptu steel jam at a SGF member's music store every few years. I have gone twice and it was a lot of fun.. Not sure he will do it this year, but he might if we get some interest.. you are way up north.. Pretty far off the beaten path.

There are some players in the Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse zone.. Very few down here in the Southern Tier, me and one or two guys around Binghamton, and a couple an hour or two west of me.. Its just a very big state without much in the way of opportunity for us steel players.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Larry Rafferty

Ballston Spa, NY
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2014 7:31 pm    

Chuck,

There are at least 12 PSG players within 30 miles of my house. I am located 7 miles south
of Saratoga Springs, NY. At least 6 of the dozen are in working bands. During the past year several
of them have showed up at my house for jam/practice sessions. I usually keep 2 or 3 steels set up
and ready to play for when steelers stop in to visit. Two years ago Andy Narzinski held an all day
SG jam at the Veterans Club just off the Northway at Exit 8...and more than 25 steelers showed up.
I'm sure there is interest if a warm snow free day could be found. Keep us posted.

They laughed when I sat down to play, cause' somebody pulled my chair away...

Bonnie Pelkey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2014 7:40 pm    

Hi chuck, Erwin Yelle here we're in Plattsburgh and I would like to play talk shop or such. I play every Sunday afternoon at a local V.F.W and we have guest up after half time. You would be more than welcome to come. I also found not much here for steel players ,wishful thinking best done by Wynn Stewart Smile

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2014 9:15 pm    

Larry Rafferty wrote:
Chuck,

There are at least 12 PSG players within 30 miles of my house. I am located 7 miles south
of Saratoga Springs, NY. At least 6 of the dozen are in working bands. During the past year several
of them have showed up at my house for jam/practice sessions. I usually keep 2 or 3 steels set up
and ready to play for when steelers stop in to visit. Two years ago Andy Narzinski held an all day
SG jam at the Veterans Club just off the Northway at Exit 8...and more than 25 steelers showed up.
I'm sure there is interest if a warm snow free day could be found. Keep us posted.

I was at the get together, that, Andy held. It was a great time. I got to meet several players, I had never heard of and they were all a treat. I drove up all the way from Long Island and it was worth every mile.

Larry Jamieson is the steeler, music store owner, who, held a jam at his music store in Walton, NY. That was a nice day, also. I met a few new guys there too. We had a great time playing and passing around ideas. Hopefully, he'll do it again. It's always nice to meet and greet other steel players and hear different variations of playing.

Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2014 6:59 am     Steel guitar in NY

Thanks to all who reached out. Now I have something to work with. Larry, you are the closest so I just might be calling on you to set something up at some point. Erwin thanks as well and I would'nt mind taking a ride some Sunday up your way as I know it's beautiful up there and my wife wants to see the ice sculptures anyway. I also agree with Bob as we are a big state and can expect to do some traveling if it gets me to where the action is. I was wondering if anyone knows Randy Rollman. He lives in Corinth I beleive. I uesd to see him play at Ridin Hy Ranch in Chestertown NY a few years back. Randy helped me get on my way with the pedal steel however I'm in no way the quality player that man is. Anyone who has heard that man play knows what I mean. Thanks again and I look forward to speaking with all of you real soon. Chuck M

Zeke Cory

Hinsdale, New York USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2014 11:52 am     Steel Players In Western New York ...

There are about a dozen or so steel players from Buffalo heading south to the Olean, New York area, by the PA state line. A couple more I know around the Hornell area as well. I am from Olean NY, Dean Seamon is from Belfast, NY, about 8 miles from here, another fine player in Bradford, and another from Warsaw, NY. Harry Nourse, a steel player himself from Warsaw, owns the North Fork Music Park. We hold a Labor Day Weekend Jam every year the first weekend in September. Everyone is invited to come and camp and play whenever you want to for a great dance crowd. One year we had 11 steel players and had a real ball. The last couple years we have had 4 or 5, possibly due to the economy or previous bookings. There is a full band Friday thru Sunday nite. I am amazed that there are as many steel guitarists within an hour or so drive from here. It would be fun to get us all together sometime!

Patrick Strain

Binghamton/Gilbertsville, NY
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2014 12:59 pm    

I'm outside of Oneonta, NY. I'm still a beginner, but there are at least four other players near me.

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2014 10:56 am    

Zeke, did you ever get a pot for your volume pedal?

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2014 4:49 pm    

Hey Chuck:
Randy Rollman is a friend of mine. Haven't seen him in several years. Last time I saw Randy was at a gig in Hague, NY where I played steel and Randy played bass. He is a great guy and great player for sure.

These days I'm usually out on my bass boat during the non-winter months when spare time allows. I haven't been to a steel get-together in many years. It could be fun.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson

Zeke Cory

Hinsdale, New York USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2014 7:34 am     Ray ... and Tiny ...

Yes I did but there are all "iffy" anymore. Got 2 new ones and one was just a bit noisy and the other works ok. I did notice that the taper was not exactly like what I had in my old AB pot however. Funny how a slight difference like that is so noticeable when you play regularily. I am afraid that sometime soon I may have to go to a potless pedal of some kind. I looked at the Telonics but it seems to be a little expensive for a volume pedal in my opinion. More-so, I hate to have something else that needs to be plugged in. We'll see. I Hope you are well as I havent talked to ya lately. You gotta make it to Warsaw this Labor Day for the Steel Guitar Jam. They would love ya there and you will have a ball as well. And Tiny, we would also love to have you up there as well. I need a good C6th lesson or three! Its a very informal and relaxed weekend. Thanks guys and Keep in touch.

Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2014 9:09 am    

Thanks Tiny I'm hoping something good can come of my post. I'm seeing Randy Saturday morning to work out some tuning and adjustment issues with my Sierra. As well you are right, Randy is an outstanding player. I would like to have the licks he throws away. Have fun fishing.. And thanks to everyone who has posted a reply to my post. Regards, Chuck M

Bob Vantine

Freeville, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 8:17 am    

I was at Andy's show also ..... had a great time .... although a LONG drive from the Ithaca area ..... but would do it again in a heartbeat !

Got to meet so many great players & people .... Larry , John , Andy and so many more !

I could get a local FD hall down here if any were interested .
Peavey Guitars

Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 8:44 am    

Bob I have a great place to have an event just 1 minute off of exit 25 off the north way. The problem is getting guys together that wont mind traveling and at this point in time I don't know any pros to invite that would draw the interest. Hell I don't even have a host band,I just have a place to play. I will keep it out there and possibly when the weather changes so will our spirits towards holding an event.
Chuck.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2014 6:34 pm     Re: Steel Players In Western New York ...

Zeke Cory wrote:
Harry Nourse, a steel player himself from Warsaw, owns the North Fork Music Park. We hold a Labor Day Weekend Jam every year the first weekend in September. Everyone is invited to come and camp and play whenever you want to for a great dance crowd. One year we had 11 steel players and had a real ball. The last couple years we have had 4 or 5, possibly due to the economy or previous bookings. There is a full band Friday thru Sunday nite.

It's a dormant thread but the bit about the Labor Day gathering stuck in my mind and I found it. I don't see any mention of this year's event on the Facebook link I found, and it appears their web site has changed or is gone.

Is this happening again in 2014? Don't know for sure I'll make it but it's fairly close by and sounds worth a try.

Thanks!

(I know this is more of an "event" deal than a "players" question, but since it was brought up in a thread here I figured I'd get better results keeping it here)

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 5:09 pm    

Patrick Strain. I used to know a steel player form outside Oneonta back when I attended college there by the name of John Trent. Have you heard of him and if so, is he still around ? Last I saw him was in Spring of 1983 when he and I drove down to Armonk NY to see Jeff Newman and Buddy Emmons play at a PSGA event. John DeMaille was there.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2014 8:33 am    

Patrick,
If you want to talk a little shop, check out Country Express Music.com website. I've been playing with this band ans we usually play within driving distance from
Oneonta. In fact, Larry Jameson, a fine steel player himself, plays bass in the band. They're booked through November, all over the place, so, maybe we could hook up.
JD

Robert Bunting

New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2014 12:42 am    

There's only 2 weeks left, but all summer long at our seasonal jam in Greenwood Lake, N.Y. We have had usually 2 steels on stage every Wednesday night.

We have quite a few Steelers in North Jersey, Rockland and Orange counties. A couple over in Connecticut and a bunch in The NYC area.
Orange County is a hike for some of you guys.
As was stated previously, New York is a BIG state.

It was really great to spend time with other Steelers in a jam setting.
If we find a new venue for the fall, I'll post it.

Randy Rollman

Hadley NY USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2014 6:07 am     Steel guitar gathering/jam

I'm up for some kind of get-together. I need to steal some new licks!

Patrick Strain

Binghamton/Gilbertsville, NY
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2014 6:36 am    

John Brabant,
I don't know John Trent. I'm 36 and have only been in the area for a few years.

John De Maille,
I keep meaning to check out Country Express. I've spoken with Larry by email a few times. I've only been playing for a few years and am entirely self taught. I've definitely hit the wall because I never get to see a real player up close. I need to get in touch with some local people who can give me guidance on the steel.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2014 9:11 am    

hi Patrick.. I play pretty close you you quite regularly, at least twice a month, in Cortland at the Country Music Park about 40 minutes up rt 81 from Binghamton.. Classic Country for the most part,and the steel is right out front, and there is a LOT of it.. I lucked out with these guys. Good band, good vocals, good musicianship and a VERY nice family oriented venue that does Sunday afternoons, and friday and saturday nights 7-11, so you won't be dragging your butt in at 3 am..

If you would prefer, I am in Candor, about 40 minutes west of Binghamton, and would be happy to show you a bunch of stuff at my place some time.

Feel free to PM me anytime... bob

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2014 9:15 am    

Larry Jamison has a hosted a few low key, low pressure steel jams at his store, and maybe we can talk him into doing another one real soon.. How about it Larry?.. I'll buy the donuts this time!.... bob

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2014 2:22 pm    

Bob Carlucci wrote:
Larry Jamison has a hosted a few low key, low pressure steel jams at his store, and maybe we can talk him into doing another one real soon.. How about it Larry?.. I'll buy the donuts this time!.... bob

I could supply some clams..... Laughing

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 2:55 pm    

I am in the Glens Falls / Lake George area. Up for a get together if time permits! Smile

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 6:07 am    

Well, Zeke Cory contacted me and said the Labor Day Weekend jam in Warsaw NY was alive and well so I went down 2 of the 3 days. Had an absolute blast, and I think about a gazillion musicians were there. (drummers - they had so many drummers I lost count!) Hats off to Harry Nourse for a great time - I believe he said this gathering is in its 23rd year and I have already put it on the calendar for next Labor Day weekend. I highly recommend this event to anyone looking to play and have a fun time.

And thanks to Zeke, Harry and Chris McGauley for giving this student some pointers and some confidence!